Breastfeeding in Public?

amandapanda

Reaction score
I really hope I can successfully establish breastfeeding and am really going to try my hardest. But watching that 'Breast is Best' doc the other day did raise an important issue for me.....I really can't see myself being able to get my boobs out in public!! There was this young girl who had the same fear and if she was out and baby needed feeding she'd just go and sit in some dingy toilet to do it...sometimes for 45 minutes! Which I really don't like the sound of either!! Eventually they encouraged her to do it in public but she was really slim with small boobs and you couldn't really notice anyway....I'm going to have a mixed race baby hanging off my giant white boob and I think it'll be really noticeable...I am a very self conscious person anyway about how I look, my weight etc....so even the thought of getting my boobs out in public terrifies me!!

Any tips or suggestions as to how I can get over this?? xx

You can buy special feeding tops that make it more discreet if you're worried - it is quite daunting thinking about it; I think even my hubby would look at me funny if I whipped my boob out in Tesco! X

look for places which have a mother baby room hun - There were not many when I had my son 11 years ago but they were real life savers, try and plan ahead - easier said than done when you are breastfeeding on demand but having a plan really worked for me and stopped me getting all stressy.

Being able to sit down and relax have your self a drink while baby drinks is a good thing especially in the early days of feeding. You could also try small coffee shops as you get more confident and try to get yourself up in a corner somewhere. You will be suprised after awhile at how natural it really is and that people don't even notice!

The amount of support avaliable to woman now is amazing! xx

I've also read on here that some of the girls use slings? Don't know the details though. Hopefully one of them will see this thread hun

x

If you use the tops specially designed for BF, it's hard to tell you're even doing it. I found that just a couple of vest tops worn under normal low cut tops cover really well.

And it's not like you have to stop in the middle of a packed shopping centre. There is always a cafe or a mother and baby room somewhere nearby x

My OH cousin wears special vests that you just adjust. Anytime she's been feeding in front of me I haven't noticed until he's already latched onto her. And when I have seen her at the beginning I never seen any boob, everything was covered. You could try those type of tops xx

One of the things that has helped me a great deal, is I have two friends who breastfeed and they just get it out and go. One uses home made breastfeeding tops (two stringy tops, one on top of the other - means no tummy needs to show etc) and the other just doesn't give a wotsit about getting her nips out for her baby.

You can use slings in certain wraps, so you can be carrying baby and baby is latched on and no one knows.

You can use a cellular blanket or muslin square or other material bought specially (why buy the expensive material when a blanket will do) to cover you, too.

Not been there yet but hope to be doing it when Daisy is born :)

i was woried about this and used to express and tak bottle of breat milk out with me, when he was fussy and i had to feed him I managed it i couldn;t believe it, but i made sure i was wearing a baggy top or breast feding top and took a blanket with me and no one could tell, it took me a while to learn how to do it disreetly but i got there in the end. you really dont need to get you whole boob out and in time you will learn that at first I had to get my wole boob out but i learnt at hme how to be discreet andthen i felt alot more confident.

I always admire women who breastfeed in public and who do it discreetly. When i say discreetly, I mean that I have seen women who whip out their entire boobs, leave them hanging there, nipples on show whilst they prepare their baby and wave it in the mouth. I think this is unnecessary. I think it's perfectly possible to feed your baby in the middle of a crowded space without attracting attention to yourself. Just wear certain types of tops, carry a pashmina with you and remember that you are feeding your baby at the end of the day!

I am like you, I hope to do it without people looking at me and thinking things....

xx

Im the same Amanda. Ive never been shy before but ive always been slim and comfortable in my skin before i got pregnant - now ive put on a huge amount of weight and im soooo paranoid about it. Im hoping ill be able to express and use bottles in public and if i absolutely have to breastfeed then im hoping just a normal thin summery scarf can cover the area x

Here are a couple of discreet cover ups to hide bubs on boob
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/98054430...de=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=9805443094
Or this one http://www.fayeandlou.co.uk/shop/the-breast-feeding-butterfly.html?gclid=CP37rO38m6gCFUFC4QodAVkWHA
The shawl is good & comes in loads of different colours & looks more like an item of clothing in my opinion.
I never got anything like this when I breastfed Joseph & I refuse to go into grotty toilets or sly of anywhere this time just in case I offend anyone! I don't want to lob my boobs out for all to see either, so this strikes a happy medium I think.

