eczema and baths?

caz2008

Reaction score
Hi my son has eczema all on his face and chest area and dry skin on his arms and legs..
I am wanting to try get him into a routine of bath bottle bed at at the moment he doesnt settle till after 1am so i wanna try settle him at 10pm ish and see how long he will sleep for..
but i wondered is it best to bath him everynight as he has eczema can it make it worse?

caz2008 said:
Hi my son has eczema all on his face and chest area and dry skin on his arms and legs..
I am wanting to try get him into a routine of bath bottle bed at at the moment he doesnt settle till after 1am so i wanna try settle him at 10pm ish and see how long he will sleep for..
but i wondered is it best to bath him everynight as he has eczema can it make it worse?

Hi Caz,

Connie has eczema just on her face (of variable severity, we think bananas are causing it?!?!)... and we bath her every night. The bathing seems to make no difference to the eczema, as it seems to be diet-related. Have you noticed his gets worse after his bath? Do you have any of that minging Ungmentum (sp?) stuff from the Health Visitor or something similar to put on it afterwards?

For us the benefits of bathing every day far outweigh the inconveniences. If it were bothering Flod we might think again.

Hope this is helpful - might be worth speaking to your HV for a second opinion though xxx

i agree to asking the HV, we were prescribed balneum for his bath as he is looking like eczema, and diprobase for afterwards. the Dr also advised me to bathe every other night for a while to see if that helped.
our lad is the same, won't go down til 1am or so, in fact im sitting here typing as his daddy is trying to get him to bed early, but doesn't seem to be working!!!

Galen suffers with this and we have found since it started around 5 months old that the less we bath him the better it is. He has a bath and afterwards his skin always looks so much worse.

We use Diprobath, Diprobase ointment and cream and also have a mild steriod cream for the bad bits as and when needed. So long as he only has 2 baths a week he seems to not need it. Or he doesn't get too hot and sweaty. We tend to keep him on the cool side and that helps. Also cotton clothes and nothing rough on his skin (all his jeans are cotton lined for example).

The back of Connie's legs have eczma and the doc told us not to bathe everyday. I usd the cream he gave us and it cleared up but we carried on bathing evryday as she gets sweaty as she's always wriggling and very energetic. Her skin startd to get dry on her arms and back so we cut the baths down to every other day but the eczma on the back of her legs came back which I think was down to her getting sweaty again so back to everyday baths and it's cleared up again. I think it may have been heat rash she has.

I would just go by trial and error, keep a note and see how it goes tbh as all babies are different.

all mixed veiws lol i will ask health visitor too.. his ecema gets worse first thing in morning and when hes been crying badly.. so when he gets warm it seems to look bad.

leland has excema head to toe , and we were told to bath everynight in oilatum for 20 mins !!! but this is now part of his routine , and tbh he loves bath time , he has to be creamed 4 times a day at the mo tho :(

Logan has really bad eczema, it's ll over his tummy and bottom at the moment. I usually only bath him 1 or 2 times a week as even when using oilatum and smoothering him in diprobase afterwards it still dries his skin out.
He has steroid cream for when it's really bad too.

Sam has mild ezcema, we started using oilatum as prescribed by the Dr, but that seemed to make him scratch more after a while, so we switched to Aveeno, which you can buy from Boots and his skin has cleared up lovely. We use the bath wash and then the cream. We bath him every night.

L x

Aimee developed very dry broken skin about 1 month old. My HV recommended I take her to the doctor, he said it was mild eczema and prescribed a hydrocortisone cream, which nipped her skin and resulted in her crying for 10 minutes after each application. He also gave us a big tub of Epaderm ointment to put on 5 times a day. It softened up her skin a lot. The next time I saw the HV visitor she recommended bathing Aimee every second night and putting the Epaderm in the bath water. It helped a lot.

Jacob has bad eczema too :( We bath him every other night with Aveeno oil then cover him in Doublebase gel. We used the gel everyday morning and night and he also has Hydrocortisone cream for when it's bad!

We have tried loads of creams and oil in the bath, it's a nightmare! Don't you think the Epaderm is awful?! So greasy, it's like covering him in lard :? Makes his really slippy when he's wet too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back