best way to get him to sleep for longer?

jennywren

Reaction score
at the moment Oran feeds approximatley every 3 ish hours no more than 4 hours does he go between feeds but he is pretty spot on with his 3 hours, as he starts grizzling on the dot mostly. The thing is he is doing this on a night as well, so say, if I feed him at 7, he will feed again about 10 to 10.30 then like 1.30am then like 4-5am and then at that feed he won't really settle properly and has to sleep on me as if I put him back in his basket he wakes up.

I have had the occasional 4-5 hours between feeds but its only been a few times.

I was told if he has feeds every 3 hours in the day he should fill up and last longer on a night, but he is not doing this. He is mostly drinking about 3oz, but sometimes its only 2.5 but the past few feeds he has done just about 4oz.

He has expressed breast milk in the day and then from his 7pm feed till his morning feed he has Formula.

Do you think I should try 5oz on a night to try and fill him up more - thing is I dont want him to drink it just cause its in his mouth then throw up cause he has drunk to much. Is 5oz to much really for a 2 week 3 day old?

also he does have bad wind and is quite hard to wind, we have Dr Browns bottles which have made him better and we are off to get some infacol tomorrow, so I thought that the wind could be waking him, then he decides he is hungry since he is awake - he is deffo hungry when he wakes as he polishes off the bottle.

I wouldnt expect a baby to go more than 3.5 hours tbh at this age. All are different with oz's and I found giving my baby a dummy when she woke was just the ticket as sometimes they want to suck not feed. My baby is 1 month next week and you sound like me 2 weeks ago. I bought NUK bottles for feeding and stopped expressing but this is personal to you. Have you looked into what you have eaten as that could make him windy?

I give my babe her las feed at 11pm and she sleeps til 4am then 7am I give her another and they are 4-5 oz i sometimes give a 2oz top-up in between during the day.

Also a bath wears them out,lol

good luck

I would say 5oz is a bit much for such a young baby. He sounds like hes' doing fine for his age. As he gets older and bigger he'll be able to go longer between feeds. It's tiring but it won't last too long. :sleep:

Because he is only a couple weeks old, his stomach cant keep the milk in for long so he will feed every 3 hours because thats long his stomach can hold onto the milk for.
As he gets older, he will start drinking more and go longer.
Emily is on 6oz every 4hours in day and 5/6hours and night already.
I wouldnt give him 5oz just yet as he will probably just throw it all back up, we did this with emily and it was the worst night id had.

right thanks everyone - ill keep him on the 4oz for a few more weeks or till he really is demanding more.

I guess were lucky he is going 3 hours and a bit more sometimes rather than every hour or something lol. I just give him a bit of water as well and yes I do give him a dummy to suck on as he does like to just suck but it only settles him for like 10 mins while the bottle is warming up!

Ill keep trudging on the way we are as im handling the lack of sleep fine as Im used to it from working shifts and 12 hour nights with only a ew hours in the day so for once my job did something good for me ha ha

To be honest at 2-3 weeks it isn't unusual for a baby to only sleep for a few hours at a time. I know it is really tiring but it won't last forever.

Charlie was the same from new born, every 3 hours or so...got to the stage in the early days that we could time him for when he would wake for a feed, then all of a sudden it was 4 hours between at night and we had a complete panic when at just over 6 weeks he suddenly went 8 hours :shock: .
I used to love it that he would sleep most of the night then wake at about 6ish for a bottle then would be guarateed to go back down for another 4-5 hours so we would sleep in until 11am!!!! it was wonderful!!!!
It will get better, Charlie had bad wind so we used infacol and we changed his formula to C&G Comfort which really settled him. When he got older we changed from infacol (we went through so many bottles of the stuff and he had refulx) so we sopped to Colief which was really good although abit of a pain to make up!!!! (We also got colief on prescription as its about £10 to buy)

mdsremos said:
Charlie was the same from new born, every 3 hours or so...got to the stage in the early days that we could time him for when he would wake for a feed, then all of a sudden it was 4 hours between at night and we had a complete panic when at just over 6 weeks he suddenly went 8 hours :shock: .
I used to love it that he would sleep most of the night then wake at about 6ish for a bottle then would be guarateed to go back down for another 4-5 hours so we would sleep in until 11am!!!! it was wonderful!!!!
It will get better, Charlie had bad wind so we used infacol and we changed his formula to C&G Comfort which really settled him. When he got older we changed from infacol (we went through so many bottles of the stuff and he had refulx) so we sopped to Colief which was really good although abit of a pain to make up!!!! (We also got colief on prescription as its about £10 to buy)

ooo well maybe we will be lucky and he will be sleeping through by 8 weeks as well :cheer: he he

Were off to get some infacol today and see if it helps his wind. He is on the C&G step 1 stuff at the moment - and breastmilk during the day. The dr browns bottles have helped though as well.

at 3am this morning though he decided while laying on my chest dozing of to start being sick as I was about to sit him up etc he decided to projectile vomit all in my face and mouth - LOVELY!! think he was to greedy at his feed and ate to much to quick then had lots of windy pops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back