Does anyone know any really horrible books...

zebrastripes

Reaction score
Coursework.

“Examine the Gothic Elements of “Wuthering Heights” which disturbed early readers of Emily Brontes’ novel, and assess their effectiveness.”

To the modern day reader, “Wuthering Heights” may not seem,at first glance, a particularly disturbing novel. Compared with some of the more recent literature now in circulation, it could be mistaken for nothing more than an old fashioned rural romance.

That is the introduction to my English coursework, final draft.
My English teacher says I need to give examples of the modern day literature which could be disturbing/shocking
Problem is, i don't know any! Except for James Herbert.
Wuthering Heights has necrophilia in it...I need a few titles of modern day books which are one step up from necrophilia, basically.

Any ideas?

What about American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis, that is a really disturbing book.

ETA - It is about a Broker in New York I think who is basically a psycho but he carries out some horrific acts (murder, mutilation, etc) but the book leaves you not knowing whether it is all in his mind or he is actually carrying out the acts, very disturbing.

I found Post Mortem by Patricia Cornwell quite disturbing!!
Not sure it would count as one step up from Necrophilia though? :shock:

How about Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal?

Richard Laymon books can be Very disturbing
Beast house trilogy especially

What about Lolita by Nabokov - ther whole theme of peadophilia & how he tries to justify it by ptting it onto her (hence we think of the term 'lolita' as being a seductress) is VERY disturbing. There is also a recent book called 'We need to talk about Kevin' by Lionel Shiver that is conversations of a women to her son who has murdered his classmates ('done a columbine'). That discusses his childhood and brings up the whole nature vs nuture debate.

Good luck!!

I'll ask my OH, he is a books expert...well he used to work with them. Give me a few hours :wink:

fifi211 said:
What about American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis, that is a really disturbing book.

ETA - It is about a Broker in New York I think who is basically a psycho but he carries out some horrific acts (murder, mutilation, etc) but the book leaves you not knowing whether it is all in his mind or he is actually carrying out the acts, very disturbing.

That would be my top choice, horrific! :shock:

Im really tired and cant remember any names or anyhting, but theres a book called "pig" or something by the guy that wrote Trainspotting....damn i cant remember his name even thouhg I used to have all his books :wall: :wall:

But yeah thats VERY disturbing :shock:

Ian McEwan's The Cement Garden, The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks and Crash by J G Ballard are all quite disturbing yet are incredibly well written. All have disturbing sexual elements within them that may be useful as comparisons against Wuthering Heights.

If you use American Psycho, it may be worth mentioning that the novel shocks with it's obscene sexual and violent content but also because the writer mimics different popular writing styles within the book this can lull the reader into a false sense of what he/she is reading. Also probably besides the point but the film is amazing.

Richard Montanari's The Skin Gods or The Rosary Girls - very disturbing or Jillianne Hoffmann's Plea of Insanity - again disturbing! ( God, I have bizarre tastes in books,lol :oops: )

Mildly said:
Ian McEwan's The Cement Garden, The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks and Crash by J G Ballard are all quite disturbing yet are incredibly well written. All have disturbing sexual elements within them that may be useful as comparisons against Wuthering Heights.

I think i may have seen a film of the cement garden - is it where the kids put there mum in an old metal filing cabinet - an fill it with cement? Amongst other things.

Emmylou said:
glitzyglamgirl said:
damn i cant remember his name even thouhg I used to have all his books :wall: :wall:

Irvine Welsh :D

thats exactly who I was thinking of. Cant think of anyone more disturbing.

trainspotting, maribou storlk nightmares, the acid house and more.

lauramumof2 said:
Emmylou said:
glitzyglamgirl said:
damn i cant remember his name even thouhg I used to have all his books :wall: :wall:

Irvine Welsh :D

thats exactly who I was thinking of. Cant think of anyone more disturbing.

trainspotting, maribou storlk nightmares, the acid house and more.

yes i read "pig" too (or whatever it was called) that was quite disturbing.

Minxy said:
fifi211 said:

That would be my top choice, horrific! :shock:

yes that book is quite horrific innit. LOVE the film tho FOXXXXXXXXXEEEEEEEE yummy i LOVE him!

my boyf has a book called "the hellbound heart" which is quite disturbing too. think thats all i can think of

glitzyglamgirl said:
Im really tired and cant remember any names or anyhting, but theres a book called "pig" or something by the guy that wrote Trainspotting....damn i cant remember his name even thouhg I used to have all his books :wall: :wall:

But yeah thats VERY disturbing :shock:

It was called Filth. Has a picture of a pig in a policemans helmet on the front cover. It had a tapeworm in it. I read it years ago when I was travelling. Was good. Isn't Animal Farm quite disturbing? I've never read it but its as classic as 1984 isn't it? :think: I rarely read fiction.

Animal Farm isn't disturbing, we read in in 3rd year :D They won't let us study Oscar Wilde cause he was gay :roll:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back