IMPORTANT* Everybody please read this OBSTETRIC CHOLESTASIS

Jo

Reaction score
Hiya girls/ladies,
I thought it important that i start this thread as I had this condition when i was PG with Jack and there was very little information about it.

We all know the signs to look for with Pre Eclampsia but non of the baby books i was given explained about this.

This condition can be a threatening one to both mum and baby if not treated correctly (please don't be scared).

I started with mild itching on my arms at about 30 weeks, my MW sent me for blood tests and it was OC.

Basically it is a blood/ liver disorder flow of bile is restricted as the liver is not fuctioning properly which leads to a build up of bile acids in the blood which is what causes the itching.
I was given steroids and various other pill and potions (15 a day in all!!) and monitered very closly and the delivered Jack at 37 weeks

The main signs to look for are ITCHINESS, TIREDNESS(i know we are more tired anyway!) and FEELING INCREASINGLY HOT

I thought it important to post this now as it could be confused with the warm weather and it would be better to be safe than sorry.

I am going to put some links up for you if you have any questions please feel free to ask either on here or PM me

http://www.britishlivertrust.org.uk/con ... stasis.asp
http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068933/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/conditions/ ... sis1.shtml

xSuzx also recomended this site www.itchymoms.com

my m8 had this and had to induced she to could find little info!!! good thinking for posting this hun

a lot of people dont know about this and it is extremely serious :( xxx

Hiya
I just moved this to First Tri as you are right, it's very important people know this, and more preggy moms will see it in here. :)

A girl my mum works with had this and lost her baby at 38 weeks. She went to the doctor with severe itching and the doctor told her it was normal (bull crap because as soon as my mum said about itching I said was it something to do with the liver? so why didn't a doc think of that). It was terrible. She had a perfect baby who could have been saved but the doctor totally dismissed it and when she went to the doctor she could feel the baby moving around, 3 days later they couldn't find a heartbeat. Sorry I don't mean to upset anyone but it can be really serious and it just shows how deverstating it can be, so don't let a doctor fob you off if you're worried, it takes nothing for them to do a blood test. Horrible thing :(

just wanted to add to this thread there is a baby buried 2 graves away from jamie that this happened to mother had severe itching and they wouldnt listen to her baby was stillborn at 39 weeks if you have this condition baby needs to be born before 37 weeks to survive :( if anyone is at all concerned that they could have this they should demand a blood test immediately do not be fobbed off xxxx

:clap: Well said Rach, Doc's/MW have got to realise we know our own bodies

Hi I though I would post my story here so any worried mum's to be in the future can see how hard their journey might be but that being persistant could resolve things. It is such a long story that I am actually pasting the email I sent to my worried friends and family so excuse the way its written and also that it is longwinded but hey so was my day

Before this day I had a week of nights with intense itching on my feet and the palms of my hands and had been given blood tests twice during this time. I was given 4 sleeping pills and it was when these ran out my DH rang to ask for more (as they meant I'd get 4 or 5 hours sleep). The doc on the phone was very concerned and said I had to come in for a day or two for observation but when I got there the following happened:

Well it all starts yesterday morning, I got to the hospital and was sent for
blood tests straight away. I then went back to the delivery place and was
told I had to wait and see a dermatologist. I knew that this was a waste of time but also understood that they have to eliminate everything.

While waiting I went for a wee and did it in a cup to do the usual
protien/glucose test and realised it was dark brown and really strong. I
kept the wee and Martin (my DH) told the midwife and she said she'd check it soon. Bear in mind that the doc the day before told Martin I was going in to be closely monitered for a day or two and I didn't even have my blood pressure checked or my tummy felt all day!

The midwife then came along and said I had an appointment with a
dermatologist at 11.30, I mentioned my wee again and she snapped she was too busy to look at it then as she had told my husband!! I thought it was a bit rude but had noticed she'd been quite busy drinking her coffee and eating a slice of cake shortly earlier!!!

Anyway just before my appointment Martin asked her what to do with the wee and she said chuck it away and I can do another one later! Please bear in mind I am supposed to be being observed for a liver disorder!

By the time we get to the dermatology dept I'm feeling very tired (after 3
hours sleep tops) and a bit upset that nothing seems to be happening.The
dermatologist asks me some questions and then tells me I have pregnancy itching!!!!!! Martin wouldn't have me being fobbed off so she gets another guy to come in and this tosser (sorry Mum but he was!) tells me I will have to put up with it until she's born and then very patronisingly said "it's your first pregnancy isn't it?" Well I went schitzo, I was hysterical, martin started arguing with them too and I left and everyone was staring because I'd been shouting "WHY IS NOONE LISTENING TO ME?". I know all about pregnancy itching and this isn't it! So basically they diagniosed me without even looking at my skin even though I told them I have painful cracks in my feet where i have rubbed them on the carpet for relief!

