redundancy & mat leave

1sttimemum

Reaction score
Today i have formally been given notice that my job is at risk of being made compulsory redundant, now things were explained to me but just feel totally fuzzy.

i work for northern rock and sell the unsecured loans,. Northern rock do not offer unsecured loans anymore, there fore my job is no longer.

They are going to put me in to a redeployment pool, but im unsure if there will be a suitable match.

If there is no suitable match are they legally allowed to make me redundant whilst on mat leave?? If so what would happen to my mat pay??

Please help. Im so frustrated and fuzzy :wall:

I'm sorry to hear your news - I had a bad feeling when you mentioned your meeting today in another post.

You can be made redundant while on maternity leave if there is no job for you to go back to, this happened to my colleague - the funding for her post was not continued. They had to pay her her maternity pay (which was just SMP) for the 39 weeks, which I think they paid the remainder of (when they made her redundant at some point during the 39 weeks) in a lump sum.

There are quite strict rules about maternity leave and redundancy which I'm sure your employers will be aware of and follow - more info here (page 6).

Good luck with everything.

Valentine Xxx

:wall: :wall: :wall: bugger bugger bugger
:lol:

Not what i wanted to read but thank you for the correct info Valentine, at least i properly no now.

:hug:

Oh just thought of a question., If they were unable to redeploy me to another position and i was made redundant, what would happen with my maternity pay? Would it end from my employer and if so would i be able to claim maternity allowance instead

1sttimemum said:
Oh just thought of a question., If they were unable to redeploy me to another position and i was made redundant, what would happen with my maternity pay? Would it end from my employer and if so would i be able to claim maternity allowance instead

I think you would request the rest of your maternity pay (whatever is left of it) in a lump sum during the redundancy process - I can imagine that this option would be good for them too as once they have paid you what you are due, then they can issue you your P45 and then you are not their responsibility anymore.

You wouldn't be able to claim MA if you'd started receiving SMP I don't think. If you did get another job and had been made redundant but were still being paid your monthly SMP by your previous employer I think you'd have to forgo your right to any more SMP if you took the new job before your 39 weeks SMP was up - therefore I think you'd be best to ask for the lump sum when made redundant as stated above, to allow you to look for a new job asap.

You have an interesting position though and if I were you, I'd be straight on the phone to your HR/payroll to ask about all the options in all eventualities.

I hope everything works out for you.

Valentine Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back