Emergancy budget..anyone watching?

AugustMum

Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone was watching this. Ive got it on in the background and just listening for things that interest me.

Theyre getting rid of the Health in Pregnancy grant all together from april! And now only giving the Sure Start Grant to the first child.

Theyre also freezing child benefit for the next 3 years. And theyre restricting how much money is being spent on Housing benefit.

Urgh. I wasn't looking forward to the budget. Still listening to see what else they change.

Anyone heard anything else???

Why only the first child!? I'd struggle even worse without it this time!!

:shock:

The goverment really are making it harder to have children! I didn't get the hip grant when pregnant with lace but with this pregnancy I've relised I need it! It does help alot!! If they cut child benefit too that's at least £80 a month we're be down on!! I don't get housing benefit so that doesn't apply to me but know loads of people who have it!!

I have no idea. I know loads of people on their second child and they wouldn't knoww hat to do without it! Theyve just risen VAT from 17.5% to 20% as well. For goodness sake.

Stupid goverment :wall2: I didnt qualify for the HIP grant whilst pregnant with Jacob but I'm so grateful for it this time!

Omg!!!! What the hell are they doing to us! They all want us to be live like tramps do they?!

I'm gobsmacked at the freezing of child benefits and i'm even more gobsmacked at the rise of VAT! I can barely afford to friggin live as it is!

That HIP grant - Is that the £190 everyone gets? They're stopping that next year?

yeah they are stopping the non means tested H.P.I grant and only giving the surestart grant to those having their first child

they are removing tax credits for anyone earning more than 40k and are removing the baby element

they are capping housing benefit at 400 a week for a 4 bedroom property - they are also raising VAT by 20%

That's ok then! I always put money in laceys and will be doing it too little mans too!

i cant even bring myself to comment on this as it will only lead to a major rant!

I've not got the energy to argue :(

Yep they are scrapping Child Trust Fund!

Off the website:

Parents currently receive a £250 voucher from the Government to start a Child Trust Fund account for their child. If the child is from a lower income family the Government then pays an additional £250 into the account. Under the proposals the voucher and additional payment will, for children born between August and December 2010, each have a value of £50. Children born from January 2011 onwards will not qualify for a Child Trust Fund account.

Last edited:
So if we are due to have our sprogs before the end of the financial year (april i think) then we still qualify for the child trust fund and the health in pregnancy grant? Just checking what position we will end up in.... I'm due mine on the 4th of december so i'm hoping I can squeeze some of the things that they are scrapping in before they go. At least they arn't getting rid of child benefit, even if it is frozen. Better than nothing.

xx

Yeah your still entitled to the HIP grant up until april, so your fine with that, but with the child trust fund, you'll only get £50 instead of the £250. They start lowering the trust fund from the 1st August I believe.

This is disgusting, will the government ever get it right?! How can they take money away from people who need it and then raise the costs of everything theyll be needing to buy.. its pathetic, it gets me really mad, dont they know they shouldnt anger pregnant women!

I think I must be lucky as this budget is actually very good for me. It means my business pays less tax and it's cheaper for me to employ people. Obviously the VAT rise will affect me, but the child tax credits will still apply to me, I've already had my HIP grant. I don't receive housing benefit and don't have anything I would have to pay capital gains tax on. What does worry me though is the 25% cut in public spending across the board (except NHS) but from what I can gather we won't know what's being cut until October.

Lol, lets all march on number 10! Hormones raging, it'll be brilliant.

xD

xxx

Brilliant idea ShadowWolf, Im up for it!!x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER