• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ive been wanting to ask this for ages!

sally12

Reaction score
Hi ladies

Please dont laugh at my stupid questions! :oops: Ive been plucking up the courage to ask them for a while!

Im really keen to have a homebirth but everyone I tell says "you wont want all that mess in your house!"...so just how messy is this giving birth thing!? :lol:

Am I right in thinking that the only "messy" bits are:

1) waters breaking
2) Possible pooping during labour
3) 'Sludge' and a bit of blood during the birth
4) Lots of blood when the placenta comes out

so in between these events it is quite "mess free?"

I want to be able to walk around during the labour but will my house look like a murder scene by the end? Will my DH have to follow me around with a shower curtain underneath me? Should I aim to stay in just one room and have all the floor protected or will just an area of the room be OK? Are the cream carpets which are throughout my house ever going to be the same again? :(

As you can tell, I am clueless! Im sorry for the crazy questions...I just cant imagine what it is going to be like and I want to prepare myself (and my house!)...

....come on ladies, please tell me the truth!!!!

sally12 said:
Hi ladies

Please dont laugh at my stupid questions! :oops: Ive been plucking up the courage to ask them for a while!

Im really keen to have a homebirth but everyone I tell says "you wont want all that mess in your house!"...so just how messy is this giving birth thing!? :lol:

1) waters breaking

I want to be able to walk around during the labour but will my house look like a murder scene by the end? Will my DH have to follow me around with a shower curtain underneath me? Should I aim to stay in just one room and have all the floor protected or will just an area of the room be OK? Are the cream carpets which are throughout my house ever going to be the same again? :(

As you can tell, I am clueless! Im sorry for the crazy questions...I just cant imagine what it is going to be like and I want to prepare myself (and my house!)...

....come on ladies, please tell me the truth!!!!

i cant really help on the walking about bit hun as i pretty much stayed in the same place but there was no mess where i was and my carpet is cream and there was no blood on it even after everything :)
1.when my waters broke i was on the sofa all i had underneath me where maternity mats and it soaked it all up
2.id imagine you wouldnt notise it happening but it will happen when you push so hopefully you will be in the 1 place when you are pushing so it wont go everywhere
3.&4. tbh i dint loose much blood during or after the birth and they put the placenta in a little bowl so that doesnt go everywhere,
i just had a shower curtain underneath me with a double quilt cover incase i got cold oh and a couple towels for wiping ect, there was no mess and even hubby who passes out when he gets a papercut was fine and said about how clean it was :)
goodluck hun
xx

Is that it? :dance: Perhaps you were just a lucky one though?! :think: :?

sally12 said:

1) waters breaking

Honestly, I don't know where people get the idea that your house will look like a disaster zone. Its just not true :wall:

I had a homebirth and my house was as clean afterwards as it was before. One of the MW's even did the washing up before leaving :D

Waters breaking could happen anytime. You could be asleep in bed, out for a walk, just sitting on the sofa. It might happen before labour really gets going, during it, or even as baby is born. So I'd not worry about that. You can prepare with a few maternity sheets but other than that, just wear a pad.

Yes you might poo in labour. But tbh that usually happens during the pushing stage and by then you'll be somewhere that will have the plastic sheeting out ready (MW's have stuff also) or in the pool. Thats where a sieve comes in handy. MW's will clear it away anyways.

Average blood loss when giving birth is around 500mls iirc. Its not masses. I was pretty blood covered. I got out of the pool and gave birth standing up, so of course had blood running down my legs. I was stood on plastic sheeting and an old sheet and also maternity sheets. Not one drop got on the carpet anywhere. MW took me for a shower once I was stiched up. Cleaned the bath round also when I was done.

The placenta is pushed out and mine was caught in a large medical dish. Not much blood with it. And therefore no mess at all.

I was mobile all round the house during labour and it was fine. I walked round, was in the bedroom for a bit, sitting room, up and down the stairs... I kept my knickers and a pad on during the first stage. My waters went after I'd had an internal to check dilation and my MW then gave my tummy a gentle squeeze. Nothing major. It wasn't like Niagra Falls or anything. I kept pad and knicks on till I got in the pool. Once out of there and ready to push I didn't have anything on and MW's had laid out all the sheeting in preparation and all their own kit for birthing.

Its really not as bad as people think it is. They have obviously not had a homebirth or have wild ideas about labour and birth. And are usually woefully misinformed or uninformed about what homebirth is like :roll:

MW's take away everything all bagged up. The only thing we did was put the towels and old sheet through a hot wash.

You'll be fine :) Plenty of time to read up and find out what you'll need in preparation.

