Benefits after Mat Leave

poppy160

Reaction score
I hope this is the correct section for this post!

I don't want to return to work after my Maternity Leave finishes. I hated my job and they treated me like sh*t and also, I want to spend as much time with Ella as possible. My question is, when my Maternity pay stops, will there be other benefits I will be entitled to? My OH has a good job and can support us on his wage, but things will be tight, and I would feel bad for leaving him with the financial worries.

Have a look at the stickies on child tax credit. Unless your OH has a massive salary (above 60 000 I think) you are definitely entitled to something.

I don't know if you can get working tax credit as you won't be working. But presumably your OH can apply:think:

You won't be entitled to job seekers allowance or anything like that because you won't be job seeking - you will be choosing not to work.

Hi Poppy160,

This may be a completely silly suggestion but have you thought about becoming a childminder? My friend did that as she didn't want to go back to her old job but they would have struggled too much on her OH's salary only.

My friend looks after another child around the age of her son. She is really happy about it as she feels it is a bonus for her son to have a companion and she can be with her son and earn money at the same time... She did have to order a double buggie (Phil & Ted) from e-bay though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back