• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Push me to the doctors!

Poppy1987

Reaction score
Evening all,

Not sure if any of you know my story but I came off the mini pill April 2011 and had my first 28 day cycle in May 2011 since then I have regular cycles every 28 days and positive opk's.

I'm still not pregnant and never even had a sniff of a line so I think the next step for me is the doctors.

Can anyone tell me when the best time would be for me to go (what cycle day if need be) and what do I need to ask and do?

I have all my cycles written down so maybe I could take those?

I'm so scared to go as I think something will be wrong and also I have about a stone ish over weight and I feel they will blame that as an easy way out?

Thanks x

Hey poppy,

Id see the doc who will know doubt want to do day 21 progesterone to check for ovulation and day 3 hormone profile (checks eggs, thyroid etc) and maybe semen analysis for hubby. That's probably the first few tests to do.

Sounds like your having regular cycles though so may just be a case of time xx

when i was going to the drs i took notes of EVERYTHING in my cycles....cycle lenghts and dates etc and dates of appts etc...it helps them see the big picture.

as for best cycle day to go i wouldnt know hun.

you mention ur weight...has it increased since coming off the pill? if so it may be worth mentioning as i know some things can effect weight.

I was quite persistent with going to the dr so be firm...and theyl try and say ur stressing and that why ur ot catching as its an easy get out of jail free card for them but u obv know ur body better than they do. on the other hand they may say u havent been trying long enuff as my gynaecologist said if it wasnt for my irregular cycles he woodnt be doing anything until wed been trying for 2 yrs at least as we are under 30 and healthy

hope it all goes well xxx

Hiya Poppy :)

It doesn't really matter what cd you see the doctor at first because they'll just arrange those appointments for your next corresponding cd.

What is your BMI?

Have you ever had a STI or maybe have possibly picked one up that you don't know about?

You have great cycles, so to be honest, it isn't looking like it is you. It might be more sensible to get your hubby to go first and get a semen analysis done because it is just one appointment where he produces a sample and he is 100% diagnosed.

You will have to have two or three appointments and an invasive smear test and I can tell you now that the bloods will very likely come back fine :) Sure take your cycle records along.

Possibly you have blocked tubes but that will be months and months down the line before getting that done, if at all!

If your hubby's sperm results come back bad, you're immediately a hop and a skip from IUI or IVF.

You've been over a year now ttc, so there's def a call for investigations. The cycle info is brilliant help trying to work out what is going on. The stone-ish extra weight isn't so much a problem, it is worth however working out your BMI too, anything under 30 is not proven to have a prob with conception (most ivf guidelines say bmi less than 30).

Most gps at this stage of things should offer bloods on day 1-3 and day 21 of your cycle plus adv your OH to pitch up and ask for a semen analysis. You may get a pelvic uss too depending on what your local guidance is.

Best bet is to see a female dr usually with a bit of expertise in womens health (ie if you have a dr who does contraceptive services).

You should def go. Cos of the way the bloods work, whatever time of your cycle you go, you have to wait for one set...

Definately get ur hubby to the doc first. If he is good go to ur gp and the first thing will be blood tests. The need to determine if your hormones are correct levels at specific times of ur cycle. After that I had an hsg. All of this will need done before any medications

I know its scary but u will feel so much better when the ball is rolling. Also the nhs has crazy long wiating times in some areas so its better to get yourself in the system.

Hi everyone thanks for your replies. I am 25 so am due my first smer test any time, I will mention that when I go to the docs.

I'm clear of sti's me and hubby were tested when we first got together.

My Bmi is under 30, no weight gain from coming off the pill just me stuffing my face!! I am trying to follow slimming world from home so I eat quite healthy and drink 1 vodka on a Saturday night and I must abit I have a couple of cigs socially if I go out but that is rare. And we are both under.

So my action for next week is to book my appt and once I have blood results if all ok I will be taking hubby down to the docs. I really pray it's just a matter of time for us!

Thanks again everyone xxx

Hi Poppy, just wanted to second what everybody said- and also good luck. Make sure you get bloods/semen analysis at least as you are entitled for investigations after a year TTC xxx

One thing - make sure you stop smoking entirely. You cannot get any treatment on nhs if you're even an occasional smoker.

As to timing, as everyone else says first appointment is just referrals for tests so it doesn't matter when it's done.

Be prepared to wait for things. We waited months for each test until we were under an infertility doctor and then things started happening quicker.

Yes hun I saw my dr in march and he referred us for all the tests....hubbys semen analysis was done withing i think around 2/3 weeks but the womens stuff took longer....I had my scan only 2 weeks ago and my gynaecology appt this week so it was quite a tense wait.

and echoing what scotch said, they always ask if you are a smoker (both you and hubby)

good luck xxx

Thank you. Hubby doesnt smoke just me socially but now I will say no! Thanks for your encouragement and I will update once I have seen my gp x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back