Exercising...horseriding?

KJL

Reaction score
Just wondered what people's views or experiences are with horseriding in pregnancy. I am 5 weeks pregnant and my husband isn't very happy with me riding. However I have a horse (who is very sensible) who I have had for 10 yrs (i've been riding for 20yrs) and I compete dressage with. I am an experienced rider and I have said to my husband that I intend to ride up to 3-4 months but will lay off it after that. I would not ride my horse if I felt he was particularly dangerous, and I will stop showjumping and eventing until after the baby is born, but I do want to continue with dressage training and some competing. It is very hard for me to consider stopping all together as I have been riding daily for most of my life. Of course I will be sensible and not put myself in any obvious risk and if I feel tired or unwell in anyway I would take it easy.

Does anyone have any views or experiences?

its up to you.

its your body/baby and you know the risks.

i wouldn't go horse rising whilst preggas. but im not a rider usually anyway so its different for you.
I suppose its only like the usual preggo woman getting behind the wheel. :think:

no idea what to say.

what are your thoughts? what are the risks of the horse bolting and throwing you off?

I ride too, but I don't think I'd want to risk it. I've fallen off so very few times, but it'd be just my luck for it to happen now. I also think, I'm super duper careful about what I eat and drink, brie, caffeine, taking my supplements etc, that this could have more of an effect than eating something I shouldn't. Ultimately it's totally your decision, and I'm sure you'll be fine, but I'm a just a worrier. Sorry, that's no help is it? :)

budge said:
what are your thoughts? what are the risks of the horse bolting and throwing you off?

well there is very low risk that he'd throw me off, he's 15 now and i've owned him for 10yrs. I'm happy to stop showjumping and cantering etc on hacks as I have a friend who can do that. When I school him he's never been anything but as good as gold and is a complete saint to compete. I am planning to continue schooling him. He's never bolted or thrown me while schooling and I guess there is about the same risk as when I get behind the wheel of my car.

I know woman who have ridden until they popped but I intend to stop in my 3/4 month. I have spoken to a dr friend who said that up to 3/4th month the baby is still very protected by the pelvis so the actual motion of riding wouldn't harm me/baby in any way.

i thik if you feel ok to do it then do it. you know your horse and trust him -
no one else can tell you what to do or don't do. t up to you.

NickyB said:
I ride too, but I don't think I'd want to risk it. I've fallen off so very few times, but it'd be just my luck for it to happen now. I also think, I'm super duper careful about what I eat and drink, brie, caffeine, taking my supplements etc, that this could have more of an effect than eating something I shouldn't. Ultimately it's totally your decision, and I'm sure you'll be fine, but I'm a just a worrier. Sorry, that's no help is it? :)

No you're right, of course there will be a risk in any sport such as horse riding but I think I would consider stopping if Louis (my horse) was particularly naughty or difficult but he's a saint to school. He's a little more lively to jump and event but I definately won't be doing that until the baby has arrived.

Like Budge said she's your horse and you know her and what she's likely to do or not do but something could scare her when your riding and she might not mean to do it but she could accidently throw you off or you could just fall off. Even though you sound really experianced in horse riding and you obviously know what your doing when it comes to horses especially your own but accidents do happen.
I was a dancer before I fell pregnant but as soon as I found out I was expecting I gave it up straight away. I was absolutly gutted about it! We had been rehershing for months for this big show we were doing and I had to drop out of it 2 weeks before the show. I cried and cried and cried but at the end of the day I could have slipped over or caused some kind of injury to my stomach and my baby is worth alot more then a few months of dancing. I can carry on dancing when I've had the baby and your horse will still be there.
You really must enjoy horse riding but is it really worth risking your baby for? Its only for a few months and you can still walk your horse or whatever you do when you dont ride them lol sorry dont know much about horses :rotfl:

Hi all

I am mad about horses to busy to have my own so i had a horse share! At 6 weeks pregnant i fell off :shock: I havnt fallen off in 20 years !
I had to give him up it was very sad :( I could not risk it again! also didnt know i was pregnant !
It really depends on the horse that you are riding, i think, but remember that even if you think you are the best rider accidents do happen !

