Introducing solids @ 4 mths

Kim

Reaction score
For those who introduced solids at 4 months, did your baby accept it straight away?

Rubie is still pushing food out of her mouth with her tongue so I have stopped giving her solids as she obviously isn't ready, but she has gone from sleeping through for 11 hours to waking in the middle of the night, although I don't know if it is hunger as she will go straight back off if I give her a dummy.

She also drinks between 10 and 12 oz each feed, so she wants a lot of milk but wont take solids???

what soilds are you giveing her?

packets or jars, or your own stuff?

I had to make Cobys very runny for him to take it, i just mixed it will warm boiled water, or his milk untill it was the right texture for him.

xx

i started of giving Dior rusks mix with her baby milk once a day just made it runny, she loved ikt and has never looked back since lol

same here dionne, Coby loved it!

what age did you start?

xx

:oops: people usually have a go at me when i tell them... 8weeks!
and she was 5weeks prem... i suppose it was a bit soon but she seemed fine with it and from then on slept through the night,
Dior has alwas loved her food and would eat me under the table lol x

I've tried her with baby rice and pureed veg, I've done it quite runny, I guess she's not ready. I read in my book 'what to expect the first year' that if they push it out with their tongue, it's a reflex that goes when they are ready for solids so if they still do it, they aren't ready. I think I will wait a week and try again. Thanks girls :D

Abi took it straight away has never spat it out, keep trying every couple of days, might be an idea to try milk for hungrier babies :)

With her going back to sleep without needing feeding I would say she may not be ready for solids yet? I would perhaps wait til she is starting to show signs of wanting to wean and perhaps try solids again. Rubie will let you know when she wants them.

Aimee started at 17 weeks and she excepted it straight away. She loves her food, just not her milk.. With my first I started her at 12 weeks cos it was recommended to start at 3 months then and she wasn't ready and just spat it out so we tryed again when she was about 19 weeks and she was fine then.

Dionne, I am on your side-Rebecca was 11 weeks and I started giving her baby rice/creamed porridge mixed with her milk in her bottles-she goes mad when I put a spoon near her.

I don't care what people say, every child is different and needs different things... I do it as she is a hungry baby, who will not settle on just a bottle. So it's baby rice in the morn, and porridge at night-helps her sleep thru 2! :clap:

She is now just over 12weeks, and I don't feel bad about it, I know plenty mums who weaned b4 4 months. I just haven't mentioned it to the HV! :shock:

K X said:
Dionne, I am on your side-Rebecca was 11 weeks and I started giving her baby rice/creamed porridge mixed with her milk in her bottles-she goes mad when I put a spoon near her.

I don't care what people say, every child is different and needs different things... I do it as she is a hungry baby, who will not settle on just a bottle. So it's baby rice in the morn, and porridge at night-helps her sleep thru 2! :clap:

She is now just over 12weeks, and I don't feel bad about it, I know plenty mums who weaned b4 4 months. I just haven't mentioned it to the HV! :shock:

im the same, Coby started having a rusk before bed at 11 weeks, he needed it coz he was so hungry.

last week he started waking up in the nights again so now he has lunch too, hes a happier baby for it

xxx

beanie said:
With her going back to sleep without needing feeding I would say she may not be ready for solids yet? I would perhaps wait til she is starting to show signs of wanting to wean and perhaps try solids again. Rubie will let you know when she wants them.

You're right Beanie, I just tried her with solids becuase she was drinking so much milk I assumed she was really hungry, but I am going to wait I don't want to force her when she obviously doesn't want or need anything other than milk :D

Kim is she on the "hungry baby" milk?

Brody wolfed down his first solids, he was totally ready.

Yeah Mel just took to it instantly at 17 weeks, he's always been a hungry baby. We had to switch him to hungrier baby milk at about 4 weeks because he was taking 8oz of SMA Gold 6 times a day! His intake went right down after that and it apparently has the same calories- just takes longer to digest so it fills them up for longer. Might be worth a go if you haven't tried it?

+++

how soon can they go on hungrier baby milk?? i cant remember how soon dior did??

Harleys not even 2 weeks old but wants feeding every 1 and a half - 2 hrs and hes having a good 4 oz which is a good amount for his age.

urchin said:
Kim is she on the "hungry baby" milk?

No she's on normal cow & gate, I never really thought about putting her on the other one becuase she is ok on this milk, she just takes a lot. Saying that, she only has 4 bottles in 24 hours...

Hey all can i ask is it ok for me to be giving frankie half a rusk mixed with boiled cooled water as she is so hungry all the time i tried her last nite and again tonight and she absolutley loved it gobbled it all down she was licking her lips and seemed to really enjoy it. I hope im not doing wrong here???? :?

i started giving it Dior even younger then frankie... but i used to mix it with cow and gate milk rather then water

Dionne - when you gave the rusk to Dior was she laying in your arms or did you use a highchair? What age can they sit in a highchair, anyone know? I can't wait to get Olivia a highchair - she loves it when I hold her more upright, but she doesn't like her bouncy chair so she either lies on the floor or goes in her swing but that's too big to cart into the kitchen (I'd like her to watch me cooking dinner so I can keep an eye on her but make sure we get a meal at night!).

Maybe I could get a bumbo - do they have to be able to sit up to use them?
Do you have to put it on the floor or would the worksurface of kitchen be ok?

Thanks

Lucy

Most highchairs are from 4-6 months although you can get them from birth, the bumbo's they need to be able to support their head, they dont need to ba able to sit up as this is what the bumbo is designed for the way the chair is designed it helps them sit up and the chair collapses in around them to stop them falling out, they are recommended from 4 months but really as long as she can hld her head easy she should be fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back