Gripe water

kellyandbump

Reaction score
Chloe is two weeks old and appears to be suffering from trapped wind. I am thinking of starting her on gripe water but am unsure if she is a little too young for this. Is there an age restriction before she can be started on this? Also when and how do you recommend I give this to her? I am currently breastfeeding and don't want to confuse her.

Thanks.

We have a bottle of grip water it says ages restriction after one month old
We use infocol which you can use from birth up its much more effective, i used gripe water when i ran out of infocol it was useless

sarah xx

This doesn't actually answer your question but does she get stressed while being burped because she wants to keep eating? I've discovered that if DD is working herself up it is sooo much harder to get the wind out! If I pop a dummy in, she relaxes and the wind comes out much more quickly so we can get back to feeding. At 2 weeks she had to be winded every ounze.

I'd forget about gripe water and use Infacol :) Takes a few days to kick in but found it worked like a charm. Gets all the small bubbles to become one big one to burp up much more easily.

Hi ladies.
My LO is suffering from constipation and the doctor prescribed laxatives and gripe water as i have asked him for more natural options..still didn't use it as i wanted to read about it here first ..now i think it wont help as most of u say its useless compared to infacol...
so is infacol intended for winding only or does it relief constipation as well?

maldives said:
Hi ladies.
My LO is suffering from constipation and the doctor prescribed laxatives and gripe water as i have asked him for more natural options..still didn't use it as i wanted to read about it here first ..now i think it wont help as most of u say its useless compared to infacol...
so is infacol intended for winding only or does it relief constipation as well?

Is your LO actually constipated? Are you still breastfeeding or gone over to formula now?

If breastfeeding then babies can go without pooing for days at a time. Even up to a week or more. The poos are usually quite watery when small. They gradually change as baby gut matures. But it can still be days between poos and that is quite normal. Also if your baby appears to be straining to poo, often this is simply wind and baby just needs a good fart. Its quite normal and you can help with gentle leg exercises and so on.

Constipation is little rabbit like hard poos or very hard and difficult to pass. Is your baby actually constipated? How often is he pooing and what is it like? I think laxatives for a small baby is a bit harsh. I'd be inclined to give a bit more water and to do some leg exercises to try to get things moving.

Infacol is for easing colic and wind. It makes all the gas bubbles in the stomach form into a bigger bubble that is easier to burp up.

im going to disagee now, i found infcol rubbish but as soon as i gave willow gripe water it worked a treat and thats all i used until i didnt need to wind anymore.

Hi
Sherlock my baby is constipated for sure...last time he pooed it was 3 little hard peices..and thats it since yesterday...still didn't give him any laxatives...im still mix feeding ..more formula than breast milk though... i just get so upset when i see the poor baby strains himself and starts crying as if he's asking me for help it makes me soo sad really i feel helpless.

I found gripe water worked well, I used a syringe (you can get one from your pharmacist if you haven't already got one) to give it to him. I never tried infacol but he never suffered that badly with trapped wind.

maldives said:
Hi
Sherlock my baby is constipated for sure...last time he pooed it was 3 little hard peices..and thats it since yesterday...still didn't give him any laxatives...im still mix feeding ..more formula than breast milk though... i just get so upset when i see the poor baby strains himself and starts crying as if he's asking me for help it makes me soo sad really i feel helpless.

If he is mostly formula fed are you giving him water also? If he is not getting water also it can cause him to become constipated. Formula fed babies need some water aswell as formula.

hi just wanted to let u all know my baby constipation has eased now..I've changed the formula and he's better with the new one.
thanks all for ur advices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back