During pregnancy your centre of balance changes and hormones cause your joints to relax. I really do think it effects your concentration which is what happened to me ! luckly my baby is ok :D

Hello Hun! Horsey talk on the preg forum well i had post on that!!!

I have been riding for 13 years and have a daughter Isla who is nearly 15 months. I only rode once while i was pregnant. This was my choice and i am not saying the right /wrong one but here are my reasons why...

I was TTC for 2 years and if (if) something had happened i would never forgive my self.

During pregnancy your body changes in tone and your cartilage and joints loosen in preparation, i found it uncomfortable in any case. Also your balance goes and a 16.3hh'er is a long way to fall!!! He was Sports horse so lively too. Plus how the hell would i get on?????

My horse at the time although very good to handle was a bit of a live wire at only 6 and strong too.

If you have a horse for 30 years which has never bolted it doesnt mean it never will its just statistically less likely. If you did fall off / get trampled and lost your baby would you begrudge the horse? i know i would even if i didnt want to. Would that one ride have been worth the sacrifice of loosing my baby, no.

The one ride that i did do was at a dressage event when i was 5 months PG i couldnt get out of it and rode. I counted the seconds till it finished, i was lucky that with my jacket on noone could see i was pg, but wonder what they would have said if they had known. As it was the horse did the worst elementary test of his life , ha ha serves me right!!!

You need to decide based on your gut feeling and the fact you cant wear a back protector with a bump.!!!!!!!! Bear in mind also the risk of being kicked in the stomach, i started leading my big chap in a bridle to the field.

Here he is big boy......

http://www.petercox-photography.co.uk/i ... U_3290.htm

If you do ride perhaps you could just school with someone watching incase you fall off. Boring i know but hey at the end of it you'll have a perfectly schooled horse!!! :rotfl: I know people who have rode all the way through to birth but oooowwww your bits will swell up enough as it is!!

After the birth this link might be helpful if you want to event or showjump again :oops: :shhh:
http://www.tenadirect.co.uk/ :rotfl: :rotfl:

Good luck with whatever you decide!

mmmm...a lot of food for thought :? I think I will have a chat with me Dr today and see what she says. It's hard because I'm around horses and woman who ride all day and most of them have a "get on with it" attitude even though they have kids etc. I guess it's a decision I'll have to make myself. I'll have to take up some other form of ex though while I'm pregnant or I'm going to balloon out :(

Any suggestions of good forms of exercise for keeping fit while pregnant? I have already thought about yoga (which I do already) but wondered what cardio-vascular ex is ok while pregnant.

I think it's not so much the danger of falling (although that is obviously importnat to think about), but spreading you legs so wide in that kind of position isn't recommended during pregnancy.

It can cause your pelvis to open more than it should do and could bring on early labour. The relaxin that is produced when you are pregnant means your joints are much more loose than they would otherwise be.

I swim regularly but avoid breaststroke for that reason. I know if you swim it properly the kick shouldn't be wide at all, but I've tried it and it's just uncomfortable.

K.xx

kellysomer said:
Hello Hun! Horsey talk on the preg forum well i had post on that!!!

Hiya, firstly your horse is lovely, what a stunning chap :D Thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate the advise from another experienced rider.

Here is a picture of my little orange man:

loopylou.jpg

It is a hard predicament when riding is so part of your life and I am used to competing every weekend...but of course my health etc is more important. I have a competition this weekend (we're part qualified for the elementary regionals and I wanted to fully qualify him before the summer deadline) so I think this will be me last comp until the baby is born :(

I have a great trainer at my yard who can ride him while I am preggers. I have been working him towards his debut into Medium next month but I have a trainer friend who I would trust to compete him and I guess I would be happy to observe from the ground.

He has never thrown me, but of course you are right that horses can be unpredictable even if they have been well behaved for the past 10 yrs. I think I will continue with some very gently schooling i.e. some lateral work etc this week until the comp and then reconsider after that.

Riding is going to be one of the hardest things for me to give up :(

I have the exact same problem as you

...i have a very sensible gent 13yrs who is what i consider bomb proof...i only go hacking on him nowadays as time is an issue and the kiddies want to ride their ponies (still on lead reign). My partner is against me riding even though i know i will be ok.

So i have to respect that this is his child too and need to take his view into consideration.

Also during my last pregnancy I suffered from synthesis pubis pain (they said it can be caused by years of riding and gymnastics as women who do these kinds of sports are more likely to get it) It is agony and i don't want to risk getting it again....but am just itching to ride whislt i can...i think of sneaking off but if something were to happen i think i'd never forgive my self. :roll:
what to do ????
I imagine you'd be ok but clear it with your hubby first.

I can't believe how many negative responses you've got to your post!!!

Obviously you should do exactly what you feel is right for you but I can't see any reason why if you are an experienced rider and clearly very sensible about it why you should give up. One of my freinds rode until the 3rd trimester so your plans to carry on until 3-4 months seems very reasonable.

Just beacuse we are pregnant doesn't mean we should be wrapped up in cotton wool!!! Anyone could be run over by a bus on the street tomorrow - it doesn't mean we should all stay at home just in case!

So many strong and inspirational women do amazing things while they are pregnant and I think that that can only be a good thing. It's not like you're a heavy drinker or smoker putting your baby at risk. If it makes you happy (and keeps you fit and healthy) surely that can only be good for the foetus!!!

Keep riding!!!

I agree with SalC in many ways,but i was not being negative at all and even started off my post with 'this is my opinion and not the right or wrong answer'......

Each individual is different as is thier riding ability, it is pretty obvious from the photo of KJL that she is a super rider with a super (and very sexy, i love him) horse. Dressage horses are usually trained to a high level and are responsive and i would think safer than average, my only concern was that horses in general are very unpredictable. KJL will need to see how she feels on board.

My previous experiences of PG are such that i would say work without stirrups would be best avoided due to the widening of the hips. Sensible non strenuous exercise is good in pregnancy obviously.

KJL's horse looks like it has big paces and so may be uncomfortable as the baby gets bigger.

On the plus side my doctor certainly never advised me not to ride in early pregnancy, infact she was quite suprised i didnt want to. The first four months of pregnancy the baby sits down in the pelvis but later on they are more in front, meaning in sitting trot those big baby boobs and belly are going to hurt.

KJL you are not 'giving up' riding, you are mearly taking a horsey career break. Is there any possibility of getting a sharer for the duration, you are going to be pretty busy after your baby comes? Where abouts are you, im in the new forest (fantastic hacking)?

On a weird note the first time i rode after having isla (12 days after with a very squishy heather moffatt seat saver for my bits, LOL) my uterus and insides obviously had not recovered and when i trotted i could hear a squelching noise just like when you jump up and down after drinking loads of water!! It stopped after a couple of months but i certainly dont have the same seat i used to it's like i cant open my hips and i have terrible trouble wrapping my legs round a naughty 15.2 PBA who likes to piaffe on the spot.

See how it goes and maybe at the end of the 9 months your boy will have an amazing walk and trot if having done nothing else (think of the slow work as suppling and toning him!!)

Shame he's not a mare you could have both had babies!! Ever want to chat just pm me...

Thank you all for your responses. It has been nice to get some positive responses too.

kellysomer thanks for your response, it's been very useful to hear from another, obviously experienced, rider. Thanx for the complements on the horse, he's such a super little horse and so honest :D I love him to bits! He is very quiet and sensible to ride. I went up to the yard tonight and just did some gentle schooling, some lateral work and walk pirrouttes and just a little trotting and took breaks when I felt hot or tired. I was supposed to compete this weekend but after chatting with my hubby, he has said he really isn't comfortable with this, so I have spoken to an experienced friend who ex Louis once a wk and she is happy to compete him (actually very excited!) whilst i'm preggers.

