Rise in cases of Measles!

lea m

Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7872541.stm

:( I find this very worrying! My Lola cant have her MMR for a long time yet if she comes into contact with a child with measles via my children at school then she is going to be seriously ill! :(
My first 3 have had the MMR but I know they can still catch a mild form of the diseases!

I read this the other day- am thinking about postponing going back to work until after Evie has had her MMR because I don't want her to risk catching it at nursery.

Thomas had them a couple months ago :(
luckily he got over it quickly and no lasting damage
:hug:
xx

I wouldn't panic. From what I understand, one of the reasons the vaccines is given at 13 months, is that until about a year, the baby usually carries immunity passed from the mother (coupled with the fact its a strong vaccine and the baby under this age wouldn't be physically ready for it).

Valentine Xxx

I was just ready about it! It seems if you have had the virus you pass on immunity but if you have never had the disease then you dont!

Can I prevent my baby from developing measles if he's been exposed to the virus?

If your baby hasn't yet received the MMR vaccine but has been exposed to measles, the course of action will depend on his age:

If your baby is younger than six months old and you have had measles in the past, your antibodies will have passed to your baby in the uterus and your baby should be immune. If you've never had measles, your baby may be given an injection of human normal immuniglobin (HNIG). HNIG is a concentration of antibodies which can give short-term but immediate protection against measles.

If your baby is older than six months and has been exposed to the measles virus, he will usually be given a dose of the MMR vaccine straight away to prevent the virus from developing (NHS Direct 2007).

I know, it's so scary :( Layla was ill a couple of weeks ago and they thought she had measles, I was so worried...fortunately for us she had a virus which passed.

we have had a few cases of German measles and apparently according to the nurse who phoned us up there is an outbreak of measles but our GP hasn't been able to confirm it. Cally came out with a rash and had cold symptoms a few months ago which I thought was measles but it was "viral" (Dr speak for I have no clue)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back