Using Public Transport when Pregnant or with a Pram!

akash

Reaction score
(I have been given permission by Urchin for this post)

Hello Pregnant Ladies and Parents,

I am currently a undergraduate student at Coventry University studying Transport Design. As part of one of my assignments, I have been researching "Parents and Mothers to be: the problems they face on public transport". The focus of this assignment is on redesigning the interior of buses/trains to make them easier and more assessable for pregnant women and mothers.

So far I have found that the main worries and concerns for parents and mothers to be are:
• Unhelpful staff/ bus drivers
• Passengers pretending not to see them and not offering them their seats
• Seating often too low making it difficult to stand up
• Trouble lifting prams onto train/buses

I would greatly appreciate if you can complete my questionnaire (see bellow) in order to help me further my research.

Please feel free to talk about personal experiences and any additional information you may be willing to share.

Thank you for your time and help

Questionnaire for Pregnant Women and Parents

How often have you travelled on public transport when pregnant or since having your baby? And for what purpose?

What do you need to carry when you go out?

What are your likes/dislikes about travelling on public transport?

How do you find other passengers react towards you and your child?

Have you ever had to stand when you were pregnant?

Do you feel anxious about asking people for there seats?

How are the baby changing facilities at Stations? Are they clean? Is there enough space?

Are the seats comfortable on train and in station? Not too much pressure on back, bladder?

Do you have trouble lifting the pram onto the vehicle?

Is there enough space to put the pram? Is it comfortable enough? i.e. have baby facing you?

On trains do you pre-book? Do you know which carriage you need to be getting on if you don’t?

Are the staff generally helpful?

Do you have any suggestions on how public transport could be redesigned and redeveloped to make it kinder towards Mothers and Mothers to be? And would this make you use it more?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It will benefit me greatly and hopefully one day it will benefit parents and mothers to be too.

Thank you once again.

How often have you travelled on public transport since having your baby? At least once a week

What do you need to carry when you go out? Not so much now that my daughter is older, but when she was little, buggy, changing bag, feed equiptment, hand bag etc

How do you find other passengers react towards you and your child? Always friendly

Have you ever had to stand when you were pregnant? yes, but was always offered a chair, but let the elderly have it rather than me

Do you feel anxious about asking people for there seats? Never had to

How are the baby changing facilities at Stations? Are they clean? Is there enough space? Improvements? Never been to the actual bus station

Are the seats comfortable on train and in station? Not too much pressure on back, bladder? comfortable enough for the journey lengths Ihave been on

Do you have trouble lifting the pram onto the vehicle? Not really, the buses here lower so the pram can be easily wheeled on to the bus

Is there enough space to put the pram? Is it comfortable enough? i.e. have baby facing you? Yes there is enough room

On trains do you pre-book? Do you know which carriage you need to be getting on if you don’t? If it is a long journey I prebook, if it is just for one or two stops I just find a free seat near to the holdall for the buggy to go in, or if it is a pretty empty train I go on the carriage where the bikes go on and if possible just wheel the buggy on

Are the staff generally helpful? 80% of the time

Do you have any suggestions on how public transport could be redesigned and redeveloped to make it kinder towards Mothers and Mothers to be? And would this make you use it more? not that I can think of.... my main problem is a lack of a lift at my station, but that isnt the transport itself

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How often have you travelled on public transport when pregnant or since having your baby? And for what purpose?

almost daily, shopping , going out etc

buggy, changing bag and any shopping

What are your likes/dislikes about travelling on public transport? No likes, bus usually late, dirty, crowded, no seats etc

they dont unless he's screaming

yes and I once had to stand for an entire 45 min bus ride with a 3 week old baby as everyone ignored me!!

Do you feel anxious about asking people for there seats? Yes

How are the baby changing facilities at Stations? Are they clean? Is there enough space? The ones around here are ok

Are the seats comfortable on train and in station? Not too much pressure on back, bladder? we only have about 3 seats in our station!

Do you have trouble lifting the pram onto the vehicle? Yes if have to fold it down and drivers never help

Is there enough space to put the pram? Is it comfortable enough? i.e. have baby facing you?
If you can get on with pram yes.

On trains do you pre-book? Do you know which carriage you need to be getting on if you don’t?

