Elective C Section

Cherry.Glitter

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was meant to post my 'moving over' thread here last week but life got in the way really. I don't want to go too much into it really as I would not want to be the one responsible for giving you wonderful ladies the nightmares I am currently having....

Moving on, as a result of this my partner and I are leaning massively towards an elective ceasarian section when my due date nears. I have tried to research this but am not really finding the information that I'm looking for. My questions are - is there anyone on this forum who is having an elective for reasons that are NOT medical? I am not looking to pry into your business, I just want to know how you went about asking for one and how difficult it was to obtain. I'm not really sure what my "rights" are with this and if I have any at all as I know that sections are meant to be for women and babies who need them in emergency or other medical-related situations.

Thanks girls xx

I don't know for sure, but I'm don't think you can one without medical reasons, unless you pay privately. Sorry for anything you've been going through hun :hugs: x x

Hi again, I dont know much about this but NICE wrote some new guidlines about elective sections last year. I think you can discuss it with your MW/GP and that they have to refer you to speak to someone about it, how far you get after this process is unclear however and I suspect that you might have a tough job convincing them unless you can demonstrate that the reasons deterimentally outweigh the risks of surgery.

Sorry you've been have a rough time and welcome to Tri3 xx

I was told that the 2 hospitals in my area wouldnt perform this unless medical reasons as its major surgery and they may do it elctively if i went private. Needless to say i didnt go no further with this.
Hope you get the answers you want xxx

I'm having one and not for medical reasons, down on my form as maternal choice. I'm off to bed tonight but if you pm me your email address I will send you all the research I done. Xxxx

Whilst this is totally your choice, I personally wouldn't choose to have a section following my experience with a emergency section. There's a lot more risk with a section, recovery is longer and I needed a blood transfusion after losing 2 litres of blood.

If you can try to give birth naturally I recommend you try Hun. You might feel different after about your choice and it can mean that with any future pregnancies you might not get the option of a natural birth.

I know most places won't entertain the idea of an elective for a first baby (is this your first! I can't see tickers sorry) as the risks greatly outweigh the benefits unless theres something wrong.

Best thing to do is request an appointment with a consultant at your hospital and they can talk you through your reasons and help you choose if it is an option x

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Katie_lou - I have PMed you

Thanks girls. I will speak to my midwife - she will be able to give me the pros and cons of each direction I guess.

Thanks Froslass - it's nice to have an insight from someone who has experienced a section, that is much appreciated :) truth is, since this incident I am truly terrified of going into labour. Hopefully my midwife will be able to get rid of my irrational fears with facts

I do think once you go into labour you can be very focused and you'll just want bay here safely :)

I hope you're okay though after your experience and your midwife can help you out x :hug:

I would say to ANYONE, if you can try a vaginal delivery, please please give it a go. I have also suffered a hideous c section, long recovery and everything that goes with it. But more than that, I am now fighting my consultant! Because I want a vbac they are saying I can't do it in a birth centre, I can't have a water birth, I have to have continuous monitoring and not be mobile for my delivery - all because I was subjected to a section last time!!! I will not birth this way and am putting my foot down.
My one regret is that I had to have a section (not through choice).
The scar is horrid and a constant reminder of the ordeal, it was awful.

If its an anxiety thing, I urge you to look at hypnobirthing, using calming oils and water - all of these things are proven to aid anxiety in labour.

Don't find yourself in my position, it's awful.

I've had 3 vaginal deliveries and one section so I can make a good comparison about pain, recovery time and overall experience, I'd take vaginal any day of the week, plus it's so much safer! x

I do think once you go into labour you can be very focused and you'll just want bay here safely :)

I hope you're okay though after your experience and your midwife can help you out x :hug:

Hey Hun ,

I've messages u bk

X

Hi all,

I was meant to post my 'moving over' thread here last week but life got in the way really. I don't want to go too much into it really as I would not want to be the one responsible for giving you wonderful ladies the nightmares I am currently having....

Moving on, as a result of this my partner and I are leaning massively towards an elective ceasarian section when my due date nears. I have tried to research this but am not really finding the information that I'm looking for. My questions are - is there anyone on this forum who is having an elective for reasons that are NOT medical? I am not looking to pry into your business, I just want to know how you went about asking for one and how difficult it was to obtain. I'm not really sure what my "rights" are with this and if I have any at all as I know that sections are meant to be for women and babies who need them in emergency or other medical-related situations.

Thanks girls xx

I had an elective c section due to mental issues (so not really medical). I had an emergency section with my son and the experience (I won't go into detail as I wounldn't want to scare anyone) wasn't great and I ended up suffering from anxiety. So when I was pregnant with my daughter I expressed my concerns. I was fobbed off and told that when I went into labour if I wasn't progressing as I should I would have a section. Towards the end of my pregnancy the anxiety got worse (I was under consultant care due to previous section) I spoke to the midwife at the hospital and I was told I had to plead my case.

I had to write a letter to explain why I felt the way I did, what had happened and how it would affect me if I went into labour naturally. The doctors had a meeting to discuss my case but came to the same conclusion as before and 'see how I go' in natural labour. When the I next saw my consultant I sobbed my heart out and he finally saw how bad my anxiety was and booked my section for 2 weeks time. I was 39 weeks when I had the section and ironically I went into natural labour the morning of my section!! I was in labour for 8 hours before the hospital decided to go ahead with the section.

I'm not normally in this section but saw your question I thought I might be able to help. Hope your ok.

I found the whole situation very stressful, apparently in other hospitals in the uk once you have had one section you have the option to give birth naturally or have a section, my hospital didn't give me a choice.

I'm not saying that a section is better than a natural birth but I did what was best for me.

Feel free to pm me xx

Hey hun, do you mind me asking why you would like a section? I have struggled to decide after an awful labour and emergency c section with my son. Im now 38 weeks and very very nervous about the birth and more than anything extremely anxious about the safe arrival of my baby. I have decided to do a "trial of labour" but at a different hospital to the awful one last time. I hope you're ok hunnie, I know how stressful these decisions are! Xxx

From previous experience I would personally stay away from c section if you can! Mine was an emergency section and it hadn't even crossed my mind before that I might end up having one. I still feel robbed of a natural birth experience and it was heartbreaking watching all the other mums be able to pick their babies up and me not even be able to get out of bed and walk to the toilet without struggling let alone hold a baby!

Its a tricky subject which people have strong opinions on. I personally feel you will know yourself what you want and every pregnant lady in the UK has the right to what birth they want regardless of the area they live in or hospital policies. If it is something you want (and I mean both c section and natural birth) then it is something that will be discussed with your care providers. You have the right to request another consultant or midwife if you feel you are not being supported. I count myself as being so lucky to have a great Maternity Hospital and really supportive help from both the Midwives and the Consultant. My family are also being fantastic and have helped me to reach the right decision for me and my baby girl.

For me personally, an elective is what I want and what I feel is best - for me. Everyone is different and everyone has an opinion. But in the end you should trust your judgement and lean on others who are all offering good advice on here.

Wishing you lots of luck in this hard decision - its not an easy one to make -trust me, I know.
xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back