how much weight is your breastfed baby gaining?

EllieG

Reaction score
Hiya, have been a little concerned about Freyas weight gain, she was 7lb 10 oz at birth, and is now 8lb 9 oz, she has only gained 3 and 1/2 oz this week, she started on the 50th centile and has dropped to below the 25th, the hv says as long as they gain 1/2 an oz a day this is ok but really she has just scraped in there.
How is everyone elses baby doing?

http://www.pregnancyforum.co.uk/forum/v ... ing+charts

Check out the link provided by Tasha - the charts most used atm are for formula fed babies. Breastfed babies look long and thing but are perfectly healthy :) Breast milk contains a hormone called leptin which helps babies know when they've had enough to eat so they never overfeed.

Edit: Just checked for you and it looks like your daughter is the perfect weight :cheer:

My two have always been unusually high gainers, Alex was 6lb 1oz at birth and at 17 weeks he's 17lb 2.5oz which puts him on the 98th centile. However most breastfed babies gain weight slower which is perfectly normal. If mine were having problems and I was being told to worry by HVs etc I'd make them put a breastfed baby chart in my red book, but as they don't say anything I'm happy to chart him on the one that's provided.

Freya is doing fine, as long as she's producing lots of wet and dirty nappies and seems happy then you're doing a fab job. Keep up the hard work ;)

Thank you so much for your replies. I feel much better about it all now, think i will print them, my hv said there is little difference, but evidently she was wrong.

Brody was also around the 25th, it didn't really bother me, they are all different. Sometimes I think these charts do more harm than good, if you baby is feeding ok and seems happy that says more than a graph IMHO

EllieG said:
Thank you so much for your replies. I feel much better about it all now, think i will print them, my hv said there is little difference, but evidently she was wrong.

I am so happy it helped you hun :hug:

1/2 OZ a day :shock:

bailey only put on 1 oz in 4 days :shock:

but they was happy with that they said...

Im a bit paronoid as well now that hes not getting enough..

sunshinestars said:
1/2 OZ a day :shock:

bailey only put on 1 oz in 4 days :shock:

but they was happy with that they said...

Im a bit paronoid as well now that hes not getting enough..
it's quite normal though fo babies to loose up to 10 % in that first week so try not to worry, to gain is good!

Austin's dropped from above the 50th centile to below the 25th, but he's happy & healthy in every other way so I'm not too worried. I sounds like Freya's doing great!

melissa was 7lb 7oz at birth (10 june) and she was 9lb 5oz on friday (6 july) x

trixipaws said:
melissa was 7lb 7oz at birth (10 june) and she was 9lb 5oz on friday (6 july) x
You are doing so well Trixi, am gettin Freya weighed tomorrow so fingers crossed :pray: sometimes i feel like all i do is feed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back