Feeding options

Lilelephant

Reaction score
So am starting to think about how I want to feed Orlando.

I alway thought I would bottle feed but recently I have been considering breast feeding. The only thong for me is that I am worried it would tie me down ESP as I have to go back to work when he is 4 months old.
Also I want OH to be able to feed him. So I was thinking of breastfeeding in the day to start and expressing for night feeds so OH can share it and the changing him to formula when he is a couple of months old for when i go back to work. obv as I have no experience of feeding I don't know if this is a do able plan!!

That's what my friend did and she said it worked for her but took her a while to stop breasts filling up etc and had to do a bit of expressing for a while once she had started her on formula or something like that. I'm seeing her at wknd so il ask for more info x

You need to be careful about introducing a bottle too early when you still want to breastfeed due to nipple confusion. Is say give it a go and see how it works for you, you may find your able to express for when you go back to work or you may find it doesn't work for you and switch to bottles.

I would try to do both BF and Expressed BF from bottle quite early on to be honest, I know loads of ladies on here, including myself who left it later and couldn't get baby to take a bottle at all, and it keeps your options open then, and boob is a good thing - good plan

Devon will only take boob or beaker !

Last edited:
That's exactly what I did with my first. And it worked a treat! never had any issues with nipple confusion, and he had the benefit of both breast milk and formula. Planning on doing the same with this one :)

Im going to formula feed, i had too much trouble with my first two so just bottle fed riley and it worked out fine.

Do whats right for you at the end of the day.

Your work have to provide you with an appropriate place to express on your return too!

i am gonna breastfeed and express but dont have to rush back to work i just want hubby to be able to feed sometimes too

Have a look into the virgin gut, babies are designed to only have breastmilk for as long as possible, its the best protection for their stomach and therefore protects them in the future against allergies etc.

the longer you can exclusively offer breastmilk, the best start you are giving your baby because as soon as you introduce a foreign body (in this case, formula which is a mixture of cows milk and wheat and whey powder) you are upsetting that balance inside the sensitive lining of the babies gut.

the best way i have had it described is that because we have such big heads, we actually have our babies at quite an early gestation compared to other mammals (who can walk and such like a few hours after birth) we are more like kangaroos, we have our young and then we grow them on the outside just as much as they have been grown on the inside :)

so its best to offer exclusive breast milk for as long as possible (even if its only a couple of months, but really three months should be the absolute minimum) rather than introducing foreign bodies.

get yourself a really good breast pump, the only ones i rate are the Ameda lactaline or the Medula In Style. they are expensive but for good reason. if you cannot afford that, go to your local sure-start center and borrow one for a while. they will understand :)

Once you are beginning to mix feed, you will be able to pump somewhat for the baby, it is law that the work place offers you somewhere personal, private and comfortable for you to pump milk along with a fridge to keep the milk. This has to be on their time NOT your lunch break etc.

Boobs change MASSIVELY after about six weeks, the first six weeks are there to promote milk production and for the baby to tell the mummy how much and how often they wish to feed, night feedings are essencial to this because the hormones are different at night. If you want to pump and feed maybe think of doing a feed for the hubby to give in the early morning? That way you wont be missing out on that fantastic milk production time and also getting that coveted bit of extra sleep.

after six weeks the breasts mature and begin to make milk on a more 'in need' basis. so actually we need to feed for as much as we possibly can for that first six weeks (NO feeding, NO Expressed milk - though you can start to store it) so that the baby and the mummy can teach each other.

Breastfeeding also creates hormones which allow our bodies to deal with less sleep more effectively, so dont be scared about getting a little bit less sleep than your used too. Also if you have the baby in the bedroom with you (reccomended by both the NHS and the WHO, you will find it is much, much easier to pick up baby and put it on the boob than it is for your husband to go down stairs, waking baby massively, making a bottle, cooling it (or warming expressed breast milk) and then trying to get baby (who by now is very awake) back to sleep.

Last edited:
Sorry to be a nag, there is a great article on KellyMom about how to store breast milk correctly

http://www.motherandchildhealth.com/Breastfeeding/Becky/storage_breastmilk.html

also Kellymom has loads of good info about virgin gut and what not.

did you know if your baby gets an infection, the glands in its mouth will work with the glands in your nipples and your body will create the antibodies needed to protect baby from those infections? Fascinating :)

Same thoughts for me, have always wanted to breastfeed but really like the idea of DH feeding baby too so will express and try and introduce a bottle after so many weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's another case of what suits one doesn't suit another - so do whatever suits you, your baby and OH hunny!!!

I'm unable to BF after a major operation on my breasts several years ago removed all my milk glands etc so I have no option but to go with formula, but people do still like to make you feel inadequate/lazy/stupid for not BF!!

I hope no one makes you feel inadequate for not being able to feed Cazza, its just that breastfeeding is the normal for a baby and formula, while Sufficient, is not quite the same.

At the end of the day, as long as you are feeding your baby (however you do it) then thats brilliant :) But if someone is talking (as the original poster on this thread was) about mixed feeding rather than exclusively breastfeeding right from the beginning, its important to know the facts and the science behind it all. To make the right choice for your baby (which is very different to not having a choice)

Just because you cannot breastfeed, should not mean you are unaware of the benefits of breastfeeding, we should all know those things really, regardless of what our personal circumstances are x

The only thing I am worried about is my Sis and were both very poorly as babies and they found out it was cos we were allergic to mums milk

actually studies have shown the mothers diet can make a big difference, so if you cut out lactose from your diet, your lactose intollerant child will be able to have your milk :)

If jasper had been lactose intollerant i reckon i would have moved on to formula sooner, but that is the excpetion, not the rule. we should all give it a go if we can because its 90% of the time what is best for the baby :)

Really if allergies run in the family and you find you are able to breastfeed, you really should because the virgin gut is the very best defence against allergies and intollerances in later life.

it gives the baby time to get used to external things without being fed them from such an early age, it also means the stomach isnt stretched early on which can cause problems to a sensitive stomach x

I have a breastfeeding session as part of my antenatal course so maybe I will ask then!

Kellymom is also a fantastic source of information, if i can help at all then please feel free to ask, i dealt with tongue-tie, colic, not being able to feed for 4 days and then pumping, nipple shields and all sorts of stuff so I have had quite an interesting journey with breastfeeding! I also have a best friend who is allergic to EVERYTHING (yes, really) and i still feed my 1 year old (sporadically)

so any help i can give please just ask xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back