Any American mothers here who have registered at Embassy?

mags

Reaction score
To make a long story short, I haven't yet got around to registering my two daughters as American citizens born abroad. Has anyone done this yet, I'm finding all the paperwork a little daunting!

Dunno about America, but I had to register Tia as living abroad and it was as easy as going to the British consulate and getting her passport stamped and signing some forms. I have to go back every year though. Haven't got round to registering lil miss though as being born abroad. Thats a far more complex and expensive matter. I called the British embassy and asked them what was required... They wanted... my birth certificate, my husbands (he don't have one so the want about 10 other forms), our marriage certificate, our family book, the baby's birth certificate, her Spanish documents (NIE number which we haven't got because the irony or ironies is that to get an NIE number you need a passport, to get a passport we need to register her with the embassy :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: )...Oh and a couple 100€'s too.... So we have decided to leave her at the moment, and just have her as Spanish :D

We did it for Rebecca as a Dutch citizen. It was actually cheaper for my OH to go to the Netherlands and register her there (before she was born, registering "unborn fruit" is the literal translation) than it would have been for us to register her at the embassy in London. We had to also provide proof that OH and I are not married (involved getting in touch with the Registrar General for Scotland) which was a pain and expensive to boot.

Seems it's a bit of a painstaking process no matter what the nationality!

I registered Thea as a British citzen born abroad in Hungary and it was a pain in the arse. It cost a fortune too!

Arrgh, it's crazy. I've been married twice since I moved to the UK. Each marriage has produced one child. So my ex-husband (father of my eldest) isn't attending the interview at the Embassy, but they want not only his passport, but a form filled out and a notarized letter from him stating that he is aware I'm registering her as an American citizen. (He is British.) This is complicated because 'notarized' is different in each country isn't it? The Embassy doesn't answer my phone calls, and my emails only get replid to with links to their website which doesn't answer my questions! My now hubby can attend the interview, but he still has to fill out all kinds of junk too. It's just such a hassle....

Hi, I did this last month and we received August's passport yesterday. It was pretty straight forward for us, but DH and I are both American and we were both able to attend the interview. I'm not sure about the notary thing. I thought someone told me once that you can have things notarized (in the American sense) at the Embassy, but I'm not positive about that. I guess that might not be helpful anyways unless your ex is near the Embassy and able to get it done before your interview? I'm sorry I'm not much help. I hope you get it sorted without too much of a headache. :hug:

cant help with it being American but I havent registered Matilda with the British Embassy here - too expensive!!!! - they have said there's no time limit so maybe one day I'll do it :roll: but I was still able to get a British Passport for her, they just needed my birth certificate, her birth certificate (didnt even need to get it translated into english) and the normal stuff for a passport.

Sorry just replying to Squiglet
Squiglet said:
(NIE number which we haven't got because the irony or ironies is that to get an NIE number you need a passport, to get a passport we need to register her with the embassy :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: )...Oh and a couple 100€'s too.... So we have decided to leave her at the moment, and just have her as Spanish :D

Double check this cause to get Matildas passport (British), she didnt need to be registered with the British Embassy and I would have thought that the rules are pretty much the same whichever EEC country you are in

Think it has to do with lil miss not being registered as British at birth... she was registered Finnish as thats DH's nationality. We can get her a Finnish passport no problem and it will technically cost less... BUT... the nearest Finnish embassy is in Madrid... 4 hours away and we'd have to be there for 8:30am so we would have to go spend the night there, and then we'd have to take both kids and in total with travelling costs and hotel stays in the capital.... well it works out as expensive :roll:

Sorry I'm not going to be any help with the main topic but this raised a question I am interested in having answered as so far I've just joked about it... :think:

Are you ladies only having issues because they were born abroad and/or born and live abroad?

Because my husband still isn't going to have british nationailty for several years and I avoided going abraod to pakistan late last month/early this month with my best friend in case I 'popped' early over there and it caused problems...or unless there was problems with flights coming back (is often the case over there) and I ended up staying too long until I wasn't allowed to fly back :shakehead:

However if our child is born in the UK and I'm a UK national then does that over ride everything (like inland rev' have advised me it does with the benefits) or are there going to be problems with them trying to be old fasioned and make bumpy Pakistani after his dad? :doh: :shock:

i think you'll find that if you are a british citizen then the baby is automatically a british citizen. Matilda was born in Greece but is automatically a british citizen because i'm british but also a greek citizen because DH is greek. Also Matilda was registered in Greece with the greek authorities but NOT with the British Embassy, she still hasnt been registered with the british embassy,Squiglet- check with the british embassy as I still got her a British Passport with no probs and did it all by post through the embassy in Athens.

I thought so but I decided not to tempt fate by popping abroad :lol:
I REALLY don't need another visa to sort out :shakehead: :lol:

I don't have to register Kai at the embassy here in Canada as it is a commonwealth country. He travels on a Canadian passport now because getting a British passport for him is $250! It just isn't worth the cost when the Canadian one works fine, when the time comes we'll get him one. We haven't even looked into getting him an Argentinian one but I am sure he can get one through his father.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back