Are the staff generally helpful? No

Do you have any suggestions on how public transport could be redesigned and redeveloped to make it kinder towards Mothers and Mothers to be? And would this make you use it more? They should have signs asking people to give up seats for pregnant women and people with babies not just old people and larger easy access areas to allow more buggies to travel at once. drivers should be more helpful too!!

When pregnant - almost daily or every other day. Now once or twice a week with baby.

Pram and/or changing bag, shopping.

Older trains and buses, poor access. Unhelpful staff (particularly on buses where it's made to seem like a chore for the driver to help out)

Varies. If it's a busy train and and I have the buggy I get tutted at regularly.

Yes

No but why should I have to ask? If people didn't offer I just stood/stand.

How are the baby changing facilities at Stations? Are they clean? Is there enough space?
Never used them. They are always locked, though!

Are the seats comfortable on train and in station? Not too much pressure on back, bladder?
Fine.

On some of the older trains it's doable but more difficult.

If the train is busy then I regularly have to stand in the vestibule area with buggy or abandon the buggy (which isn't convenient if you have a changing bag & shopping & baby to carry!

Only for longer journeys. Yes.

On buses, no, trains, yes.

Do you have any suggestions on how public transport could be redesigned and redeveloped to make it kinder towards Mothers and Mothers to be? And would this make you use it more?

As per post above.

Hiya, i did reply to this post but i think that was before it was approved. ah well, will make it short and sweet.

Im not a mum yet but deal with bus claims and many of them are from injured passegers (children in pushchairs) I also had to get involved in designing the "ideal bus" to cut down on claims.

One thing i see day in day out are buggies toppling over because mums arent holding onto them. Even with the best driver in the world (which i agree many arent) buses are NOT steady vehicles. I definately think the design should allow mums to be able to hold onto the pushchairs at all times and there should be signs requesting this. The other main cause of injury is when mums are disembarking and the driver hasnt lowered the platform (which they dont have to legally do) I stated that the bus doors should not actually be able to open until the bus is lowered.

With regards to the seats for pregnant woman..ive never actually thought of this. what a good idea! One thing i would say though is there should be further safety precautions to prevent the passenger falling forward. The disabled seats are one of the worst to sit in (in my opinion) as there is a great space infront to fall into!

Cant really help with trains too much.. all i know is its a nightmare to get a seat i rush hour!

Claire x

Four times a week for work, once or twice extra with child for shopping, visiting, anything really (I don't drive)

I can travel a lot lighter now (son is 2) but in the early days a large change bag with nappies, bottles, change of clothes etc and my handbag. Now I can fit a nappy in my handbag and get him anything else he needs whilst we are out.

Unreliability of service, particularly in bad weather. And other passenger's attitudes.

Older passengers can be insensitive when I use the pull down seats. I've had people tell me to collapse my pram, when in reality it's a bulky travel system which doesn't collapse into anything much smaller and is really heavy!

Only once, on a very packed bus during rush hour on an unfamiliar route. Commuters on my regular service were generally very courteous; I find even more so on local trains.

Not anxious, but it's not something I'd easily do unless I felt ill. Then I wouldn't hesitate.

I think of train stations as intrinsically dodgy places and would venture out to shopping centres/cafes to change my baby. I don't even wee in station loos!

Yes, never had a problem

Not on the more modern buses which have a drop down hydralic system. First time on a train I got the pram stuck in the gap getting off, which was very scary! You soon develop ways around it though.

If the bus/train isn't busy, yes.

I only use local rail services. The carriage with pushchair area is clearly marked on the doors of my train, and with experience I've come to recognise it as the one directly beneath the overhead wire connection.

Never really had much contact. Bus drivers will always drop the bus if asked.

I think the real investment needs to be in changing other passengers attitudes. Older people should be made aware that modern prams aren't like the strollers they used to have, which were so easily collapsed. ours often contain carseats, are are sturdier (and therefore heavier); carrying on and off is not an option. It wouldn't make me use it more though.

I'm not sure but over ten, to go to the hospital, to another city on the train, to Edinburgh airport, and for general errands.

I either use the baby carrier with a changing bag and the usual personal items (wallet, etc) or the same things with the pram.

