Cat help please

Snuggle

Reaction score
I collected 2 cats from LisaJ1986 yesterday, they are brother and sister and are a year old. They both appear to be very timid and scare very easily. I knew they would probably be a bit frightened coming to a new home so we put some food out for them then sat in the livingroom and left them to come in as and when they were ready. Eventually they ventured in and had a nosey around but stayed away from us. After a while they approached us more and eventually we were able to stroke them and they settled. They are ok with myself and hubby now although the boy (Chandler) does occasionally hiss at us if we startle him. The problem we are having is that both cats seem petrified of Maddison (my one year old) :( The female (Monica) runs and hides under the kitchen table and Chandler hisses and growls at her, this really scares me. When Chandler hisses at me I just stroke him and he stops but Maddison doesnt understand that he is frightened and it makes her cry when he hisses at her.
Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this? Should I just give them plenty of time to adjust to their new environment and keep Maddison away from them for now? They are obviously very scared as my husband has just walked in and they both scarpered behind the tv :(

It's probably because she's quite quick and noisy to them! They will probably settle once they get used to everything hun

Thanks hun, thats what I'm hoping. I think they are scared of noise and Maddison is VERY noisy so hopefully they will grow to get used to her over time and eventually she will be able to approach them :hug:

I'm so sorry they are being like this! The female has always been quite timid, although she has improved a bit. The male on the other hand this is very surprising.
Although toddlers are new to them both, and i'm pretty sure they won't hurt her. I just wish i knew why they were like it. Like i said before if they are a problem i will help you.
I'm quite upset that they are behaving like this. They usually love a fuss.

They will be very very scared chick, that's all, it's going to take them atleast a few weeks to settle in.

I'm going to PM you some websites to take a look at xxx

It's all so new to them - even the most confident cat is going to be timid for a while until, they get used to their new territory. Could you put one room that is just theirs, that Maddi can't get into, or any other pets so they have somewhere to hide. We did this with 2 of mine when we first got them and they soon settled in. My cat Peggy hisses at Seren sometimes, but Seren knows that she's not to grab the cats. Cally is learning and has been scratched twice by a cat :roll: , but I believe she has to learn how to be respectful to them.

Lisa don't be upset, like I said this is what animals do when they get rehomed, it is a big upheaval and you have done everyhting you can to make sure your cats are rehomed successfully :hug:

Can only echo what other people have said.. they just need time to get used to the new house, new noises, smells etc.. We got our cat who was the most moody and horrible cat in the world.. lol.. but he desperatly needed a home, within weeks he was so nice and kind and cuddley.. all they need is time to settle, and a loving home..
Hope they feel better soon..!
x
x

hmm, idk because our commander dragonpuss was introduced to millie as soon as she was born, so before she could poke him and prod him and sprawl all over him like she does now :lol:

he was still timid at first, he kept out of the way and hid under the stairs most of the time, for about 2 weeks. he is fine with her now tho. he makes allowances for her that if we did what she does would get scratched! its as if he knows she doesnt kno any better he lets her off!

we did have another cat, pixie, who was my baby before millie came along. she had special needs. we had to re-home her in the end because not only could she not keep herself clean (she left trails of poo where she sat and poopy pawprints and stuff) also she never came round to millie like C.D. did. when millie cried i would see pixie stare at her and lean forward, in attack mode :shock: well, i couldnt have that. it broke our hearts, but she had to go :(

dragonpuss just needed a couple weeks and was fine then. hopefully your two will be the same. xx

Lisa dont be upset hun, I'm not too worried about this as I think they will need some time to settle and hopefully thats all it is. I only posted this to get some advice to make sure we were doing the right things to help them find their feet here. I have the baby gate up between the livingroom and kitchen and the cats can have the kitchen as their safe haven away from her :wink:
I'm sorry if this post upset you Lisa, please dont worry, they will be just fine. Like I said, I'm just checking I'm doing the right things to make the kitties comfy and happy :hug:
Thank you for advice girls and thank you KittyMom for the PM :hug:

Its way too early for them to feel settled and not be scared of their new surroundings, it will be 4-6weeks before they truely settle down.

beanie said:
Could you put one room that is just theirs, that Maddi can't get into, or any other pets so they have somewhere to hide.

This is great advice, have a room where they can go if they want to rest up or hide where they will not be disturbed by anyone, including madison. They need somewhere they feel is 'their' space, you could keep their litter tray here and feed them here as well. I would also recommend you shut them in there for periods as well (maybe overnight?) so they know its theirs for the time being. If they display 'timid' behaviour like hiding or hissing don't push them by following them, trying to pick them up, cuddle them etc, let them do this in their own time.

