Baby food recipes and weaning links.

SarahH

Reaction score
After recent threads of what to feed babies when and how to make some things I thought I would start a thread with receipe ideas on them (i think there used to be one but I can't find it now!!) Perhaps this could be a sticky?!?!?

Anyway... these are some of Arianna's favs and they are all great that adults can enjoy too!! :D

Baby Food Recipes

Beef and Veg

1 small onion chopped
1tbsp of veg oil
4oz of lean casserole steak cut in to small chunks
2tbsp of flour
14oz of mixed chopped veg ( Carrots, Sweet potato, parsnip, squash, etc)
12fl oz of Veg stock (unsalted)

Heat oil in pan and soften the onion for a few min, Cover the steak in the flour and add to the pan, and seal the meat. Add the veg and stock and simmer for around 2hrs.
Blend to the texture required for your bubs!!

Lentil & Cheese Puree/Dip
2oz of red lentils
1/2oz unsalted butter
2 tomatoes – flesh only
4oz of grated cheddar
1/2tbsp of veg oil

Rinse lentils and add the oil and cover with water and bring to the boil and cover leave to simmer with lid on for approx 40min. Melt the butter in another pan and add the tomato fresh and sauté until mushy, then stir in the cheese to melt.
Drain the lentils and mix with the tomato mixture… you may need to add some water. Puree in processor.
This is great with veg sticks/bread sticks for them to dip in.

Cheesy Fish
4oz white fish fillet (like haddock)
5fl oz milk
5oz veg (carrot or peas or both)
1/2oz butter – unsalted
1tbsp flour
1oz of grated cheddar

Put fish in a pan and cover with the milk and simmer until fish is cooked usually 4 or 5min. Remove the fish but save the stock. Cook the veg in boiling water.
In another pan make the sauce by melting the butter and adding the flour to make a paste, slowly add the fish milk always whisking and bring to the boil while stiring and the cheese and mix in until melted into the sauce. Flake the fish and add the veg to the sauce.

Fritters
Make these with any left over mash/veg etc (usually from Sunday roast!!)
Mash potatoes and add a little milk, add either chicken or whatever... make them into patty shapes... Dip them in flour, then egg, then flour again and put in a pan to colour them then finish off in the oven

Arianna also loves them with some cheese mixed in it!!

Fruit and Dips
2 or 3 hand fulls Fresh or Frozen Raspberries or Strawberries
1tbsp of icing sugar
1tub of greek yoghurt (normal size however much that is!!)

Puree all of the above together and give with Melon, banana, apple, strawberries.

Fruit Pancakes
5oz of plain flour
2 eggs
8fl oz milk
Mix of dried fruit

Mix everything together like your usual pancake batter and add dried fruit to it.
Dried Mango or Apricot seems to be the fav!!

Great idea Sarah!!!

Emma loves these homemade pizzas for lunch:

1 slice wholegrain bread, thinly spread with tomato puree, sprinkle with a little mixed herbs, top with sliced mushrooms and sweetcorn (or any veg of your choice), top with grated cheese and grill until cheese is bubbling. Cut into squares, allow to cool and serve, yum yum, as Emma says :D

:lol: We just unsticked the recipes one last week cos no one ever used it LOL

I'll put emila's weaning links into here aswell and then sticky this one and unsticky that one.

Wooops!! I knew there was one but could I find it!!

ooo i can add to the thread now sarah my dad obught me an annabel karmel book yey :cheer: Its a great idea for a thread

From Daggers...

Re the flap jack reciepe here you go...

Stir together one cup of Ready Brek and one cup of pineapple juice until they form a thick paste. Microwave for 90 seconds.

Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper, and pour on the pineapple mixture. Spread it out into a rectangle, about 5mm thick, and score the surface into smaller blocks with the back of a knife. Bake in the oven at 180C for about 20 minutes, then turn off the oven and leave the mix to dry out and cool. Cut along the score lines and voila! Slightly chewy fruity flapjacky things!

We are going out for lunch today with some friends as I never know if there will be anything suitable for Arianna to eat I always take a little packed lunch for her.

Well I just made these out of the Annabel Karmel book and they are yummy!!

Finger-Picking Chicken Balls

1 onion finely chopped
2oz grated carrot
1tbsp olice oil
1 large Granny Smith apple, pealed cored and grated
2 chicken breasts cut into chunks
1tbsp parsley
2oz of fresh white breadcrumbs
1 chicken stock cube, crumbled
flour for coating
veg oil for frying

Heat oil in a pan and saute half the onion and the grated carrot for 3min, stirring occationaly. Using your hands squeeze out a little excess liquid from the grated apple. Mix together the grated apple, chicken, onion and carrot plus the raw onion parsely, breadcrumbs and crumbled stock cube and chop for a few seconds in a food processor. Season with a little salt and pepper.
Form the mixture into about 20 balls roll in the flour and fry in shallow oil until lightly golden and cooked through (about 4-5 min)

They are lovely and I will defo be making them again!!