I like that it is affordable and more environmentally friendly than driving, but I prefer walking (even for miles) because the buses here are not very reliable, not good value for money, do not come close enough to where I live (so I have to walk half way where I am going to take a bus, anyway) and are not always easy to get on and off, or to get a seat once I have.

They usually smile at us, but it isn't often I come across someone who would go out of their way to help me if I needed it.

Yes, including on a train from Edinburgh to Dundee, until a Swedish woman noticed and gave me her seat. I was seven and a bit months pregnant, so it was obvious by that time. Also, I took the bus to work and was usually just stared at by people and not offered a seat. I didn't feel like I could ask for one because of the way they were staring. More than 90% of the time I did get a seat, it would be a side facing seat that folded down. I found it extremely difficult and painful to stay seated in it. The other times I got a seat it would usually be one in the first row of the raised section of the bus, which has much less room and is very steep, therefore painful and difficult to keep myself from falling, as well.

Yes, I probably wouldn't do it.

I haven't checked them out.

The seats in the stations are usually freezing, if I can manage to get one! The seats on the train are comfortable if it is one of the cross country trains, but if it is a ScotRail, I am usually uncomfortable. They are shaped too much like a "C" so I feel hunched over. Some are far too straight, at an almost 90 degree angle, which isn't a realistic way to sit when travelling.

Yes! The bus isn't too bad but I was very scared getting on and off the train! There was a gap and no one to help. In fact, I was pushed out of the way!

No! Not at all! The trains don't have a space for a pram. If I am lucky I can get it where the bicycles go, but then I have to take my baby out. There are spaces for wheelchairs that are never used, but we can't use those. I asked if I could until someone came in a wheelchair, and was told no, even though this is what would happen on a bus. As for buses, they are better, but there isn't usually room for me to sit with the pram. I normally need to put the chair in the vestibules between carriages and take the baby out, along with any other baggage I have, then struggle to the seat. I would not be able to do this alone.

I sometimes pre-book. Otherwise, I do not know which carriage to get on.

Most try to be, but I haven't come across anyone that knows about facilities for pushchairs, etc. We are told incorrect information every time (ie. whether the baby can stay in the chair or not, and which carriages have room.

If transport staff were more proactive in trying to make sure mothers, pregnant women or anyone else with a need were comfortable or had access to seats, places for prams, etc I would feel better about taking long distance journeys on my own. As things are now, it isn't possible to travel to and from Edinburgh, which is where my family is, alone.

Once or twice a week when pregnant and now

When pregnant, just my handbag. Now I take my handbag and a bag for my son with nappies, drinks/snacks and change of clothes etc..

I dislike the tram during the busy times as it is sometimes impossible to get on with a pushchair as everybody rushes on with no thought for us. I avoided the busy times when pregnant as I was scared of my bump getting crushed

No partucular reaction

Yes on a number of occasions

Yes, I never like to ask for a seat just incase somebody was rude or tired to embarras me

N/A

I found the seat a bit od a squeeze while heavily pregnant

I find some buses dont give much consideration for the gap between the bus and the pavement, sometimes the gap is the exact width of the pushchair!

London buses are worst for pushchair space, most have a fair space for 2-3 pushchairs

I always book in advance anyway as it is cheaper

Train staff are usually very friendly and helpful, bus and tram staff not so helpful

I would like to see the tram (In Nottingham) more buggy friendly. During rush hour I cant get on as people without buggies barge past and by the time they are on there is no room left for pushchairs. I would also like to see something to protect pregnant women from getting squashed on the tram

About 6 times after having her going to and from my parents house and airport

To the airport we were meeting familly so just a small bag with changing things and baby. We took her in the sling to make it easier as we did worry about the pram on the train. It was lucky we did as the train back from the airport was packed and we had to stand in the doors and could not move it would of been even more difficult if we had of taken the pram.
On the way to my parents we had a suitcase and 2 bags and a car seat. Once we were on the train it was okay but getting on and off the trains was quite daunting thinking they would start going whilst we were still trying to get on and off.

I like that I can concentrate and see her rather than when I'm driving I have to be concentrating on that instead. I did not like having to stand holding her as she is so small that it was hard to keep myself balanced and people walking through the isles trying to get to the toilet and not noticing she was there so pushing past and having to tell people to be careful because they were squashing her!

Some would coo over her others would be quite uncaring and as I said above would basically ignore that she was there and would push past.

