Boy or Girl - How it works?

Laurababs

Reaction score
Its suppose to be that its usually the guy who determines if your going to have a boy or a girl right? Example if your OH has mostly girls in his family (sisters) your more likely to have a girl. My OH has 0 sisters and 2 brothers and we are having a boy :lol: Just wanted to hear other peoples opinions and experiences with this.

My hubby has 1 sister and we are having our 2nd girl :D

It's the male cell that determines the gender, but I don't think family members should influence it.

AFAIK male sperm are faster, smaller and more delicate. Female are slower because they are bigger and heavier and also more robust. This means, the time between semen entering the uterus and fertilising the egg can influence (males die first, so if it's longer the female sperm are more likely to have survived), the man's quality of sperm should also influence gender (there was a study I read about, men who worked in some radioactive establishment were significantly more likely to have girls as the male sperm were affected).

my OH has 2 sisters we have one of each.

well, it is the guy that determines gender insofar as he's the one who supplies the X or Y chromosome - the egg has just an X chromosome. And it is true to a certain extent that the number of X sperm and the number of Y sperm may be influenced by genetic factors, which may also have affected the number of brothers/sisters he has.

However, his lifestyle will play a very big part. For example, most chefs have daughters rather than sons - this is believed to be due to the high temperatures of their working environment. Similarly a lot of professional cyclists (or very keen amateurs) have daughters.

Timing also plays a big part. X sperm tend to be heavier and slower, but stronger than Y sperm (hence coping better with higher temperatures which kill off the Y sperm earlier). Chances are that if you have sex three days before ovulation, but not after that, you are more likely to have a girl. The Y (boy) sperm tend not to survive long enough to meet the egg. If, on the other hand, you have sex for the first time that cycle very close to ovulation, the Y sperm usually win the race...

Then there's the female body - the PH level of the reproductive system favours some sperm over others - can't remember which way round it is.

None of this is definite though. Men produce millions of sperm each ejaculation, so there'll always be some of each that get through if any do, no matter what the conditions, it's just a question of how the odds are stacked. If 10 sperm make it to the egg at the same time, and 9 are Y and 1 is X, it's still a 10% chance of a girl!

I have no idea what im having!
I have 1 sister though and Mark has a brother PMSL :rotfl:

Arr i see thanks for clearing that up NickyB and Kittykins, never did pay attention in biology :lol:

It is the father who determines the sex... as for family history I dunno if there's any truth in that... I guess I won't be able to help cos my OH hasn't had any contact with his genetic father since he was very young :think:

My ex has 4 brothers and no sisters.
How wierd is that, its true :)

My OH has six sisters and three brothers...we had a son.

I'm going to say it's 50/50 becasue while it is a male or female sperm it also depends when the woman ovulates as to which sperm will be there in time.

My DH has a sister and no brothers. Our first child was a boy, though.

I think that BDing on the day you OV does play a big part in determining the sex of a child. We BDed on the day I OVed with my first pregnancy and ended up with a boy. This time we BDed nearly every day after I checked for OV with OPKs, so it's anyone's guess now :wink:

my dh has 1 brother and 1 sister and i have 7 Sisters and 1 brother me and dh already have a son together and dh has a son from a previous relationship so will be interesting to see what im having on thursday :D

im from a family of girls
my grandma had 2 gilrs
my mum had 2 girls, my oh has a daughter
from previous relationship and we had a boy
cant wait to find out the sex of this one

My oh is from family of boys + a 1/2 sister.

He has a son, his sister has 2 boys...

We're having a girl :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back