Advice ladies :( really worried :(

Jaxx01

Reaction score
Hey ladies..

My beautiful little Stanley is now 5 days old...

Im bottle feeding but Im just really worried.

He is just so sleepy :( I had to wake him quite a bit for feeds but esterday he was having 1 1/2 - 2oz every 2 hrs :) which was good until I woke up this moring and realised he hadnt woken for 6 hrs overnight!!

I know Im prrob gonna get the odd 'you should think yourself lucky' comment but I dont, Im really worried...6 hrs is too long for a baby so little isnt it?? :(

Any advice on what you LOs had at 4-5 days old would be greatly appreciated xxxx

Hey hon. I think there will be different approaches given to u but for me I never woke a sleeping baby for a feed. If there's no weight gain issues or specific reasons for needing a set amount of milk I would be baby led. I breasted and fed on demand so if baby slept 6 hours or just 2 I would go with it.

As I said this is just what I did so I'd see what others did.

Congrats in ur little one too!!! X. X

Thanks hun..he hasnt been weighed yet...Ive got the midwife coming out today to see us for a 5 day check so hoping she will weigh him then? They didnt weigh him on first visit??

Im hoping shes going to say it's fine, its just I woke up in a bit of a fright really, thought something had happened :( as it was unusual for him to sleep that long!! xx

When I was in hospital they told me that it was ok for new babies to go 6hrs between feeds, they were getting the mums to wake baby up if it was more than 6hrs.

It's all new to Stanley so maybe he's just having a sleepy time taking it all in, I'm sure he'll make up for it soon enough x

Aww thats reassuring thanks Tinks...it's just worrying because they are just soo tiny and you think they need it!! xx

Congrats on your LO xx

He sounds likje he's doing really well. My son was very very sleepy for the first few weeks. Because he dropped alot at first they told me to wake him every 2 hours. This was the worst advice I could've been given. It made me so anxious. LO didn't want to wake to be force fed, in the end it just made him have a really bad sleep pattern. And also he only dropped that first weigh in, which is normal anyway, he gained every time after that, but they made such an issue out of 'he must be fed every 2 hours' it really took something away from our first couple of months together.

I reckon if he's feeding well while he's awake and then sleeping well at night, enjoy it! I defo won't be waking the next baby for feeds, unless there is a serious weight gain issue!!

xxxxx

Was he a little jaundiced? This can make them very sleepy. I'm bf so I know it's a bit different but I'm sure bottle fed babies sleep a lot longer than breast fed as it takes longer to digest formula. I think the 2-4 hour guidelines are more for breast feeding but see what your midwife thinks, and don't worry if hes dropped, Kynon dropped a fair bit by day 5 and they werent concerned its when it continues they worry more. X

Lilyanna was very sleepy around that age I had to bath her at one point just to try and wake her up and she went 6hrs at night which worried me but mws all say 6hrs is the max they should go for.. Maybe just having a little growth spurt.. She's fine now going 4-5hrs at night and waking herself.. She still has the odd sleepy day but overall she's okay.. As long as he's gaining weight and able to wake at some point I wouldn't worry..xxx

At our feeding class at ante natal the Mw said anything up to and including 6 hours was fine xx

So midwife came and sort of told me off for leaving him 6 hours?? But Ive spoken to some other people who have said the same as you guys!!! turns out he's only lost 140g in his first 5 days (he weighed 3300g at birth) which is excellent :) and now he's having 3oz every 3-4 hours and actually waking for them..

She said him being sleepy for the first few days is most likely because I had a short labour (2h49m) and he was in a bit of shock and was trying to gather his energy back!!

Thanks for your help girls :)
xxx

Just wanted to say big congrats on your little man! xxxxx

Thanks Corrinne :) Going to get round to doing my birth story today lol xx

Gonna keep my eye out for ur birth story!! Still need to do mine :blush:

Glad his weight is good that's the main thing!! Xx

I wouldn't worry at all hun, he'll wake when he's hungry. Our 1 rule is that we never wake Jack when he's sleeping even if he misses a feed because he'll make up for it when he wakes up! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back