Never used public transport when I was pregnant

I would always wait for someone to give up their seat I would be too shy to ask.

Yes the one I used was great, but you did need a coad to get in which was a little akward having to go and find someone to open the door.

Yes

If I had taken the pram then yes I would of.

There would not of been enough room I would of had to take her out and fold the pram up.

I usually book the long part of our trip but if its only getting into the main city I don't. I don't know which carriage I should be getting on if I have not booked, I did not realize that there is a certian carriage?

Yes

For mothers it would be nice to have seats which have a baby seat in front of them so you have somewhere to put the babe rather than having to hold a young child for long trips (a baby seat attached to the back of the seat infront). For pregnant women it would be nice to give them priority seating and for elderly passengers. People all rush on to trains so they get seated. They don't realize that a pregnant lady is not able to rush for a seat and then they get annoyed when they are asked to give theirs up. To be honest as it is at the moment I would never attempt a train journey on my own.

How often have you travelled on public transport when pregnant?

Not often, maybe half a dozen times.

And for what purpose?

Used the bus for hospital appointments as it is near impossible to get a parking space.
Train and tube for work meetings.

For work meetings my work bag with laptop in. Otherwise just myself and my handbag!

I like being able to do other things while on publictransport (eg read a book) but dislike how unclean it often is and how there always seem to be someone trying to cause trouble... :?

How do you find other passengers react towards you?

My bus journeys have always been fairly pleasant. Mostly elderly people also giong to the hospital and there were always plenty of seats. Train and tube were another matter and the other passengers often seem very ignorant/rude.

Yes, on the train and tube (despite being very obviously heavily pregnant).

I wouldn't feel comfortable asking anyone for a seat but am very grateful if anyone offers me their seat (as I am particularly wobbly at the best of times!)

Not had to use any yet.

I don't think they are too uncomfortable - I'm just grateful for anywhere to sit sometimes!

Not applicable yet. The idea of this would put me off using public transport once the baby is here though.

See above.

I don't use a train service that has pre-bookable seats so it's a bit of a mad dash when the platform is announced (or not so much a dash in my case!) :oops:

I have always found the bus drivers fairly pleasant. Trains and tubes there is never much of a staff presence.

I think there should be more assistance for people with pushchairs on the tube - there are very few stations that cater for disabled/pushchairs and I have many times seen pushchairs (with baby still strapped in) dangerously lodged onto escalators.

The priority seats (which clearly state for pregnant, disabled, elderly etc) are rarely given up in my experience and to be honest a lot of the other seats are also taken up by more able bodied people. I can't help but feel insanely guilty if I'm sat in any seat and there is someone less able than me having to stand. Sadly, the majority don't seem to feel like that though. :(

When pregnant every day to work. Since having a baby less often, take a bus about once a week, tube about once or twice a month.

When I travel on a bus I sometimes have a pram, but often I carry my baby on a sling. On a tube I always carry my baby in a sling. I also carry a changing bag.

Public transport can be quicker than taking taxis or driving oneself. I also like public transport as it's cheaper to use as taxis. I very much dislike not having lifts on train/tube stations. Stairs are a killer!

I have been pleasantly surprised. Other people seem to be very helpful. Particularly when I carry my baby in a sling they tend to smile and talk to her.

Interestingly, I hardly ever had to stand when pregnant. I was VERY pleasantly surprised how I often I was offered a seat! In fact, people starting offering me a seat as soon as it was visible that I was pregnant, when in fact I wouldn't have minded standing. I found that in different tube lines/routes I was offered a seat more often. Luckily, where I was travelling from I was offered seat 99.5% of the time. It was pretty much the same when coming from the city. However, when coming from West End I found that I wasn't always offered a seat.

To be honest I never asked. Only a handful of times I had to stand.

I haven't even tried as jugding my their normal toilets I feel that they wouldn't be clean enough.

I guess I was just happy to have a seat, so wouldn't complain.

Yes, if the bus driver doesn't drive close to the pavement.

My buggie is a little bigger than usual so it can be a squeeze - particularly if there already is another buggie, but I am just always pleased if I fit in.

Yes I always pre-book on trains when travelling with a baby. I book first class as there is more space for a buggie and these carriages are usually quieter.

On trains yes, tubes often, buses not so.

