9 year old lack of confidence

chickadee1976

Reaction score
My son has a school talk to do next week.

Normally he reads very well and confidently when reading say a story book or even tonight when he was reading a passage from his research materials.

Tonight we began his talk and i asked him to read what he had written for me.

He instantly burst into tears, and couldnt continue.

Eventually i got him to read it, with me facing away.

He mumbled his way thru it and i kept having to ask what the next sentance was.

After he finished i told him it was really good and asked if he was still scared.

Yes and more crying was the answer.

He gave me a reason of when everyone is looking at him it makes him feel like he has done something bad??

I dont know what to do to make it better.

I reckon by then end of the week i can get him reading infront of me just by practising it. But i think when he gets to school he will be upset again

Is awful to see them upset, especially about school stuff, you can be left feeling you have little control over what happens to them there :( How about popping in to have a chat with his teacher, or giving him/her a call during break, they might know some tactics to help him, and if not, they will be aware so can support him on the day. I don't know what else to suggest, do you think maybe giving him a lucky mascot or something might help??? Hope it goes well for him :hug:

Aww poor kid, i feel for him, i was the same when i was little. My dad used to tell me to imagine that everyone that was looking at me was in their underwear with a birds nest on their heads. This used to make me lautgh and helped me break the tension. A special talisman helps, a pencil which is special for the day, maybe?

Hope it goes well for him :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Lisa

Thanks girls.

ll try the lucky charm

But ive called the school, as i feel i should discuss it with the teacher. I dont want the same problem following him all thru school.

aww poor thing,l'm sure he'll grow out of it,my just turned 10 year old daughter should of gone on a school holiday on the 9th june,she had been looking forward to it,but as it got closer her bottle went.l've had tears at bedtime etc.so l ended up cancelling the holiday which l'm sure she would of enjoyed.l think what she didnt like was the fact that she couldn't ring me and l couldn't ring her,oh well,maybe she'll have the confidence to go next year before she goes to senior school

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back