A vaginal birth after a c-section?

nori

Reaction score
Hi All,

I noticed from another post that the chances of a natural birth after a c-section is lower. I was just wondering who out there had a c section for their first and then had a vaginal birth for their second? Also i'd be interested to know who had to have another c-section for their second child.

Why are the chances lowered after a c-section?

Claire x

I think it all depends on your actual labour the first time around. I had a crash section with Brody (his heartrate dropped too low) but I had fully dilated and pushed a fair while. Because of this my chances of a vaginal birth are 80%.
If the section is because of other reasons, for example not dilating, I think the chances drop. I have no idea how much by though.
:hug:

jools221181 said:
If the section is because of other reasons, for example not dilating, I think the chances drop. I have no idea how much by though.
:hug:

That'll be me then. I had 20 hours of labour and didnt et any further than 4cms. Why does that make a difference though.. its cos he was looking the wrong way. :think:

Claire x

I had a c section with my first and accidentally conceived very quickly afterwards. I was surprised to be allowed a vaginal delivery for my second, as there was only 13 months between the two births, but my obstetrician didn't even discuss the possibility of another planned c section with me. The only difference it made to me in practice was that I was only allowed to push for an hour because they were worried about putting too much pressure on a new scar. After an hour, they got the ventouse out and no 2 was born a few minutes later.

The chances of a second section are higher once you've had one, but there are also many stories of successful vbacs and the only difference is that you'll probably be monitored more closely in labour to ensure that you and the baby are not in distress, which means that you'll be whisked off to theatre promptly if things look like they are going askew.

Good luck with the birth

I had an emergency section with DD because the cord was round her neck and she was in distress but I'd got to 9cm and was told that had I been fully dilated then they would have let me try the pushing stage. With DS the consultant told me that I had a 70% chance of a VBAC and labour started normally but after my waters went he started to be distressed and in the end I went for a section. It turned out he was face presentation and was unlikely to have been delivered naturally.

In my case the consultant thinks that I probably have a poor pelvis as both babies struggled to engage (DD was 1/5 engaged when I was 9cm) so it's a fundamental problem for me. I think it really just depends on your situation. If you're not sure it'd be worth asking for a de-brief with your consultant to talk about what happened, why and the impact on future pregnancies!

Last edited:
i hads an emergency section with jayde, and the ive just had a planned section with this one the reason being is i was indued with jayde and had prostin gel and said i couldnt be induced again as was too dangerous and i wasnt allowed too go full term i was rather gutted as i really wanted a vaginal birth.

jaydesmummy said:
i hads an emergency section with jayde, and the ive just had a planned section with this one the reason being is i was indued with jayde and had prostin gel and said i couldnt be induced again as was too dangerous and i wasnt allowed too go full term i was rather gutted as i really wanted a vaginal birth.

I was induced too (had the drip) Why would it be dangerous out of interest?

Claire x

nori said:
jaydesmummy said:

Claire x

My friend had an emergency c-section first time and wanted to try for a VBAC second time.
They told her they wouldn't allow her to go overdue because they didn't want to induce as the stronger contractions caused by induction can rupture the c-section scar.

I was her birth partner and she did manage to have her VBAC, she had to have lots of extra monitoring, and wasn't allowed a water birth or anything like that.

Urchin said:
nori said:
jaydesmummy said:

Claire x

My friend had an emergency c-section first time and wanted to try for a VBAC second time.
They told her they wouldn't allow her to go overdue because they didn't want to induce as the stronger contractions caused by induction can rupture the c-section scar.

I was her birth partner and she did manage to have her VBAC, she had to have lots of extra monitoring, and wasn't allowed a water birth or anything like that.

Oh right! That makes sense! Damn it.. looks like my water birth will never happen now.. to be honest.. i dont think id bother with a birth plan next time round.. didnt really manage anything off it atall!

Out of interest what does VBAC stand for??

Claire x

nori said:
Urchin said:
nori said:
jaydesmummy said:

Claire x

Oh right! That makes sense! Damn it.. looks like my water birth will never happen now.. to be honest.. i dont think id bother with a birth plan next time round.. didnt really manage anything off it atall!

Out of interest what does VBAC stand for??

Claire x

It depends on the guidelines in your local health authority. I know of people who have been induced etc so ask your MW.
You will probably have a consultant appointment at around 36 weeks to talk about your options :)

At my consultant appointment at 35 weeks she said that they wouldn't want to induce me but when I went in for my planned section and said that I'd lost some of my plug she examined me and said that she would be happy to administer one pessary but that would be it and that if nothing had happened in a given time it would be a section. So I guess it really comes down to your consultant, and your circumstances.

I had a c section with my son for failure to progress past 4cm. I had a VBAC with my daughter and I was induced. I thought they wouldn't induce me due to previous c section but they were willing to give me 3 lots of prostin! I said I would have two max but only needed one before I had dialated enough to have my waters broken. I was also put on the drip when my contractions slowed down. I didn't feel anymore monitored than I was with my son because I was induced with him so it was normal for me. There was talk of c section at one point but I wanted to wait so I was given 2 hours and then was to be checked and see if I had progressed. An hour and a half later and I was pushing her out! 17 mins pushing and she was born! Totally different to my son! I was lucky that everything went to plan, my scar never hurt, the baby's heart rate was fine and we were going good so they let me carry on as long as I liked really. I was also lucky I has consultants who were very pro vbac!

Urchin said:
nori said:
jaydesmummy said:

Claire x

I had an emergency section with my eldest. And during my pregnancy with my youngest no-one ever mentioned my previous section. I was induce at 10days overdue and had a VBAC, with no probs at all.
Isn't it funny how different hospitals have different rules? You'd think they would all ahve the same ways of doing things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back