If there were more lifts on tubes I would definitely use them more! Also it would be great if first class lounges were allowed to be used by mums even though pre-booked tickets were purchased (they only allow it for full priced tickets), but I know this is wishful thinking.

It will benefit me greatly and hopefully one day it will benefit parents and mothers to be too.

Thank you once again.[/quote]

Trains and buses daily for work before maternity leave and bus occasionally to childrens centre or home from town if I'm tired since maternity leave started - favoured taxis from about 8months onwards.

Used to be a medium sized 'hand bag' to carry all my stuff like umbrella, indigestion tablets, paracetamol, hip support (I suffered with SPD so needed it for walking around but couldn't sit for long periods at the office in it) etc.
Now it's a slightly larger 'babymel' change bag (sold in mother care) and obviously the car seat if I'm taking the baby out.
So far I haven't dared try the pram on the bus, I'm still sticking a lot to taxis but I can't afford to keep doing this much longer :doh:

I like the fact that where I live (greater manchester) there is a fairly regular transport system and getting a day pass is nearly always cheaper than getting a taxi.

I hate the fact that the most popular buses (and trains, especially during communting times) are often over crowded so when I was pregnant so I sometimes had to stand for a good 15mins....which doesn't sound so bad but during pregnancy I had a few phases where I was boarder line passing out because my blood supply was slightly less in the mornings due to the baby requiring these things and until I'd eaten several small meals/snacks I was quite weak....and standing up for those 15mins just totally KO'd me :( Thing is nobody offered you a seat and nobody seemed to notice me desperately clinging to the railings with my eyes half closed :evil: And this was when I did have an obvious (but not massive) bump.

I also worry now about getting a bus with the pram as I've seen mothers turned away because there's only 1 pram bay which is full or 2 have managed to squeeze on by folding them and there's just no way that a 3rd can get on. That means I'd always have to try and get an earlier bus than I need to try and avoid this.
On the other hand some drivers let other prams on just to save argument and they end up crushing the 1st pram in so that it's a nightmare to get off at your stop...and there's not a lot you can say about it :wall:

Yet to be experienced

Yes...see 2 notes above

Yes because you're not considered 'disabled'....especially awkward when old people have the seats but appear to be perfectly healthy and spry....even when I was feeling really weak. Don't think it helped that I'm only young (22yrs but look about 20yrs) and my bump was always quite neat....never became 'massive'.

Yet to be experienced

No! Found it awkward to get in and out of them and on the older trains they were pretty hard and uncomfortable.

* On a side note old buses with hardly any padding on the seats could actually be painful going over rough roads/pot holes/ speed bumps etc

Yet to be experienced but have seen others struggle plenty.

Yet to be experienced.

Nope and nope.

Not during pregnancy - actually argued with one bus driver when he went past my stop despite me ringing the bell in advance and moving to stand by the enterence ready. He'd rather argue about it and carry on driving to the next stop a good way down the road than appologise and pull up ASAP to let off the pregnant lady :evil: :wall:

Nothing specific but there needs to be more work done to cater for more than 1 pram per bus and train carriage, espeically in larger areas like manchester and it's surrounding suburbs...because trust me there are always a lot of mums with everything from newborns to 2-3year olds :lol:
More disabled seating near the enterences or new signs that read something like 'disabled, pregnant and with infants'....I dunno how you'd word it to make it PC but that's basically what it needs to say. :roll:

How often have you travelled on public transport when pregnant or since having your baby? And for what purpose? Several times a week to visit family/friends and go shopping

What do you need to carry when you go out? My bag and pushchair.

What are your likes/dislikes about travelling on public transport? Likes- Nothing. Dislikes- Buses always late/missing, Idiots sitting in the buggy zone, People playing loud music, Too many buggys trying to get on one bus because there are buses missing.

How do you find other passengers react towards you and your child? If shes crying very negetive.

Have you ever had to stand when you were pregnant? Yes, alot.

Do you feel anxious about asking people for there seats? Very.

How are the baby changing facilities at Stations? Are they clean? Is there enough space? N/A

Are the seats comfortable on train and in station? Not too much pressure on back, bladder? N/A

Do you have trouble lifting the pram onto the vehicle? If the drive doesnt lower the bus.

