Help! Hip pain at night!

Lulabell

Reaction score
Ok, I don't know what I can do to help ease it but I get major hip pain and sometimes knee too during the night. Extra pillows don't help at all. Any suggestions? I'm hardly getting any sleep and all I want to do is cry and scream. :-( xx

On the plus side I now have a baby eggplant lol.xx

I have to take two co codamol before bed put a pillow between my knees and I still am kept awake! Are u taking paracetomal for it?

I was as the maternity physio yest about my pelvis and hip pains, Its a nightmare at night which ever side im on will pain and contiune to hurt after iv swaped sides then the second one will hurt and im resorted to my back :-(, She just said to take paracetamol and advised I speak to a pharmacy about Ibuprofen gel, I used it before pg as i have old issues with my back but she thinks it might be ok in the gel form but would need to get clarification, Didnt get the chance to just yet but if i get to one today i will let you know :)

She has also given me exercises to do and will be treating me with physio every few weeks so maybe if it keeps up request a app with your local mat physio, I know its a common problem though !

Oh she also gave me some websites to look on for information, iv left them in the house but can msg them to you later

Not taken anything for it yet. Trying not to take medication if poss as it seems to affect my liver? It's just so painful. I don't get it during the day that often thankfully. I just feel so exhausted and snapped at hubby cos i can't sleep. And when i do get some sleep, he wakes me up snoring. :( He says he would sleep on the sofa but then i wouldnt be able to sleep cos he's not there. Arghh! :wall2:

This prob won't even help but u could try a warm bath before bed and hot water bottles? I get aches in my back at night and these help most of the time, I think the warmth soothes me and makes me feel sleepy too xx

have you tried sleeping at an angle? i have pelvis problems now and back problems (which spread to my hip and knees) from before i got preg so now have to sleep with an extra quilt under my head propping me up its still a bit painful to turn but more manageable. also why dont you ask for physiotherapy, the exercises do help a bit if you dont want to take any meds x

I had a pain free night last night thankfully. Don't think docs will offer anything unless its every night. :( xx

I had this exact problem a few weeks ago - spoke to a friend of mine who is a physio and she suggested a few things which I have to say have really helped:
1. don't just put a pillow infront of you - I now wedge my corner pillow behind me before I go to sleep then put another smaller one underneath my belly to stop my self tilting forward too much, this makes it possible for me to lie on my side but tilted back more than forwards (sorry probs doesn't make sense) which def seemed to take the pressure off my hip a bit. I have one hip much worse than the other so now I only do this on my left side but it has really really helped.
2. she also said that you CAN sleep on your back whilst preggers as long as you are not lying flat! I have found this to be of real help as if my hips become unbearable then I can roll onto my back (making sure I am slightly propped up) and go back to sleep for a while which just gives my hips a break.
3. She also mentioned that it is around this time that relaxin enters your system to relax your muscles which can make pains like this worse - im pretty sure that was why mine flared up and they have now settled down which i guess is a combo of body getting used to relaxin and improved sleeping positions.
The only other thing I would suggest is getting up and having a bath if things are really bad - I had to do that once and although it was really irritating it did really help - sorry - very long post!!! Good luck! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back