Is this wrong of me ....

WILMAFLINSTONE

Reaction score
.....ok so my DD has just left school and has till september till she starts 6th form.

So weve talked to her and said that since shes still studying for at least the next two years we will support her financially and that she doesnt have to get a job unless she really wants one and thinks she can juggle sixth form and part time work!

So weve come to the decision that she not going to have to get a part time job HOWEVER....we have talked about it and its something that I already do, so its no surprise to her but I have said that she is to do some voluntary work over the holidays as this is also part of her life skills experience for what she wants to do at Uni!

Shes applied to be on the school coucil in 6th form, the outdoor activites council, entertainments and music council and a couple of others, and shes also picking up where we paused for GCSE's on her DoE award.

Shes not complaining or anything as is willing to do all this and I personally think it will only give her a better chance and understanding in life to see things from a different side of life and know how priveleged she is in certain ways, and surely that cant be wrong can it??

BuI still cant help but feel am I doing the right thing with respect to letting her have the hols to herself this year and let her start all the voluntary stiff in september??
I just dont want her sleeping till afternoon everyday then doing nothing with her time and wasting 10 weeks going to the coast and getting into bad habbits!

So waht do you think about my proposal for her....right or wrong or just not yet??

Any advice ladies??

xxxx

I think it's a great idea and evenbetter if she's willing to do it! x x I don't think you're wrong at all!

Thanks helen...just dont want her to grow up taking things for granted and its so rewarding doing voluntary work too!! :) xx

I think this is the best time for her to do it...then she can concentrate on her studies in sept xx

Last edited:
I think that's a really nice idea.. Can open her eyes to many things and the life experience might be a real help in the future when deciding on a career x

I think that's a brilliant idea!!

I think its a great idea. It also shows how loving and supportive you are. You don't want or demand her to pay her way as you understand that studying and working can be tough but you on the other hand want her to gain life experience. I wish my mother had been so supportive. I think your awesome xx

Thanks alot ladies....it helps getting others opinions as I dont want to be an overbaring mother but I do think its very important and like you said it will give her some life experience for the field she wants to go into which is child protection social work and they normally like to appoint older graduates so I def think a good thing for her as well as finishing her DoE!

And thanks Toon...thats really nice of you to say that....I completely understand what its like working and studying as I did both of those and was a mother to her at the same time so yeah I dont want to burden her with too much and as long as she gives something back to society by volunteering while shes studying we are more than happy to support her financially and thankfully she fully appreciates that too and is for the moment happy to do that lol.

You know how it is we always strive for our kids to do well and have a great start in adult life and thats all Im trying to achieve here as well as have her turn into a well rounded young lady with an appreciation of life as it is for other people in different situations to her!

Thanks again ladies Im know Im doing the right thing taking this approach and it can only make her a better person Im sure xxx

i did voluntary work when i was her age for the same reasons but tbh more my own idea. i think its a great idea BUT the type of work i did made me want a part time job cos i thought i may as well get paid for this stuff... i recommend getting her to volunteer in a nursery or summer camp or old persons home as MUCH more enjoyable... she can volunteer and enjoy her summer at same time... i also done 5 days a week and it was too much ... there are volunteer bureaus that if you join they will put you in contact with different organisations and events some amazing ones like special olympics and under privileged daycare etc and you get certificates for your work (v good motivation and great for uni app form) :) look in your local area ... hope this helps xx

hey lisa.....thanks for your post and yeah its very uselfull thanks! Im glad you enjoyed it too!
Shes registered with our local CVS and tried to do voluntary work when she was 14 off her own back but nobody would allow her at that age.
However now she has more oppotunities and has approached an elderly residential home and been allowed to do some work with them and she has also been to talk to the owners in a private pre school kindegarden and is meeting with the CVS to see what they can offer her as a lot of the organsiations where we live stipulate a min age of 18 for a lot of the placements! Looks promising tho! She is and has also been a young cared since she was 7years old so I truly think thats helped her in a lot of ways although its also made her grow up a lot faster than her freinds.

Will let you know when she gets her placement and how she gets on and thanks for sahring your experiences of voluntary work xxx

Well DD started her first shift in voluntary work today and she loved it!

Shes working with a group of young adults helping me to teach them crafting, card making and jewellery making!

Two of the young girls 23, also go to another club on a sat morning and shes going to be working with them and some more young adults there!

She was great with them and I was very proud of her wanting to do it!

She particularly got on great with a young lady with Down Syndrome and afterwards told me how nervous she was at first but found it really easy and rewarding as she felt good afterwards!
Im so pleased with her!

Hope she can bring a bit of sunshine into the lives of those less fortunate, deprived, or affected by illness and disability!

xx

thata amazing im sure ur v proud, ur obv an amazing mum xxx

Thanks Lisa!

I think she surprised herself too as was really worried about not being able to understand those with speech problems but shes a natural! And thank you...I try my best ;-) xxx

ahh have just seen this thread Wilma, what a fantastic daughter you have, and if she is enjoying it too, well perfect!

if she is willing to do it then fantastic! you have nothing to worry about! she's probably thinking it's better that she does do it rather than being bored for the next 10 weeks! ;-) x

Thanks JJ.... :) Yeah she could be all sorts of other bad stuff so Im thankful thats shes interested in this and enjoyed it! xxx

Thanks Munchkin! Yeah exactly....the bordem would finish her off! lol xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back