Is there enough space to put the pram? Is it comfortable enough? i.e. have baby facing you? Rarely.

On trains do you pre-book? Do you know which carriage you need to be getting on if you don’t? N/A

Making sure the buggy spaces are only used by people who need them. Making sure people only use one buggy space rather then all 3. Asking parents with older children 2+ fold there buggys if there isnt room so people with small babies can use the spaces.

How often have you travelled on public transport when pregnant or since having your baby? And for what purpose? Most days. To get around for every day life. To work when I was pregnant, to hospital appointments, to shopping and mum and baby coffee group, to visiting relatives far away.

What do you need to carry when you go out? For short journeys, changing bag, and baby in sling or pram, plus any shopping.

What are your likes/dislikes about travelling on public transport? Dislikes - Not knowing if I will be able to get on the bus. Our bus service is unclear on the rules and some bus drivers refuse entry to mums with prams but others let you on if there is a wheelchair space free. Feeling embarrassed when refused boarding. Likes - not having to pay for a parking permit and cost of running a car.

How do you find other passengers react towards you and your child? Absolutely fine.

Have you ever had to stand when you were pregnant? Yes, often. Mostly on the tube in London when it was very busy. People pretended not to see, even when I was suffering very badly from morning sickness. In Edinburgh on buses its not so bad but have still had to stand on occasion.

Do you feel anxious about asking people for there seats? Yes, I would never ask.

How are the baby changing facilities at Stations? Are they clean? Is there enough space? I have never used on as I have never seen one! If I had seen one I stillthink I wouldnt use it as Id expect it would be dirty. I have used the train toilet changing station on long journeys, which is difficult whilst train is moving, but ok.

Are the seats comfortable on train and in station? Not too much pressure on back, bladder? Yep, fine

Do you have trouble lifting the pram onto the vehicle? Nope, suspension is usually lowered a bit to help folk on the buses here in Edinburgh, Difficult getting on train though with baby, as there is sometimes a very big gap which makes me very nervous, with baby in one arm and pram / luggage in the other there is no free hand to steady yourself!

Is there enough space to put the pram? Is it comfortable enough? i.e. have baby facing you? There is a pole right next to the wheelchair / pram space on Lothian buses which is hard to manouvre around. On train pram needs to be folded but there is nowhere to put it. I usually have to put it in bike rack which upsets the bikers and means its far away from seat and I feel anxious in case it gets stolen.

On trains do you pre-book? Do you know which carriage you need to be getting on if you don’t? I always pre book. However, my most recent train journey Id booked 2 seats, to allow me space on the long journey to feed, and have change bag beside me etc, but ended up having none, as they'd cancelled the carriage! I was stressed and upset, trying to breast feed whilst seat hopping every 20 mins or so as others had the seats booked. This has also happened once before. So upsetting, as Id planned in advance and paid for extra seating.

Are the staff generally helpful? Not usually. Not always rude, but not helpful either.

Do you have any suggestions on how public transport could be redesigned and redeveloped to make it kinder towards Mothers and Mothers to be? And would this make you use it more? Have designated travel space and policies for parents with babies, and pregnant ladies!!!

Hello,

Just posting to say thank you for the help! A lot of the stuff was very interesting to read and all of it will be very useful.

I did also do my own 'roleplay' where I put on an empathy pregnancy belly (which was very heavy!) and travelled on buses and trains for a whole day! I also had a pram and toy baby (which wouldn't stop crying). I would upload a piccy but I'm not sure how.

It was very stressful but I learnt a lot 1st hand about the trouble you guys face on a day to day bases.

Anyway thanks again!

[\b]Questionnaire for Pregnant Women and Parents[/b]

What do you need to carry when you go out? Changing Bag, Shopping Bags

What are your likes/dislikes about travelling on public transport? Unhelpful drivers

How do you find other passengers react towards you and your child? Usually very helpful

Have you ever had to stand when you were pregnant? No

Do you feel anxious about asking people for there seats?Yes

How are the baby changing facilities at Stations? Are they clean? Is there enough space? Don't know never had to use them

Do you have trouble lifting the pram onto the vehicle? Yes

Is there enough space to put the pram? Is it comfortable enough? i.e. have baby facing you? There are supposed to be low floor vehicles on the service but I haven't seen one yet.

Are the staff generally helpful? No

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back