isofix car seat...

foxymum

Reaction score
has anyone got an isofix car seat? this is where the car seat is attatched to 2 pionts in the actual car chair, so the car seat cannot move atall (sorry i am crap at explaining things!!)

i'm thinking of getting them in my renault scenic for Louie & for josh too, any comments? any atall??

also these are expensive, for Louies its £240 & for josh £95, what do you reckon, i am a sucker for safety & think these could be brilliant, even if you need a 2nd mortgage to buy them :rotfl: :rotfl:

i wouldnt bother - all new cars manufactured now are meant to come with the fixings now by law (i think!), so why not wait until you get your next car?

izzyx

i've just bought my new car & the car does have isofix fittings, but i'm wondering about the special car seats for the isofix fittings.
or does any car seat fit these?

Personally, if I had a car that had isofix fittings in it I would go for the isofix version of the car seat that you want.

They are a good safety feature and a lot easier to fit.

Can i just ask do you buy the seat and a base or if you have a newish car do you just buy the seat which clips in or do you need the base either way.

I have a new A4 estate. I suppose it shold have clips. Just confused?

Sarah

i have a maxi cosy isofix for my golf & would recommend one, yes they dont look any different than the standard one but they are alot less hassle and safer.
you dont need a base if you have isofix fixings in your car but always need to check what seat can go in what car

hope this helps

We got a maxi cozy car seat with our Quinny Buzz pram package, and we gor an iso fix base off E Bay- think we paid £90 with delivery for it...pricey but well worth it for safety and also its so easy to take seat in and out-its great. Get one :D xxx

Do you have to get a new isofix thingy when you change your carseat for the next size up???

no, i think you just but a 2nd stage car seat that is compatible with isofix.
IE it goes through the seat in the fixings (the chair in the car i mean)

I've got maxi cosi isofix... love it! I feel happy knowing that my baby is in the best possible seat... safe and secure!

Go for it!

Emilia xx

The isofix in a car is actually attached to the main body of the car, not just the seats. This makes it much safer (in my opinion) than a car seat only held by the seatbelt. The bmw we have ordered has isofix in the back, and we have also asked for isofix in the front aswell. Which also has passenger airbag deactivation.
If you have isofix then buy an isofix child seat imho. At the moment in our current car we dont have isofix and to be honest I dont feel that Jakob is as safe as he could be with just the seatbelt holding the seat in.

I am a bit confused by isofix too....

I have them in the back of my car and the car seat we are getting is a Britax cosytots premium which is a rear facing car seat.

So the baby will be in the back of the car facing away from me - is that normal??

I always imagined I would have the baby in the front seat so I can see it when it is in a rear facing seat.

Also the isofix is designed to be rear facing as well so how can you use it for future car seats which are forward facing?

Topbird.... can you turn off the airbag in the front passenger side? if yes then you can have the baby in the front with you until they go in a forward facing car seat (9 months or so ).
thats what i do with Louie, its great coz i can always see him, but if not you can get these mirrors that attatch to the headrest of the back seat where the car seat is & when you look in your interior mirror (the one in the middle of the windscreen) then you can see baby at the same time.

i had one of these in my other car coz the airbag wasn't one that you could turn off.
as for the 2nd stage car seats with isofix, i think you can get these too, thats what i am going to do for Louie now, wait till hes in that stage & then get one coz its not worth it now.

yes I can turn off the front air bag but there is no iso fix in the front only in the back

topbird said:
yes I can turn off the front air bag but there is no iso fix in the front only in the back

oh, what about the mirror idea?

It definitely looks like you would need to buy 2 different iso fix's, one for rear facing seat Group 0 and another for front facing car seats Group 1 onwards, unless I have still got it totally wrong.

topbird said:
It definitely looks like you would need to buy 2 different iso fix's, one for rear facing seat Group 0 and another for front facing car seats Group 1 onwards, unless I have still got it totally wrong.

What do you mean the attachments in the car or the isofix base? The isofix attachments in the car are all the same....You just have to buy isofix compatible car seats when using them.,..the base on the car seat..well when you upgrade carseats you are always going to have to get a new base anyway unless it is a universal one....

the other option is to get the isofix fixings put in your car by a main dealer, then you dont need a base at all. dont know how much it would cost you though..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back