Heat rash?

gingerpig

Reaction score
Debs seems to be a really sweaty baby and often has little red spots on her tummy and chest. The HV said it was dry skin and gave us some oil to put in Debs bath but it made no difference. Dressing her in looser fitting clothes has... This last week when it was really humid she got a bright red sweat rash behind her knee's which is now almost gone again. Everything I can read says it's eczema which would be a complete pain as I really didn't want her to inherit it from me, but I'm confused as it looks nothing like my eczema. I'm taking her back to the HV on Wednesday but wondered what other people thought?

Jack had similar last week on holiday, when it was hot. I had also just started using the new Johnsons bedtime bubble bath and put moisturiser on him all over before bed. I stopped using anything in his bath and no moisturiser and it cleared up within a day or so.

He has a couple of small patches of dry skin which I have used a little Infoderm (especially forumlated for eczema) since and these are now clearing up. I am going to go back to Boots Sensitive Bath stuff and will not be using moisturiser all over him as he doesn't need it and I think his skin needs to breath just use it on the patches that need it.

My husband has eczema and asthma runs in the family so I think it is highly likely that it is a mild form. HV said it probably wasn't today but I don't think she is right!

Hmmmm that's interesting. I found one link online that said if it was a sweat rash more baths will help, but if its eczema, less baths will. I'm not using the oil in Debs bath anymore, just water and then dried. I tried putting cream on the rash behind Debs knee's last week, but it just made it worse which made me think it was a swaet rash and the cream just blocked her pore further.

Good to hear that Jack's dry patches are now clearing up - did they look any different to the rest of the skin? Maybe our babies have got more sensitive skin because of the eczema/asthma genes but this isn't actually eczema yet? Good luck with Jack anyhow, am glad he is over his rash :D

Hi Ginger,
Tom has the same and the Health Visitor said it was heat rash.
L x

Yes, the patches are redder than the rest of his skin and just look a little dry.

I defo think the spots were a heat rash and I am sure Jack has sensitive skin, I am sure this is thecase with Debs too.

Maybe the health visitor suggested eczema as it does tend to start in the joints first, but surely this is also where you got hotter?

Thanks Becky and Lucy :hug: Took Debs to the gp's today and he confirmed that there patches of eczema mixed in with the heat rash but that it's also very hard to truly distinguish. I feel absolutely gutted to be honest I had hoped that with my breast feeding her, Debs wouldn't get it at all. Having said that a friend of mine did point out that if I wasn't breast feeding her it would probably be a lot wore. The gp did say that he'd seen much worse cases in babies and tbh what was there is clearing up. I think I just need to get my head round it - when I was young I had it quite badly and my mum was always really negative about it and used to make me feel really ugly. She's already asking if Debs has it.... At least I can be really positive and tell Debs she is gorgeous, and also as my OH says Debs eczema might not last. It mostly clears up after childhood and lots before the first year. Think mummy needs to take a massive chill pill lol.

I know how you feel Ginger. As you know, I'm asthmatic and Tom got a chest infection about a month ago and the GP prescribed Ventolin. I was freaking out because I'd so hoped he wouldn't inherit it from me and, of course, I remember how badly I suffered from it when I was little.
However, they can't diagnose asthma before 1 year so that was me needing a chill pill too!
Try not to worry about the eczema. I think a lot of babies suffer from it when they're little and there's no reason why she won't grow out of it quickly and be absolutely fine.
Are you using Oilatum in the bath? That helped Tom's skin.
L x :hug:

Thanks again Lucy :hug: it's nice to talk to someone with similar worries, although I'm sure yours will be ungrounded. Loads of people use ventolin for anything needing extra bronchial soothing. I have tried Debs on something similar to Oilatum but it made no difference as her skin is so lovely and soft. The more I do with the rash the worse it is, so I'm hoping it will continue like that for a bit. Of course the least worrying I do, the better also..... Thanks again - don't think I've said it before but Tom is gorgeous isn't he? Can't believe that in a few weeks time both of them will be 6 months - it only seems a couple of months ago we were comparing notes on asthma in pregnancy :shock:

Awww thanks Ginger! I love that little boy soooo much!
And yes, you're right. It seems like a few seconds ago that we were pregnant. I know it's a cliche and everyone tells you how quickly the time goes and how fast they grow up but it's so true!
Glad you're ok and really hope Debs' rash gets better soon.
Lx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back