Sunnyb xxx

When i breastfed my first, I managed fine in public without slings or anything like that, don't think they were on the go then or I hadn't heard about them anyway - this was nearly 12 years ago though and i was 18. If you get a decent breastfeeding bra, the top that you wear usually covers most of your boob up so its hardly noticeable and the baby covers it up also. You don’t have to whip it out first and leave it dangling on display either, you can get the baby ready first the get it out so its hardly noticeable . You'll be surprised how easy it is once you get over the fear of doing it in public. I would rather have a happy non screaming child than one that is screaming its head off and everyone looking at you...

Last edited:
I'm planning on using muslins like slings to cover me & baby up if I need to feed in public :) But like others have said if you self conscious then try to find a mother and baby room. Some baby changing rooms have discreet feeding spaces round the corner. It's funny but throughout this whole pregnancy i've been very much 'i'll give it a try and see what happens' but over the past few days i'm kinda coming round to the idea of giving it my best shot rather than a half hearted go. x

Thanks all, lots to think about there!! I think I'll practice being discreet at home first before I take him out in public....then first option would be Mum & baby room and second option a quiet corner of a small cafe I guess. And if all else fails an emergency bottle of expressed milk incase I totally wimp out, lol!! I've got a couple of nursing vests and I quite like those colourful slings that Sunny B has suggested...but I might try a shawl or blanket first just to save money and see how it works out. Thanks :) xx

Now I've not really had any experience but one of my friends from my ante natal class used to wear a long cotton scarf, nothing special just matching her outfits. When her baby had a feed she'd drape one end loosely over babies head and her boob so you really couldn't see anything. I suppose it must be trial and error to find what you'll be comfortable with too. Why don't you try going to a friend or family members house first, then somewhere you know well so you're still partially within your comfort zone. Good luck!

I used to choose quiet corners or places that had breastfeeding rooms, then my health visitor helped demonstrate discrete feeding with just the babies shawl. I know someone who used to still wear her bump band to give her an extra layer over her tum to help (going to try this one myself this time). The more you do it the easier it gets (fed my 2nd DD in public more than my 1st), my husband was the one who found it hard. x

I always admire women who breastfeed in public and who do it discreetly. When i say discreetly, I mean that I have seen women who whip out their entire boobs, leave them hanging there, nipples on show whilst they prepare their baby and wave it in the mouth. I think this is unnecessary. I think it's perfectly possible to feed your baby in the middle of a crowded space without attracting attention to yourself. Just wear certain types of tops, carry a pashmina with you and remember that you are feeding your baby at the end of the day!

I am like you, I hope to do it without people looking at me and thinking things....

xx

There are a lot of men and women out there who get disgruntled by that, and some mums like to flaunt it to pee them off further - which isn't nice. It's good to not give a damn and all, but I do think there should be a limit to waving it about.

Having said that, one of my bf friends has answered the door and gone to the local shop, by mistake, with her boob hanging out, because she's been sleep deprived and in mummy mode and has forgotten! Sometimes you got to laugh.

But as I hate getting any of me out, I will be hoping to learn to do it discreetly first. I have a strategy - my two friends are going to go through it with me, with me in a breastfeeding bra/top type thing, and my LO's baby dolly.

Reminds me - I'm not bothered by the 'need' to ogle the man's naked top half, I actually find that kind of uneccessary (and I can't bloody well do it, can I) - but I bet these blokes are the sort to moan if they see a lady breastfeeding! The fact that people complain when someone is feeding their baby and there's no boob on show, says a lot though, I think.

Anyhoo I'm digressing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Currish
Back