After a week or so of letting them settle, if they are still being timid you need to introduce yourself slowly to them ie sit on the floor near them while they feed or sit on the floor to watch tv and let them come around you.

Theres a website here http://www.catchat.org which gives some great advice

Good luck :D

:hug: :hug: :hug:
I'm sure they'll settle in.
If it's any consolation the cat I had at my mums spend the first 3 weeks behind the sofa! She would only come out if it was just me and she'd sneak out in the night for food. We've a big family and she used to run and hide when the toddlers were round but it soon stopped as she got used to them.

Snuggle said:
Lisa dont be upset hun, I'm not too worried about this as I think they will need some time to settle and hopefully thats all it is. I only posted this to get some advice to make sure we were doing the right things to help them find their feet here. I have the baby gate up between the livingroom and kitchen and the cats can have the kitchen as their safe haven away from her :wink:
I'm sorry if this post upset you Lisa, please dont worry, they will be just fine. Like I said, I'm just checking I'm doing the right things to make the kitties comfy and happy :hug:
Thank you for advice girls and thank you KittyMom for the PM :hug:

It's ok. I'm still finding it strange them not being here. And i feel i could have done something different to make things easier. Like getting them to spend more time with Angel maybe.

Thank you Fluffy Bunny, we are using the kitchen as their space. They have their litter trays and food in there and Maddison isnt allowed in (good job really as she has started helping herself to caramel slices from the cupboard :lol: ).
Both cats have no problem coming to me and Chris at night when Maddison is in bed, they come and lie beside us on settee, its Maddison they are really scared of. Monica runs away from her and Chandler hisses and growls. Chandler has just allowed Maddison to stroke his head though so progress :D
I am just going to give them both their own space and let them come to us when they feel ready however long it takes.
Thank you for replies :hug:

Snuggle said:
Thank you Fluffy Bunny, we are using the kitchen as their space. They have their litter trays and food in there and Maddison isnt allowed in (good job really as she has started helping herself to caramel slices from the cupboard :lol: ).

.... and no doubt she would help herself to the catfood if she could as well, they seem to think 'oh little biscuits for me' :D well, Evie does :oops:

Its a time thing with madison, they will get used to her, don't feel bad if they scarper when she is around, its good they have somewhere they can go to get away from her. She doesn't know any different than to run at them, they just want to get away from the loud screaming, moving toddler :D Once they realise they can get away they will get bolder with coming to her and putting up with her, I bet they become best buddies :hug:

Fluffy Bunny said:
Snuggle said:

.... and no doubt she would help herself to the catfood if she could as well, they seem to think 'oh little biscuits for me' :D well, Evie does :oops:

Its a time thing with madison, they will get used to her, don't feel bad if they scarper when she is around, its good they have somewhere they can go to get away from her. She doesn't know any different than to run at them, they just want to get away from the loud screaming, moving toddler :D Once they realise they can get away they will get bolder with coming to her and putting up with her, I bet they become best buddies :hug:

Thanks hun, they are getting braver already TBH. They both came over and hung around her highchair while she was having tea but think it was more that they wanted her food than anything :lol: Also, she is strapped in on the chair so cant get to them :wink:
I think it will just be a matter of time, they just need to get used to how loud she is. The more they watch her the more they will see she isnt something to be scared of :hug:

They will settle i promise! i got one of my cats back from someone who no longer wanted it and for 4 days she hissed and snarled and was so evil to us all!

But then all of a sudden she was completely nice!

The cats will get better, they need to get used to their new surroundings and you guys, be gentle and they will be fine!

im sure they'll settle down eventually :hug:

We took in my grandads cat after he died....he was 18 and had lived with my grandad all his life so it was a massive shock for him. He wouldnt leave our spare room for weeks, but i used to get a plate of chicken and go and sit with him for a while and get him used to me, then he eventually started venturing out of the room and he was fine in the end. Mind you , he never was too keen on Beth :? But he stopped swearing at her eventually :lol:

Thanks girls, they are totally fine with Chris and I now but still scared of Maddison. Think it will just take time for them to get used to her. Chandler isnt hissing as much now and Monica let Maddison stroke her this morning :D

Snuggle said:
Thanks girls, they are totally fine with Chris and I now but still scared of Maddison. Think it will just take time for them to get used to her. Chandler isnt hissing as much now and Monica let Maddison stroke her this morning :D

Aww, thats good news :D

I have 3 cats (all of which i had before i had Beth and Iz) and 1 of them STILL doesnt like Beth very much at all :lol: Even after 7 years, she still hardly lets her near her, she's just very timid, poor thing.

Im glad they're settling in a bit better though x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Currish
Back