New Parent's baby shopping list????

crystabell

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a mum to be in March and I am wanting to start buying things for my baby so that when he or she is born I will have everything ready. I am wanting to make a list so I can tick off what I have and see what I have left to buy to keep organised but need a bit of help lol!! Here is what I have thought of so far:

Cot, Baby Bouncer, Steriliser, Pram, Car Seat, Towels, Clothing, Baby Mat, Skincare things such as lotions, wipes, Bottles, Bedding, Moses Basket, Baby Bath, Baby Monitor, Dummies, Nappies....ETC.

The list seems neverending and I am sure I have missed off loads already. I would appreciate any advice from mums or mums to be to find out what you bought for your baby so that I make sure I have everything that my baby is going to need. Any advice will be much appreciated :D

Crystal xx

hi hun thre is a brilliant one on the back of the mothercare catalogue

Ah right,

Thanks I will have to pick one up. Did you find there was a lot to buy? Which make of prams do you think are the best for a newborn?

um...

Travel System... or Pram/Pushchair + Car Seat
Cot/Cotbed + Mattress
Cot mobile if you want one
Moses Basket if you want one + Mattress
Cot Bedding, sheets + blankets etc
Changing Mat
Bouncer
Playmat
Hooded Towels
Bath + Top+Tail Bath thingy or Bath Seat for big bath
Wardrobe or something else to put their clothes in/on
Steriliser of some sort
Bottles
Nursing bras if you want to breastfeed
Breast pads regardless
Breast Pump if you want one
Babygrows/vests/scratch mitts/couple of hats sizes newborn and 0-3 months
Bibs
Nappies
Nappy Wrapper if you want one
Nappy Cream/Sudocrem/Vaseline
Baby Wipes
Baby Shampoo/Baby Oil/Moisturiser though not necessary for a newborn
Little teething toys with the gel/water bits on, or comforter toys/taggies

That's the main stuff we've got I think. I'm sure there's more but that's most of what I can think of off the top of my head. But I'm a first time mom so people who are already moms might have a better idea!

I think that the best way to pick the best pram for you is to go in to Mothercare or another pram shop and try some out. I have got the Mothercare Trenton Deluxe which is a lovely pram but might not be suitable for some people as it is quite large and heavy when folded. It all depends on if you have a car or use public transport as if you use public transport you will need a smaller pram. I have got a car but as it is small I have had to take the parcel shelf off to fit the pram in the boot. The only thing I would suggest is making sure that if you buy a travel system make sure that you don't have to use the car seat as part of the pram all of the time and that your newborn baby will beable to lay flat. If you have got a car most shops will let you try the pram to see if it fits in your boot before you buy it and also try the car seat if it comes with the pram to make sure it fits your car.

Make sure you have got plenty of maternity pads/sanitary towels ready for after the birth. I used maternity pads for a day as they are softer but I kept leaking so I then ended up using night time sanitary towels with wings. If you arn't planning to breastfeed you will still need quite a few breastpads as you will probably leak quite a bit until your milk has dried up. It sounds like you have everything for your baby and so long as you have got the essentials you can get everything else afterwards. I'm not sure if a few things below have been mentioned yet.

Bottle and teat brush

Bath sponge

Calpol(good to have and even if you don't use it for ages it won't go off for a long time)

Baby nail scissors(if you want to use them)

Room thermometer

Grobag(if you want to use one this is the official site www.bumpto3.co.uk so that you can find out info on them. I actually bought mine from e bay new but cheaper)

Lots of cotton wool balls, the large ones, as best to just use water and cotton wool on baby rather than wipes as their skin's so sensitive and there's still chemicals in even sensitive wipes :hug:
Muslin squares, more versatile than bibs :D
Metanium is great for if baby gets sore skin, nappy rash, it doesn't soak into the skin, just protects it from water and so helps heal it faster then other products (though it is full of chemicals :? )
Some Number 2 nappies if using disposables because time flies and baby will be needing them before you know it too
hehe

Don't bother with a bath - you won't get much use out of it :wink:

A little tip.

Get loads of cheap white handtowels around 75p at Asda and Tesco.
Ideal if baby is sicky, I put them on his changing mat, bouncy chair etc to save me washing everything all the time and they're a lot thicker than muslins.

Cx

Moomum said:
Don't bother with a bath - you won't get much use out of it :wink:

I agree. I only used my baby bath for about a month and then I bought bath rest to use in the proper bath. If you don't want to use a proper bath at first if you have got a fairly large sink you could use that. I also wouldn't bother buying a top and tail bowl as you can just use one normal bowl and make sure you wash top first and bottom second.

http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product/B0 ... 1&mcb=core

http://www.boots.com/shop/product_detai ... id=1048032

http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... 786_10001_

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare