Halifax - Mortgage payment holidays

Sabrina

Reaction score
Sorry if this is on the wrong board...... :think: didn't know where to put it.

One of my friends told me to look into whether I could get a mortgage payment holiday to cover some of my maternity leave.

I spoke with the Halifax (my mortgage lender) today and they said I'd be entitled to between 1 and 6 months mortgage payment holiday. :dance:

This is going to make a BIG difference to how we manage the finances during my maternity leave. I'm pretty sure now we could manage for me to stay off up to a year after the baby is born. :clap: That's such a relief!

I thought I'd share the news in case it might be helpful to someone else.

Here's the link to the page on their website with all the info.

http://halifax.co.uk/mortgages/Existing ... uiries.asp

:hug:
Sabrina
x

Oh that's a relief for you :D

Money is a major worry when you're pregnant isn't it? :?

we are entitled to upto 12 months but will prob only need about 4. I have a loan which will prob stop me from havng a full year off (unless they could freeze payments for me for 3 months, which i doubt they will :( )

There really are some good deals out there for pregnant ladies (maternity leave deals etc). So pleased you got your mortgage break, it's a big chunk of change every month paying the mortgage (or rent) any breaks in that are so welcome I'm sure. :cheer:

Hi Sabrina,

I've been sorting this out today too - we're with Northern Rock and have just requested the 6 month break - which will allow us some breathing space and to buy some baby bits and pieces.

They verbally agreed it, and now we have to send them a formal letter signed by us both (as it's a joint mortgage) and a copy of my MATB1 form.

Love

Valentine xx

We took a mortgage break with Northern Rock & it was easy peasy, couldn't believe it.....start paying again on the 1st April :(

It makes a huge difference, great news you managed to get one too Sabrina!

This sounds like a great idea, what happens with the interest does anyone know?

Also does anyone know if Natwest does this?

:cheer:

mum2be? said:
This sounds like a great idea, what happens with the interest does anyone know?

Also does anyone know if Natwest does this?

:cheer:

I believe the interest gets added on at the end of the mortgage. I thought this was better than having to re-mortgage and borrow more to cover my maternity leave. :)

Have a look on NatWest's website I'm sure you should be able to find out if they offer the same thing in their FAQ section.

I'll think I'll speak with mine, The Portman Building Society too. It would be useful if they could do a payment holiday at the end of my maternity leave though when we will have the least money coming in.

Thanks Sabrina x

Nikkix

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back