I made the readybrek flapjacks last night but i used organic baby peach juice instead of the pineapple juice. Frankly they look and smell vile but Thea thinks they are great lol

I tried to make them with Tropical Juice and they were well squidgy.... are the supposed to be like that?

Sarah, still haven't got round to making the flap jack thingies so not sure what they're meant to be like :think:
However I to have the Annabela... cook book and made the Chicken balls - well for some reason I thought it required chicken mince and as Tesco didn't have any I got Turkey mince instead and used that :doh: , still they taste FAB and Otis likes them as well (Turkey balls!!!).

I made homemade chicken brigers last night for Arianna and she loved them!!

I'm not sure of the quantities as I just made it up as I went!!

Chicken breasts wizzed in the blender added some chopped bacon, chopped tomato (fresh not tinned), chopped onion and then fried them in the pan to seal and put them in the oven!!

They were so simple and soooo yummy!! :D

Scrub sweet potatoes (approx 6 medium/large ones) clean and/or peel them if baby cannot handle the skins

Cut into sizes that will suit your needs or, cut into strips that you may then cut down after baking

In a large bowl, add about 1/4 cup of olive oil.
To this you may add cinnamon, ginger, a pinch of brown sugar, etc..

Toss the cut up sweet potatoes into the bowl and stir so that the potatoes are drenched with the olive oil mix.

Dump mixture onto a baking sheet and drizzle the remaining olive oil in the bowl over the potatoes on the baking sheet.
Stir and swirl the potatoes on the baking sheet before placing in oven.
Bake for approx 30-45minutes at 200C or until tender.

The skins may become crispy but the actual potato "meat" will not. They will be a bit mushy like. These will not look or bake up like regular white potato French Fries so don't be alarmed!

I made these last night for Thea and she loved them. I added some cinnamon to them for the seasoning but no sugar.

From Little*Red

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont know if all of these would be suitable for Finlay just now but you can maybe adjust the recipe to what he can have just now.

Casserole Delight
Carrots
Parsnips
Peas
Potatoes
Chicken / Beef
Baby Milk or Water (to suit)

Steam all veg together with meat for about 20 minutes. Make sure the meat is cut into little pieces to enable it to cook thoroughly. Once cooked, blend all ingredients together to make desired consistency for your baby. Put into ice cube trays once cooled and freeze. Defrost at room temperature and heat as required, letting it cool down before giving it to baby.

Carrot Pasta Delight
2 carrots
1 traingled cheese (dairylea or any other brand)
pasta
some water
salt & pepper to taste

Cook a cup of pasta in unsalted water until tender.
Meanwhile, peel and chop carrots and steam until soft and puree in a blender adding some water.

When pasta is ready drain from water and mix with cheese. add the carrot sauce and mix well until sauce very smoothy.

Macaroni cheese with spinach
vegetarian
2oz macaroni cooked in unsalted water until soft
2oz fresh spinach
4oz cottage cheese
10fl oz baby's usual milk

· Put the spinach into a pan of boiling unsalted water for approx 10 seconds then drain off the water.
· Mash or chop to the texture that’s right for your baby.

Creamed Chicken and Potato
2 teaspoons margarine
1 teaspoon flour
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup chicken, cooked, boned and shredded
1/4 potato, baked and diced
1 tablespoon grated Cheddar cheese

Melt margarine in small heavy pan over low heat. Stir in flour, and blend well. Add milk, and stir until smooth.

Cook over low heat until mixture begins to thicken, then add chicken and potatoes. Stir for about 2 to 3 minutes more or until heated through. Add Cheddar cheese, and stir until smooth.

