28 weeks

Vickyleigh

Reaction score
Aww :hug:
My baby has been breech since about 33 weeks maybe before that. I got my section booked for 2 weeks and since I was told I would be having a cesarean I have only been thinking about the good points of a c section like having a definate date for baby to arrive, I wont have to go through the pain of pushing her out naturally, it will be over alot quicker then a natural birth, I don't have to suffer any longer then I have to and go over my due date and I know what to expect. I know the recovery is longer but I couldn't be happier about having a c section.

I was told my baby was breech from 30 weeks onwards. I ended up nearly having treatment to try and make the baby turn at 34weeks, only to be sent for a scan to say that he was head down!!

So don't worry too much yet. I'm not sure they get the position right a lot of the time and even if yours is breech, there's quite a good chance it'll turn in time.

K.xx

Hey:) I would't worry. My baby was moving all the time from breech to normal till about 33 weeks. If you are a bit worried, try to do some things, which are supposed to help to get baby in a right position.
1. If you have a Pilates ball, try to bounce/sit on it. Try to it at least 30 mins every day (like when you are watching telly).
2. You can try to get yourself in a floor washing postion few times a day. (Its when you are on all fours, but with your head and shoulders lower then your bum)

:hug:
Carina

dont worry - if you do have to have one, just think its best for you and your baby :)

Also at least your gonna now the exact date he is gonna be here

good luck x

Hello honey, don't be sad. There's plenty of time yet for the little monster to flip over. I'm sure they still move about loads for a while yet.

You could try sitting on a gym ball instead of chair/sofa etc and getting down on all fours - don't know if it works but it's worth a try.

Try not to worry. But can i just say, if you have to have a c-section at 38 or 39 weeks and get to have your baby before me I'll be most upset!!!!!! :lol:

Alfie

:hug: :hug:

I agree with all the above, at 28 weeks many babies are breech (mine was too) and there's loads of time to turn the baby around. I did lots of getting on all fours for a while, but I also did a lot of slouching too and the baby had turned by my 33 week and I didn't feel her turn round or anything.

Hi. I went for my 28 week check today and was told my little fella is breech too. I read up about it on the internet but Ive just come to the conclusion what willbe will be! The midwife did say he may well move down before my next appointment but I knew he was breech before I went, you can tell tell by the kicks..they are all low blows!

I understand your concern over a c section as I wouldnt be too impressed if thats what will happen with me but I had such a yuk time first time round and was not fully recovered until my son was about 4-5 weeks old, I cant see how a c section can be that much worse, apart from the obvious operation pain. Try not too worry and I'll check to see if you report back on here after your next check up and I;ll let you know how I get on...we can worry together! lol :D

Midna,

Have you tried http://www.spinningbabies.com? They've got advice on turning breech babies, though I still think it's early days. My baby, on the other hand is lying transverse!!!! This is much more serious than breech and the little rascal has been lying this way pretty much all the time, so I'm not sure s/he will turn. I have started trying the exercises recommended on that site and the usual, giving the baby as much space as possible in there (e.g. on all fours, my bum in the air, lying on my back but deep breathing so my abdomen increases as much as possible etc.).

C-section is one of my worst fears too (but I have so many, that's only one of them :D ). My trouble is that epidural hasn't worked for me in the past. I'm one of those unlucky ones who gets paralysed with it, but still feels pain (even after a few attempts). My fear is how will they know it's not working if I'm not contracting? My pain was concentrated on a few areas, not the whole stomach :? And they were like, "No, that shouldn't be happening..." Will I have to wait to feel a scalpel before they believe me if I have to have a section?

Also, I don't take too well to general anaesthetic either. It makes me feel VERY sick for days afterwards. again, the nurses didn't believe me (when I've had non-pregnancy related operations before, even one around last year). They went on about how I couldn't be feeling sick because "modern anaesthetic" doesn't make people sick - until I puked all over the place (and could barely sit up because the room was spinning).

I'm not worried about them cutting into me, or the pain because I know that having a baby naturally is extremely painful for a long time afterwards (would I prefer to be doubled over like an old lady or walking like a cowboy?). I'm not sure there's going to be a lot in it when it comes to the pain afterwards competition...though I think after a c-section that my pelvic floor muscles won't be so badly off....

What is it that you're most worried about? I think it's best to ask yourself that. Or is it being deprived of the experience of "giving birth"? I worried about that my first time: I really wanted to experience a natural birth. Now, I know that however your baby comes out, it's still traumatic and painful etc. but that all that matters in the end is having your baby out and safe.

