Breast feeding and upset tummies

abcd1234

Reaction score
Tally seems to have an upset tummy, i can tall when her belly is upsetting her cos she'll winge when she's attached and feeding and a short while after will fill her nappy with a very very runny nasty poo.

It's been ok mainly but last night she was on and off the breast and crying on and off for 6 hours, i ashamedly admit to getting very annoyed with it all at 1am but i felt awful after cos i know it was just her tummy hurting, she had at least 4 poo's the time she was awake and her belly was grumbly and going crazy the whole time and she fell asleep very quickly after the last nappy change.

Is it something i've eaten which could be upsetting her? She's exclusively breastfeed so it must be my milk, theres plenty of it and she's feeding well but i dont really understand what could cause it, i havnt eaten anything unsusual or large quanitities of any food. I feel so ba for her when she's obviously upset but i dont know how to stop it :(

Are you burping her? maybe the wingeing on the breast is she needs a burp?.. Runny poo's are right for BF babies but what do you mean when you say 'nasty'? Coopers poo's are bright yellow with little bits in and don't really smell that bad. I use reuseable nappies tho and i have noticed that when i've had to use a disposable they smell worse? maybe the chemicals. Could be something you've eaten or drank i noticed Cooper was really bad after i'd drank orange juice. Hope it goes for her there's nothing worse than a baby in pain. If its colic then there is stuff you can get infacol for one. Hope it eases. When Coopers bad i just rock him in my arms and speak gently to him and try and stay calm i know its hard but i think being anything else than that will make her worse. :hug: :hug: to both of you xx

I've tried winding her, usually she doesnt need it but if she doesnt settle i always try it then check her nappy (plus Dave seems to be obsessed with winding her, if she detatches for a second he tries to take her lol)

I'm not really sure how to describe them, i know her poos should be yellow and runny and have like mustard seeds in, they're yellow and watery with no bits and they smell more then usual, it's also more her reaction when she goes, if you watch her she'll get all upset until she manages to go and then she wants her nappy changing immediately (she did have a slight nappy rash but it's gone now and was almost like it'd got sore from having the poos like an adults might) as soon as she's changed and been she's happy again (unless theres more to come)

I think it must be some sort of food i've eaten as she seems ok today (so far), i had heard oranges can do it but i havnt had any or drunk any juice :think: if it keeps happening i might keep a food diary and see if theres any links

I'd say midna hit the nail on the head. I remember Galen going through this also. Babies guts need to mature and at a certain point they start making all kinds of weird tummy noises, gurgling and and so on. Also some babies poo lots, others don't. Galen used to poo about 5 times a day, often during or just after a feed. And he'd fuss and go once he got to the tummy grumbling stage around 3 weeks old. He would burp but that was only half the problem as the other end needed to sort itself out too.

I doubt its anything you've eaten. I asked this of my HV when it happned to us and she said nope, it was all perfectly normal and most BF babies go through it.

We went with Infacol to help the wind and also do the leg movement and so on to help him go. It does cause them pain when their tummies are digesting and they are trying to poo or let some wind out. Galen farts for England and fusses lots doing so.

Its taken till around now, the 9-10 week stage for his tummy to settle better and he now poos once or twice a day only, but fusses and strains to do so, then erupts a bit :roll: and when he farts in his sleep he at least does not wake now.

Sounds exactly like my Lo too. I know it's hard but i think i am finally accepting that there's no answer and you just have to stick it out until their gut matures. It helps knowing others are going through it too and it's nothing you are doing wrong.
Hope it gets better soon. :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back