I'm quite lucky as this friend is happy to ride Louis whilst I'm pregnant and I have an onsite trainer (the Yard Owner) who is a fabulous rider and he can continue with Louis' training routine.

I've def decided to stop riding after 3 months as my hubby is just not happy with me riding after this time and I think I need to compromise as it's his baby too.

I SO wish Louis was a mare as I would LOVE to have a little Louis clone :D
He really is a super little horse...one in a million!

I'm based in Hertfordshire (Radlett)...I am SO jealous though as the New Forest is SO fantastic for hacking. I've been there for a holiday with my hubby and I loved all those wild ponies.

I so hope my hips/core muscles don't deteriorate too much when I'm pregnant. I hope to be back in the saddle competing minutes after I give birth :lol:

Sal C said:
I can't believe how many negative responses you've got to your post!!!

Obviously you should do exactly what you feel is right for you but I can't see any reason why if you are an experienced rider and clearly very sensible about it why you should give up. One of my freinds rode until the 3rd trimester so your plans to carry on until 3-4 months seems very reasonable.

Just beacuse we are pregnant doesn't mean we should be wrapped up in cotton wool!!! Anyone could be run over by a bus on the street tomorrow - it doesn't mean we should all stay at home just in case.

Thanks Sal C, that's exactly how I feel. Thanks for the positive vibes :)

Hi - I am a horse rider, but not a horse owner :(

When I was pregnant with my daughter, I was helping out a good friend with her new horse, jumping him and schooling him.

This was a totally different situation as he was not safe in any way and I remember getting on him after he had bucked her off 3 times - she was a lot shorter than me so I couldn't use her stirrups and was cantering him in circles pushing him through his bucks stirrupless :oops:

I did some very silly things - HOWEVER, as much as I did everything possible to look after my unborn baby, I was very secure in my riding abilities and decided that I would continue what I was doing.

I think you have the right idea - stick to the sedate things and leave the eventing to someone else.

Good luck to you hun - I am very, very jealous!!
xx

I would ride if you trust your horse with your life and your babys.I wouldnt hack out as different situationa can arise and as well as you know your horse you can predict how they will react.
So stic to riding in your own school or field.Dont go out alone if you really are that desperate to hack out and always take your mobile

Hello there!!

I've been a lurker here for a little while now....mainly looking for advice on how to live with morning sickness :cry: I'm 12 weeks and this is my 2nd (I have a son Harry almost 2!). Definitely the worst thing about pregnancy though isn't it? Get's me quite down :(

Anyway, I've got 2 horses of my own. A big Irish mare and a cheeky Highland x gelding. I don't spare a second thought about tacking up and going out riding. My horses keep me sane, and they help me to relax. I'm lucky as I live on a farm and keep them at home. I actually haven't ridden much at all for the last 3 months or so because the sickness has been so terrible as well as this vile weather! They've both become rather fat, but once the nausia settles I'll definitely go out again and am looking forward to it. When I was pregnant with Harry I rode up until about 6 months and stopped because I just got so uncomfortable. I'll carry on until I'm too fat to ride. Both of mine were happy to be turned away....you do get that longing feeling though when you're the size of a sea cow and you see people jumping away and hacking about :D

Anyway I guess it's up to you. I know most people are saying it's a risk. Hell, so is getting in the car and driving along the road. You could trip as you're walking down the street or fall down the stairs!! You need to be your own judge on these things. Pregnancy is a long process....there's always advice on what you should and shouldn't eat or do, but you have to make up your own mind! I'm sure your horse won't mind being ridden by someone else for a while or even turned away, but if you want to just ride and enjoy yourself carry on! I suppose if you're questioning it then you're unsure, but if it's your first baby then you're bound to be cautious.

Personally, as long as you're not flinging yourself around a 3 ft 6 course of xc or off out hunting all day long then you'll be fine. Nice time to take it easy! Your horse will look after you, they're sensative creatures :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back