Home births

glitzyglamgirl

Reaction score
Im very lucky in that Cardiff health people really encourage home births, and im determined to have one (if we ever get pregnant!)

Ive had 2 succesful births, then one prem who passed after 3 hours, and 2 miscarriages since jan this year so im still not sure wether to go for it, has anyone else had a home birth who would be willing to share thier experiences?

Budge has recently had a home birth hun, she'll be able to tell you all about it. :)

I had a home birth and was really glad I did.

Anything in particular that you would like to know?

In general, I was feeling very lathargic but restless during the day, tried to have a nap after lunch but couldn't settle, so gave up and went to Tesco's (the cats didn't like the whiska's I had got them so had to get them some more catfood). Feeling quite uncomfortable and starting to get period type pains when I got there so I grabbed a packaged sandwich for my OH just in case. Got to the checkout and was reasonably sure it was labour pains I was feeling so called OH a bit before 4pm from the queue to ask him to leave work then (he was 1hr 15mins drive away at best). I finally got home and asked my neighbour to come round a stay with me and help me put the TENS machine on. I sat on the fit ball which helped. I tried timing my contractions but they were 3mins apart which didn't seem right by what I was told. Decided to call the number anyway, told them the timings but that I wasn't sure because the contractions didn't last for that long. Every labour is different and that I was probably in labour any they were sending someone around for assessment. He arrived 5pm about 15mins before my OH got home. He examined me and said I was only 1cm dilated. He recommended a hot bath, so my OH ran one for me and I was only in there for about 15mins before I couldn't stand it anymore and had to sit on my fit ball again. Midwife re-examined me saying there wasn't likely to be much change, and was shocked to discover I was then 5cm dilated. He called for the other midwife to come with gas and air. She didn't arrive until about 30mins before LO turned up as she was fighting Reading area traffic. My LO was officially 5 days overdue when I went into labour and when the midwife broke my waters (as they hadn't completely broken on their own) there was signs of meconium in the waters. He said the baby was nearly there (I had been getting urges to push already), but because of this I should probably transfer to hospital. He gave me the choice do we push her out quickly or do we get an ambulance. There was no way I wanted to be in the back of an ambulance by this point so obviously I said stay. 2 pushes later and her head was out. He said he would tell me when to stop pushing when her head was out so he could check the cord wasn't around her neck. He didn't tell me to push (my OH said he had turned away for something), but you can tell when the head is through so I stopped anyway. Next push and she was out fully. The midwife gave her straight to my OH while I rested briefly on the edge of the bed (I had been standing up while in labour). They checked over LO first, then encouraged me to deliver the placenta. Once that was done I layed down and my OH gave me Ellie. They checked me over while I was holding her and trying to feed her. They then told me that I had tears and needed stitches but they didn't feel confident about them - he said "I am not even sure where this bit comes from". So they called an ambulance and we went to hospital. We all finally left there at 2am.

Nicky, would they normally send people to hospital for stitches or would they normally do it at home?

Oh, meant to say. They reguarly checked LO's heart rate through labour whech was awful as I couldn't stay leaning forwrd sitting on my ball. It was ubearably painful every time I had to lie down for the exams as well.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience :D

I am a little concerned with the idea of going to hospital for stitches as I tore badly with my last 2, and I want a homebirth as I really dont like hospitals! I suppose thats something I can discuss with my midwife once I get pregnant!

They normally do them at home it was just because of how complicated mine were. They were threatening me with an epidural for the stitches!!! Thankfully a doctor was there who could do it with just a local and gas and air. We weren't kept in which is what I was very much against. I am the same about hospitals.

i had a home birth. What do you want to know about it?
my home birth story is in the announcement forum :)

They were supportive of a homebirth all the way through - as long as there are no complications. However they told me when I was 36 weeks (I think) that getting one is dependant on whether there are midwifes available and there are only 4 on call for homebirths for the whole of berkshire! I was lucky that ones were available and I only just got them. The midwife told me that he had got a call while he was on his way to me asking him to onto the ward but he told them he couldn't as he was on his way to attend a home birth. :cheer: He also said he much rather do home births than be on the ward.

did you have a male midwife nikiy? I did too! I found him great! at first when my normal midwife told me that the second midwifewas a male i thought theres no why hes seeing my tuppence but im glad i had him. He was fab! :cheer:

Yes I did. He was fantastic. I knew he was on the team and apparently some women say they don't like to be attended by him but I just wanted my homebirth. He was so supportive and reassuring, I swear he was more sympathetic than a female midwife would have been.

my feeling exactly . My male midwife was absolutely fabulous :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back