I,left the building still hysterical, (I had that crying where you can't even breath properly) and Martin told them to come and find
us outside while they write up my notes. By now I was determined I was not going to stay overnight at the hospital and wanted to fly straight back to the UK!!Martin instead rang my personal midwife, who is fantastic and was the one who originally sent me for my initial blood tests when I mentioned the itch. He talked to her for ages and then she wanted to talk to me and said she was going to see if my latest blood results were ready and to find a doctor to come and talk with me.

(By the way in the meantime someone came and gave me my notes and they were taped up! I ripped them open straight away and they'd written me and my husband wouldn't accept there is nothing they can do for us! I'm so glad I have that in writing!)

Within 5 minutes of getting back to the delivery dept a doctor came to see me. It started off exactly the same. Basically my new blood results weren't ready but the last 2 showed that the liver test function was slowly rising but not enough for them to put me on medication.. As I have tried asking everyone I wanted to know if my liver biles were tested and finally I got the answer NO which I couldn't believe as they have even tested me for lukeamia! This is the important test that shows if I have bile in my blood which causes the itching and is a potential risk to Leorah. She started going on about how it is very normal to itch during pregnancy as the skin is stretching blah blah and I said for the final time "MY STOMACHE IS NOT ITCHING; ITS MY FEET AND PALMS!!!" Suddenly it was like a I'd waved a magic wand (or perhaps a lawsuit flashed before her eyes!) and she told me it sounded serious if its my feet and hands and they will put me on the tablets (ursofalk) because it is possible that the itching can start quite a while before the liver function goes off the scale, hallejuah!! She then said the magic words that the drugs are expensive so even though I am suffering and it could kill my baby they will leave putting you on medication until the last minute! It turns out that we had to pay £130 for the tablets (most of which we can claim back) for3 months so not a big lot of money in the big picture at all. Even if it turned out I don't have OC the tablets can't hurt me or Leorah so why the wait?

My midwife then came along and hugged me and apologised on everyone's behalf but we have already decided to write down everything that has happened in case we need it in the future. I would like to stress in all this we have had some crap people deal with us but the ones that weren't have taken it all very seriously and been wonderful like my midwife and the doctor Martin spoke to on the phone that wanted me in for observation. It was just unlucky that I had a day full of incompetent dickheads.

So finally I got my own way but there are women out there who haven't been so lucky and have ended up having stillbirths because everyone puts their itching down to pregnancy stretching. I still,have to go for regular tests but now I have the drugs I am basically safe. I see the consultant on Thursday and will make sure I am reassured that if need be they will do the section early.

The itching can take up to a week to let up but at least now when I am up in the middle of the night with my feet in iced water I don't have to be
worrying. I will try and sleep in the day for now.

I am so shaken by this experience and can't stop crying about what could have happened and for all those ladies that don't get diagnosed. It was when I read the sticky for this in 1st trimester that the baby next to Rachel's little Jamie died from this that I started to really panic it made the dangers so real.

Please insist on getting the appropriate tests if you itch, more rarely but quite possible the itch can be on your stomache so you will more than likely be immediately diagnosed with pregnancy itch but by doing 2 simple blood tests they can eliminate OC.

I went to itchymoms.com and they have a printed letter you can present to your midwife or doctor that tells them what tests need to be done and what medication to give if you have it. The moderator Melanie was also very prompt and helpful at answeing my questions.

Anyway I hope noone needs to bother with this

I mentioned to my MW about itchy feet, arms, hands and legs at my last appointment and she said she would send me for blood tests just to double check, but she didn't think there was anything to worry about.

I had the test done yesterday, and I have just had a call from the fetal assessment unit at my hospital saying some of the levels for this test have come back high. She said the main one they worry about seems to be ok, but some others are elevated. Ive got to have more bloods taken on Monday and speak to a doc on wed about it.

I’m now panicking about it. What does it mean if 'some' levels are high... does it mean it is the early stages of an infection and they can sort it?

What should I expect them to do next? Is there anything I can do to help (im signed off for another week because of adnominal pains anyway, so im getting plenty of rest).

samx

When do we need to look out for this, is there a time in the pregnancy when it more common or can it occur at anytime?

oh no im scared now! what if we get it confussed with hot weather?
xnatx

i didn't feel overly hot when i had it & it was discovered around september time. I just couldn't sleep at night because my feet where so itchy.

they discovered mine at 28 weeks, but i had been itching for a few weeks before that. i was told that it was quite early though.

:hug:

mama2b, don't be overly scared
it usually occurs after 30 weeks, and itching is the main symptom, it is easy to get confused as i got mine diagnosed just after i had come back from holiday, i though was too much sun, but my MW was brill and spotted it straight away
If you have any itching that you are unsure about just mention it and 9/10 you will get a blood test, it is that simple to spot
but they need to test for it as it is not routinley tested for :roll:

mama2b said:
oh no im scared now! what if we get it confussed with hot weather?
xnatx

Don't be scared, now you know what to look for you are a lot safer :)

Ive been tested for this as I had itching and saw this post so rang CDS, it turned out to be an allergy but so glad I got checked anyway :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back