For those with children in nursery...

jennifer1981

Reaction score
Just a few questions if you have a min :shock:

My LO is quite a difficult child to look after (not for me but for others). I mean, in that he is really quite fussy. e.g. he will only go to sleep a certain way (im going to post another thread for help/advice regarding this) he needs to be rocked in his seat and that is the only way he will go to sleep. We have tried everything. Im not after advice for that here but im just wondering, if i put him in nursery how do they get children of his age asleep and where do they sleep? Are they tolerant of fussy babies and their 'ways' or will they just do it 'their' way and let them cry about it until the baby gives in?

Also, do they stick to the routine for their food/sleep or does the child have to fit into their routine?

Thanks for any responses

Corey will be in a nursery from 2nd Feb, when I go back to work!!

What you really need to do is find the nursery you want to use, and go down there hun, they will show you around and answer ALL your questions.

I guess to an extent every nursery is different. My one will stick to his routine... feeding and sleeping etc. I didnt ask about how they get them so sleep as thats not a problem for my lazy sod. My nursery has a separatelittle cut off bit in the 3-12month room, where its dark and theres loads of cots lined up they all sleep in.

I dont knwo what happends if they wont go to sleep though, Id guess someone would rock them or whatever to get them to sleep - that reminds me, I must tell them they can not carry/rock him to sleep.

Sorry I cant help more. I woudl look into nurserys, you can do it online, then request a brocure, and they will send you one, then u can call them up and arrange to go down there to look around.

Becky will be in nursery as of next week and was in quite a bit before the holidays. At home between 7/8am and 7pm Becky will normally sleep only about an hour in a couple of short bursts. When she's at home during the day she will rarely go to sleep without a fight and needs to be kept awake until she's so tired that she passes out on someone, on the couch or in her cot.

Nursery must be knackering. The last couple of times she was in 9-5 and slept 45 minutes in the morning and an hour and a half in the afternoon. She NEVER does this at home - so you might find yourself surprised :lol: . For the second nap she was put down in the cot to sleep and just went to sleep without a fight. They don't hesitate to cuddle her to sleep if that's what she needs so if your LO prefers to doze off in his seat I'm sure they'll be able to do that or something very similar. There's another baby in Becky's room that will only go to sleep in a car seat so they rock him to sleep in that and move him to a cot when he's off! Being willing to do this sort of thing and go this far was a huge decider for me in choosing the nursery I did so make sure you quiz them on it. If they had told me they'd leave her to scream or if I found out that they did that regularly then I'd be out the door with DD faster than my legs could carry me.

As for the routine I can't comment too much as generally she sleeps in the daytime when she's tired and eats her solids at normal mealtimes. In the nursery for solids they tend to feed all the babies at one time around 12:30 which is fine by Becky. She has milk with lunch and a bottle in the late afternoon and the nursery staff just do as I would and if she's fussing for milk earlier they will give her it earlier.

Sorry that turned into a total waffle but hope it's of some help :lol: :hug:

these are really questions you should be asking your nursery. I know that at Seren's nursery the keyworkers would rock babies to sleep if they needed - they gave us a detailed questionnaire about what our children'spreferences were and what "routie" they had. In the baby room Seren had a cot, she had her own bedding too. In the toddler room they had a mat on the floor with their own bedding again.

hi'ya
i work at a nursery in an NHS hospital. we give out "all about me books" so you can write in there how and when your baby sleeps, their likes and dislikes ect ect.
we have had many child who have been difficult to settle and have used bouncy chairs to get them to sleep (if that is what they are used to).
in regards to eating
breakfast = 7:30am
Snack Time = 10am
Lunch Time = we have hot meals sent down to us at 12pm'ish all the children in the nursery eat at the same
Tea Time = 4:30pm (sandwiches + fruit ect...)

if you baby has a bottle at a certain time of day, then the staff will give him it at the time you tell them to. they will also put him down to naps at the time you want him to also. the only routine that is set in stone at the nursery that i work is the lunch time (whihc is out of out control due to lunch being deliveried).

if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask the nursery manager.
the nursery should also do a series of settling in visits also. grandually leaving him for longer and longer.

with alot of children we have had who are difficult to settle. we recomend sending them in a with a little baby photo album of their mum/dad and people who are close to them + a toy.

im sure he will be fine its amazing what kids will do at nursery but wont do at home

I spent 5 odd years working in nurseries and found that quite a lot of children are very different at home to nursery, lots of children can be picky about how they go to sleep etc, yet then go into nursery and are much better.

In nurseries they will tend to have sleep mats on the floor and someone will sit with each child and pat their back or rock them slightly to sleep, this is something that I could not do with Jakob at home, he would just keep getting up, but in nursery he does fine, and other children always did, even the very fussy ones!

Also with eating etc, the children seem to fall well into nursery routines because they copy/follow what the other children are doing.

So really dont worry too much it will all be fine, I can put what I have said to hundreds of children so am pretty sure I talk sense when it comes to childrens behaviour differences in nursery and home.

I also feel that nurseries are very beneficial to childrens learning and they gain a lot from it, even if it's as little as half a day a week, but this is something that people will always have differing veiws on :)

This info has been great. Thanks for your responses.

Iv decided to go and visit a few local nurseries and see how they operate.

Im glad that it sounds as if they take on board children's preferences to certain things. It has put my mind at ease a lot :hug:

hi, both my babes have gone to nursery from 6 mths. i was completely suprised at how well they got on. DS would not sleep in a cot during the day at home but soon started sleeping in a cot at nursery, he then started sleeping in a cot at home which was great. grace would only sleep swaddled with a dummy which my nursery quite happily did. grace sleeps now with a dummy at home but will go down really well now at nursery without one. also i find my children both eat much better at nursery as they eat with all the other children and it really helps with development. you do worry at first but once you get to know the staff caring for your child and can see they are happily settled it gets much easier. look round at as many nurserys as you feel you have to, im sure you will find one right for you and your Lo

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back