Baby Porridge & Weaning - help :-)

munchkin1982

Reaction score
Hi guys, got a couple of questions here...

I've been starting Layla on fruity baby porridge in the mornings which she loves :) It's going down really well. I need a little advice on the amount that I give her though. I know that from what I read it says stuff like they should start off with 1-2 spoons etc but Layla always seems to want more... ;-) I have been giving her a little more but have not exceeded 5-6 spoons yet as don't want to overload her and make her ill. Should I give her more? Or should I increase it a bit more next week etc? I also know that she will let me know when she doesn't want any more by turning away, closing mouth etc etc but she's just not doing that!

Also, I am using the Cow & Gate fruity porridge (had a sample through of that) but I also bought the C&G Banana & Strawberry one that you mix up with formula/breast milk. My question here is really how do you stop it going so watery thin after just a few spoons if she wants more? I make it so its "baby food texture" but just find that it thins itself out of its own accord? Anyone else find this? I also find that they're guide lines of 1 spoon to 8 spoons of milk etc wrong. Unless I am doing it wrong? Any suggestions here would also be gratefully received.

And last of all, I have been giving Layla these porridges since Sat (so a week really) but would like a bit of advice on when I should look at introducing the purees of fruit/veg etc. Is it too early to try her on a pot of chicken & veg for lunch (OH bought it thinking he was being helpful lol).

Originally I wanted to leave weaning until 6 month but the porridge is going down so well at the moment I wonder if I should try her on other things too?

Thanks for reading another long post from me lol. xx

I dint go by the box, charley has the fruity porridge too, he loves it. I mix up about 6 spoonfuls of powder then mix the water in to make it not too thick but not runny.
I started charley straight off on a bowl full and he would soon let me know when he's had enough (not very often though cos he's a pig)
I also introduced veg and fruit straight away as I started him straight on 3 meals a day so if you feel happy then try her with some fruit and veg
I'm hoping I've answered all your questions, I'm on my phone so can't see x x

aaawww thanks Chaz... yeah, I might try fruit and veg too then. As for the porridge though... do you find it goes thinner though after a few spoons? This morning the last spoons worth was like I was just spoon feeding her milk lol :-S

Also - what about yoghurts? Do you give them to Charley and if so which ones? Obviously Layla is 19 weeks now so which ones are good to start her off on if any? And i'm assuming she won't finish it all in one go so can you put it back in fridge and use again a bit later? Or must it be thrown? Sorry for so many questions... so much to learn!

Loving the new pic by the way :) Still cannot believe how quickly the time is flying by! xx

I did try charley on yogurts when he was 5 months but he kept throwing them back up so I stopped. I've only just this week started him with them again but I've been naughty and giving him frubes. He loves them and hasn't been sick after yet.
Those little stars are meant to be good. I'm sure the yogurt will be fine if you put it back in the fridge as long as you use it within 24 hours
I've never noticed the porridge going thin but now thinking about it, the last few spoonfuls do go runny x x

no problem hun. glad he is taking them better now though. will look in to the little stars ones when i go shopping later :) thanks hun :) xx

i've noticed that and have no remedy for it!! I give h the little stars yoghurts and he loves them!! £1.45 for 12 at the moment in tesco!!!

Ollie loves the fruity porridge and I mix it really thick and never had a problem. He has cereal for beeline then mixture of cubed veg and fruit for lunch and tea (depends what I've got left in the freezer) and all goes down well!! Had the sick problem with yoghurts so avoiding them at the moment

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back