I can't keep up with feeds

traci

Reaction score
Alice is a hungry baby! I'm trying to BF as much as I can. She'll feed for about 20-30mins at a time and then an hour later she's crying for more. I'm having to top her up with formula to give me a chance to produce more milk and I can't express much any more because of her demanding feeds. Any tips on how I can keep BF'ing for longer. Don't want to switch to bottles full time x

I'm afraid it's one of those things the first few weeks where you don't have much choice but to have a baby stuck to your boob! You need to let her suckle to increase your milk supply so by topping up with formula it can have the opposite effect and decrease your supply. Even though it seems like your empty they still suckle as messages are sent to your body from this to increase supplies for a few days time. It's so hard isn't it? Im still feeding nearly every 2 hours night and day but it is getting easier now and we get the odd 3-4 hours now and then! I've also just accepted that I'm always going to be sitting feeding which as helped I don't feel so stressed about it now as it's normal!

Also don't worry about expressing until 6 weeks some say leave it til then anyway, I rarely express either as I just don't have the supplies! Do you give her both boobs? Around 4-6 weeks I would sit feeding for an hour then he demands more 1-2 hours, think they have a growth spurt then! Nobody tells you how hard and demanding breastfeeding is do they!

Sounds like shes comfort sucking and not actually feeding as often as you think. You can do this, don't think your boobs are soft or empty as they aren't. Keep drinking loads of water, rest and lots of skin to skin. Get someone else to do some cuddling for a bit and see if that helps.

Also it sounds like a growth spurt, or a wonder week (google it for a better explaination than i can give!!) just keep doing what she asks and work with her. The first 6 weeks are the hardest x

Well I know she's definitely had a growth spurt, put on nearly a pound in 2 weeks. She's fine at night, it's normally in the evenings that's she seems more hungry. No one said it could be like this! I'll only express a small bottle, maybe about 3oz just so DH can feed her and take the pressure off me. But haven't done that in a few days. She only has 2 4oz bottles in a day. Is that too much formula if I'm BF'ing? She'll have a bottle before bedtime and have a good 4hr sleep. Should I just keep that bottle going and stick to BF'ing the rest of the time?

Sorry for all the questions! I've got no one else to ask, every mum I know bottle fed! I should get to th BF support group really!!

It's such hard work isnt it! Ryan is 11 weeks and he has days where i'm constantly feeling him.
I'm no expert but in Italy (where i live) the Leche league has a 24 hr breastfeeding hotline (predictive text wrote gorilla!! Now that would be interesting)! I'm sure there is a UK one.

You can phone NCT or go to their lactation consultants. I had similar situation bar the weight gain - he wasn't gaining that much so I am topping up but it sounds like you are doing a great job, it is hard at first but does get better

I would prefer a 24hr breastfeeding gorilla :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back