I hope you get the birth you want (and not the one you don't want), but most of all, I hope that you and your baby come out at the other end healthy and able to forget it and just get on with growing together.

I have a book (must've got it years ago) by the NCT called, 'Caesarian Birth: Your questions answered'. I'm going to give that a read. I think it's best to arm yourself with as much info as possible because not knowing (and worrying) makes things seem more scary.

Oh, and stop convincing yourself you will have a c-section because if there really is a thing such as "mind over matter" then you DEFINITELY WILL have a c-section :shakehead: Why not imagine the birth you really want and keep replaying that in your head? Paul McKenna swears this kind of "visualisation" helps you get what you want and, if nothing else, is worth a try. If not, we'll be recovering from our sections together... :D

Midna,

Yeah it's alright for me - I've "experienced" childbirth the natural way - twice. I also used to be a bit of a birthing snob: stupidly believing that vaginal birth with no intervention was the "superior" way of having a baby. I also used to argue that people who had caesarians hadn't actually "given birth", but rather, had had an operation. :shock:

I'm now a lot older and wiser (and, hopefully, less of an arrogant twat). Of course you want to experience labour and having the baby naturally, but please don't be like I used to be and see it as some sort of "accomplishment" - you won't win any 'mother of the year' award for how you give birth, how you feed your baby, or how quickly you're on your feet and putting out the washing after the birth etc. Women who focus on all that nonsense have no life and are trying to feel a sense of worth through the most mundane of things (I know, I patted myself on the back for using cloth nappies, breastfeeding and only feeding my baby homemade meals, cooked from scratch). How I'd sneer at those formula-feeding mums who used disposables and dummies etc). But I didn't have a life then. I was bored and lonely with nothing else to focus on but trying to be 'mother of the year'. I'm just trying to tell you not to be as hard on yourself as I was with my first baby. Just chill out and try just to appreciate having a baby at all, when the time comes.

Having said all that (please just bear it in mind or you'll end up with bloody post-natal depression because you'll feel you've "failed" by not having a vaginal delivery), I still agree with your fears. Totally. I read that book on caesarians last night, before bed. I wish I hadn't! I remember now that I bought it for my cousin when she had her first baby by c-section. She had such a positive experience that she was adamant that she wanted another section this time around. Luckily for her, she got one and loved it. Each to their own.

Anyway, after reading the book, I was again reminded that I hate hosptials (I never stayed in when I had my first 2 and had planned a homebirth even for my first, used birthing pools both times etc) and I hate anaesthetics. I hate not being in control of my own body, the thought of paralysis, even temporary, terrifies me and I worry that I won't bond with the baby if I have to go through all that and I'm sore afterwards. Like you, I have no help at home, as well as two other kids to look after, so recovery would be a nightmare. And I'm probably at least 10 years older than you and feeling every bit my age right now... :? I had also planned a homebirth and really hoped I'd manage it this time. Now, it doesn't look likely.

But if I have to have the c-section, then I have to have it, there's no point in depressing myself (although I'm prone to that, esp. with these pesky hormones). At least I'd know exactly when the baby was going to be born. That it would (touch wood) be an operation with such a positive outcome and my vagina wouldn't take a huge battering again (it's recovered quite nicely after my last pregnancy thank you, but that was 8 years ago!). Yes, we've got to try and focus on the positives.

There's no reason why if you have a c-section this time that you can't have a vaginal delivery next time. There's no reason why you HAVE to have a c-section for a breech baby either (obstetricians will argue that it's safer, but normal delivery of a breech baby is possible and used to be routinely done at home). Not many people want to risk trying a normal delivery of a breech baby nowadays though as midwives have lost their skill in such deliveries and the emphasis is always on eliminating risk.

I still think that you have plenty of time. More so because you're a first-time mum and babies don't engage till much later. Your baby will have plenty of time to turn yet and you can encourage it along with the exercises on that site I recommended and by going swimming too. My second baby was breech for ages but she turned quite late on. I've never had a baby lie across my stomach like this one though, so I don't much reckon to my own chances of avoiding the dreaded c-section. I think it's too early for you to be resigning yourself to a c-section though.

The thing is, when you've never had a baby, you can only focus on the birth. So of course, you want that to be as perfect as possible. The thing that really matters though (as you will realise afterwards) is that you and the baby make it through okay. In a few months' time, you won't care how you got your baby, just that s/he arrived safely.

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back