Epidural

*Hope*

Reaction score
I know I am only just over 8 weeks but i have been talking about the birth already and i reeeeally fancy a painless birth lol. im terrible with pain and i love the idea of enjoying giving birth not screaming and crying.

Just wondered if anyone has any experience of epidurals? Good or bad :)

Haven't any experience but didn't want to read and run :)

My friends recently had an epidural but she was in labour that long it wore off, she asked for anouther one but she was too far gone :eek: so ended up doing it with out. haha bless her.

Personally i have the same veiw as you hun iv opted for gas and air and the epidural....:)

xx

My 1st child i had an epidural and my second child i only had a small amount of gas and air. This is my 3rd pregnancy and i plan on delivering with just gas and air again as it was a much more pleasant experience.

With the epi, you are hooked up to monitors constantly so you can't move about, it made me shake and vomit violently. It slowed my labour down so had to have a drip to speed things up then because i could feel nothing, i ended up with an epesiotomy to deliver. The natural way does hurt, i admit it, but it was a wonderful experience with no interventions, quick, and i felt such an amazing bond with my child knowing i worked hard for him. I was up and about moments after labour and i felt great!

That is just my experience tho, everyone's is different. Its entirely up to you which method of pain relief to choose xx

I had an epidural as after 7 hours on gas and air it just made me throw up every time I inhaled it. The epidural was lovely except it stopped working about 3-4 times even with the top ups for quite long periods. So in the end it had almost worn off fully by the time he was born. But while it worked it was brilliant and gave me a nice break so I could rest. My labour lasted 23 hours.

ive never had an epidural but my sister has had one but she also had a natural birth, as her baby came so quick i ended up delivering him on her living room carpet lol, but anyway she said she wishes she never had the epidural the first time as the natural birth was a lot better xxxxx

I had an epidural but wouldnt again, I was stuck on the bed on my back. It also falied twice and then after that they wouldnt top it up so I could only have gas and air until I was whisked off to theatre. It was not nice going from pain free to feeling MASSIVE contractions. I think I want to have a natural birth this time, to be honest I think your body deals with the pain as it builds up, I rememeber not making a noise when I had the huge contractions - I was just so focused on getting through them. The midwife commented on how quiet I was! I think you have to have one to not want one if that makes sense!

I'm abit mad, I wanted the pain :lol:

I wanted the pain the first time with Sam, even though my labour was 49 hours... with Toby I had an epidural towards the end - mainly because I had such bad sciatica that I couldn't even move between contractions so couldn't turn on my side or move up the bed - and it was absolute heaven :rofl: It was a Saturday morning though so there was no anaesthetist available until one came out of surgery, and the first time he did it it didn't work at all... and he'd gone back into surgery so I had to wait a while for him to come out again - but the second time he did it it was fantastic! I could still feel to push, and I was actually smiling for the rest of my labour!

I had one with my first and although they do work a treat I wished I hadnt. I felt it made for a much longer labour than necessary as I wasn't able to be mobile. I was adamant that I wouldnt have one with my second and I had a quicker birth and could keep mobile, use the pool and give birth on a stool so gravity helped. I found the second birth to be a breeze in comparison :)

I think if I'd had the option to stay mobile I wouldn't have this time either... but I just couldn't even sit up let alone get out of bed. My labour was much faster this time but I do think the epidural slowed it down towards the end. I was induced though so the contractions were very close and very long and painful from the start!

i had spinal blocks after having both my two cos i tore so bad and i really didnt like them! just the feeling of not being able to move and all that kinda business, just really didnt suit me!! i like to be in control tho :lol:

Hey, I was the same as you, I deceided early on I had no interest in being in excruiciating pain, thought that wouldn't do me or the baby any use whatsoever!
I arrived at the hospital at 2am, was told I was already 7 cms somehow having not taken anything, and requested my epidural immediately.
Personally, it was excellent for me. I then sat on the bed, eating sweets, chatting to my widwife, and reading my book until 7am, not one hint of pain, and then at 7.30am my son was born, with about 10 pushes, not painful, just slightly uncomfy. Up the corridors, I could hear these poor women screaming and mooing and it terrified me.

I just couldn't understand why anyone would want to put themselves through that! I don't try and tackle broken arms and chest infections without medical help, its 2010, I want the best pain relief available!

I absolutely will be having another one this time, and rather looking forward to it.

The only thing that I suppose is a bit scary is that I couldn't feel my legs, so obviously you can't walk around. Was exactly planning a stroll around though, so didn't bother me!

I just felt I had made the decision well before getting to hospital, probably pretty early in my pregnancy, and would hate to have been one of those women who tried to do it on their won, then asked for one cause they were n so much pain, but were too far along or something. In my prenatal class, out of 25 women, I was the only one who said I wanted one. I bet some of those women ended up having to have them cause gas and air wasn't enough.

After 15 hours of labour I had an epidural with DD and I'm pleased I did. I loved the whole labour and birth experience. I had planned a natural home water birth but DD was overdue and got stuck (weighed 10lb 9). I say just go with it. Don't say yes or no to anything before hand just see how you cope and take what you need. If labour is only 5/6 hours this time I may go without an epidural as it was hard breastfeeding in the night at hospital and not being able to pick baby up as couldnt move but just go with the flow

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Currish
Back