Cutting the cord

maybebaby

Reaction score
I heard it's better for the baby if you wait 2 mins or so after it's born before you cut the cord? Has anyone heard this?

yes iv heard it but Harleys cord was cut straight away

You can ask that the cord isn't cut until it's stopped pulsating. As long as everything is okay with both you and LO, they'll leave it.

Never heard that! Damien's was cut right away as he taken to the resuscutaire (however you spell it)

that is true hun, you can ask for them to wait. I wanted to , but OH had to cut Charlies quickly as she was too taken for some oxygen.

So is there a reason you should wait? I heard it's better for the baby but I don't know why?

I want a home birth so shouldn't have any problems asking them to wait. OH's already asked if he can do it but he's so squeamish I reckon he'll chicken out!

Well my OH, said he isn't going to cut the cord as he is squemish and he will probably pass out or throw up, I told him to stop being so stupid, lol. he'd better do it at the time, or once it's done the midwifes are gonna get a shock when I dive out of bed and go for his throat lol :evil:

They didn't cut Ella's cord for a while, think it's better for the baby that they don't (can't remember why!).

They offered DH the chance but he was too caught up in cooing over Ella (and was so scared of doing it wrong even though they practically marker out the cutting area!!)

DH cut Lydia's cord...it was done fairly quickly as she had had her head stuck for a fair while so she had to have air waved over her on the recussitation table thinggy....they didn't have to do much...just waved this thing that blows air over her face and she immediately cried....but it had to be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back