2nd section - same scar or a new one?

Lisamj

Reaction score
Already thinking ahead to baby number two and looking at the pros and cons of vbac/c-section.

Can anyone please tell me if on the second section they cut at the old scar, or do they do a new one?

Thanks!

Lisa
x

hiya hun

never had a c section but im sure they cut the old scar when u have another xx

They cut the old scar. That's why it's usually less painful than the first one as they're cutting through scar tissue rather than through normal tissue.

Helen x

yep went through the old scar but its smaller than the old scar...its taking longer to heal though which is a bit of a pisser but never mind :D i think thats just my body being a bit crappy rather than anything to do with it being a second section :)

Thanks fro your replies. We are a fair way off having number 2, but I am already wondering what to do. My main issues with VBAC are 1. Being stuck to the bed for monitoring, 2. Ending up with a section anyway (when I could have had one a week or 2 before).

But then at the same time we would like 3 or 4 children so by having anther section I am pushing my luck!

Anyway, thanks again!

L x

I got my consultant to agree to me trying for a vbac in a birthing unit even though i was considered high risk cos of previous c-section and previous eclampsia - as it happens i ended up in the consultant led unit in very slow labour with a distressed babba who'd poo'd inside me...so went for the second section but if you are keen to try for a vbac then depending on why you had the first section there is no reason why you shouldn't ask for a low-key and mobile/active vbac labour attempt hun :hug:

Ive recently had a 2nd section and they used my old scar

Thanks fly, I had a section as Sam was breech and my waters went at 36 weeks.

xx

Hello! I've just had a second emergency section after a failed attempt at a VBAC.

They went in through the same scar, I have no idea what it looks like in terms of size as I can't quite see past my tummy yet!

In terms of labour although I was monitored closely I didn't have to be on the monitor all the time, it was more like 20 mins on 20 mins off and I didn't have to be on the bed, I was stood up most of the time and was able to move about within the range of the wires of course but I was able to be fairly mobile.

I know how you feel about the idea of ending up with an emergency section when you could have had an elective because I was exactly the same. The last thing I wanted was to end up in the same state as first time around but my consultant and midwife - who were brilliant - assured me that because of a previous section there's no way they'd let it go on as long and that if there was signs that labour wasn't going well that they would make the decision to go to section a lot sooner. That was exactly what happened and even though it was an "emergency" it felt more like an elective, I had a chance to express my wishes to the docs and my recovery has been a lot quicker.

I'm actually really glad I got a chance to go into labour naturally and make the attempt, and my birth experience was lovely. The theatre team were great and we were even cracking jokes!

ditto to everything you've said there becky hun - excellent post :) xxxx

they didn't use my first "scar" so i now have two lines though they have both healed really well

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back