Cheesy Leeks
Leeks
Potatoes
Cheese

cook potatoes and leeks for twenty minutes and cheese at the end, blend as required

Carrot and Courgette with Rice
2 carrots
1 courgette
Water
2 teaspoons baby rice

Method
1. Peel and slice the carrot. Wash and slice the courgette
2. Boil the carrot and courgette together in a small amount of water until tender.
3. Drain, retaining the cooking water
4. Liquidise the carrot and courgette with about 60mls of the cooking water
5. Add the 2 teaspoons of baby rice and stir

Courgette and Potato Gratin

1 small courgette
1 small potato
60ml milk
25g grated Cheddar cheese
15g butter

Method
1. Wash the vegetables and chop
2. Boil the potato for about 10 minutes until soft
3. Gently fry the courgette in the butter, until soft. Do not allow to get too brown
4. Add the cooked and drained potato, milk and cheese to the courgette and cook over a gentle heat until the cheese has melted
5. Blend to the required consistency

Chicken and Mango
1 chicken breast
1 carrot
1 parsnip
1 mango

Method
1. Roast or steam the chicken breast until cooked
2. Peel and chop the carrot and parsnip and steam until tender
3. Peel and de stone the mango, cut flesh into rough cubes
4. Puree all ingredients together

Comment
To make this recipe less fruity and more savoury, use just half a mango and 1 medium sized cooked potato instead

Fruity Pork and Vegetables
25g minced pork
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
Half a leek, washed and finely sliced
2 ready-to-eat dried apricots
Half a parsnip, peeled and chopped

Method
1. Dry fry the minced pork until cooked through, transfer to a small casserole dish
2. Add the remaining ingredients to the casserole dish with just enough water to cover them
3. Cook in a moderate oven until soft
4. Blend all ingredients together

Comment
This recipe can be varied by using minced lamb instead of pork

from Gemma & Jake

Here are some Annabel Karmel recipes.

Trio of Root Vegatables

Orange fleshed sweet potato is a good source of vitamins C, and betacarotene and is richer in nutrients than ordinary potatoes. You can also substitute other vegetables like swede or pumpkin for the sweet potato. Root vegetables have a naturally sweet taste, they puree to a smooth consistency and are unlikely to cause allergies so they make a good first food.

Ingredients
200g sweet potato, peeled and chopped
200g carrots , peeled and chopped
100g parsnips, peeled and chopped

Method:
Steam the vegetables for about 20 minutes or until tender. Blend the vegetables to a puree adding a little of the boiled water at the bottom of the steamer (about 75ml) or some of your baby’s usual milk to make a good consistency for your baby.

Steaming is the best way to preserve nutrients but if you don’t have a steamer, put the vegetables into a saucepan and just cover with boiling water. Cover the pan with a lid and cook over a medium heat until tender (about 20 minutes). Drain the vegetables and blend to a puree using a little of the cooking liquid or you could add a little of your baby’s usual milk.

Information:
Suitable for freezing
MAKES 6 PORTIONS

Butternut Squash & Pear

Butternut squash like pumpkin and sweet potato, is one of the more unusual vegetables now available in supermarkets which would make ideal baby food. It is easily digested, rarely causes allergies, and is a good source of betacarotene and vitamins C and E. Babies like the naturally sweet taste, which combines well with vegetables like peas or broccoli and also goes well with fruits like apple or pear.
Cooking fruit and vegetables in a steamer as in this recipe is one of the best ways of preserving nutrients.

Ingredients
1 medium butternut squash (about 450g)
1 ripe juicy pear

Method:
Peel the butternut squash, cut in half, remove the seeds and chop into pieces. Steam for about 12 minutes. Peel, core and chop the pear; add to the steamer and continue to cook for 5 minutes or until the squash is tender. Puree in a blender and stir in about 6 tablespoons of the water at the bottom of the steamer or as much as is needed to make the puree a suitable consistency for your baby.

Information:
From 4 months
Suitable for freezing
MAKES 6 PORTIONS

Apricot, Apple, Pear & Vanilla

Serve this on its own or mix it with some baby rice, Greek yoghurt or mashed banana. Adding a vanilla pod gives the fruit a lovely flavour but its also delicious without.

Ingredients
75g ready to eat dried apricots, chopped
1 large apple, peeled, cored and chopped
1 vanilla pod
4 tbsp apple juice or water
1 large ripe pear, peeled, cored and chopped

Method:
Put the apricots and apple into a heavy based saucepan together with the apple juice or water. If using vanilla, split the vanilla pod, scrape the seeds into the pan and throw in the split pod. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the chopped pear and continue to simmer for 2 minutes. Remove the split vanilla pod and puree in a blender.

Information:
Suitable for freezing

great thread never realised it before nut i have just copied all the recipies and will try and attempt them :D

hi all, great recipes! any ideas on what to start of with first weaning for baby. kayla will be ready in a few weeks and i have got soem baby rice in but was just wondering about what things to introduce to her first for the first tastes etc and then how do i build on that.

i used the jars/tins with dd1 but they work out so expensive and i wanted to try it myself this time and then she can be included in mealtimes with us as a family.

xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Currish
Back