FWIW there is a sticky thread here on homebirthing. Click the link below to read it :)

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=86464

Thanks Sherlock :hug:

Girls, that is exactly what i wanted to hear! :dance:

Im up against some opposition from my in-laws about a homebirth...my Grandma in-law keeps going on about the mess and my MIL is telling everyone that I am endangering her unborn grandaugher by having a homebirth! :roll: :roll: Luckily my DH and my parents are very supportive...and Im a very stuborn woman! :wink:

I love your homebirth link Sherlock, thank you...this forum has so many complete stars on it! :hug: :cheer:

sally12 said:
Thanks Sherlock :hug:

Girls, that is exactly what i wanted to hear! :dance:

Im up against some opposition from my in-laws about a homebirth...my Grandma in-law keeps going on about the mess and my MIL is telling everyone that I am endangering her unborn grandaugher by having a homebirth! :roll: :roll: Luckily my DH and my parents are very supportive...and Im a very stuborn woman! :wink:

I love your homebirth link Sherlock, thank you...this forum has so many complete stars on it! :hug: :cheer:

Most welcome. I would recommened homebirthing to any woman who has a good pregnancy, is fit and well and wishes to have one :) It really is wonderful.

Re your in laws. I'd just ignore them. You generally develop a thick skin when you dedice to have a homebirth. For some reason people many people think its dangerous and you are risking your child. As I said, most people are woefully misinformed about modern day homebirthing. I'd not even bother getting into a conversation about it with your in laws. As we said to those who thought we were bonkers, we would not do anything to put myself or baby at risk. If there was a problem we would have transferred to hospital. MW's are well trained to spot problems and will take action.

Your MIL is overreacting and being insensitive. I'd just zone out and let it go over your head.

I had a wonderful homebirth and I've yet to read a bad homebirth story. Even those who transferred to hospital had nothing but good things to say about the home part.

Trust yourself and your body. Keep thinking positive :)

:hug: :hug: :hug:
Ditto what Sherlock said - I was due for a homebirth but during labour my bubbas heartrate dropped a little so i was taken to hospital BUT I would go for a home birth again and it did not put me off at all - midwives are trained to deal with any issues and know when you need extra help!

It's also worth remembering that you can change your mind during labour at home and ask to go to hospital but i don't think you could ask to have a home birth once you are in hospital!

good luck, hope you get your homebirth and have a good experience xx

Ditto what the others have said, I had such a good birth last time I'm actually looking forward to doing it all again!

Mess-wise,
- my waters went in a trickle so were controlled easily by a pad. I was sick which was a bit of a shock but I managed to make it to the sink so no mess there (although it was a close one!).

- I had originally planned a waterbirth so had some waterproof sheets (from Wilkinson I think), in the event I didn't get the pool up on time but the sheets were good to protect the carpet anyway.

- I didn't really move that much during labour, I found my comfortable position and stuck with it! I don't remember there being any mess except just after the midwife examined me when I lost a bit of blood.

- I did poo during labour (didn't realise until afterwards though), but the midwife was SO discreet she just used an old towel to get rid of any evidence really quickly (OH didn't even realise I had until I told him a few days later, and he was bu my side the whole time!)

- I was still on my sheet & towels when my placenta came out, it was a bit of a mess but the midwives dealt with it really well I hardly noticed anything.

My midwives clear up almost everything afterwards, and bundle any waste up in yellow bin bags. In my area they aren't allowed to carry the placenta or 'hazardous' waste in their cars anymore so a man came to collect the bags the next day. My mum was brilliant & spent an hour cleaning up before she went home but there wasn't really much mess at all. Certainly not enough to put me off homebirth.

I really can't recommend homebirth ebough, I loved being able to go to bed with my 2 hour old boy on one side of me & my OH on the other, then wake up all together. :D

When I had Tia there was loads of blood EVERYWHERE... but I didn't know I was haemorrhaging at the time...

This time, my waters broke while I was sat at home trawling through PF and there wasn't a lot tbh. Some got on the bathroom floor (I made it to the bathroom before they really went) but most of it ended up in the toilet. Plus waters going happens anywhere any time... And blood wise.. There was hardly any this time tbh. :think: So I think if things go fine there won't be much mess...if they don't you won't be at home anyway. :)

Threw up with Tia but in a bowl and didn't throw up with lil miss... never poop'd during either of my labours :)

Mine wasn't messy at all. All the mess was contained on plastic sheets and towels which were bagged up in yellow biohazard bags and taken away. I wasn't aware of pooing - only until I looked back at the blow by blow account (yep..they keep that!) of your labour did I notice "Bowels opened" :oops: By that time you have no modesty anyway!

i had a home birth last year and i got sick to death of people criticising me when i was pregnant (i found it was more "ooh gosh, what if something goes wrong" like i was taking reckless risks grrrr :roll:

u kno what, it was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY LESS messy than i'd ever thought it would be! im honestly telling u, i was suprised at how UN-messy it is

good luck with ur homebirth hun, big up the home birth crew!

I had a homebirth and there was no mess at all. I had my waters broke for me and they gushed out but I had pads, sheets and a couple of shower curtains under me so all the water went on them. There wasn't really that much blood either but the bit that there was went on the pads I had under me. I was sick while I was in labour though, but I would have been at home then anyway even if I was having a hospital birth because it was in the early stages I was sick. I made it to the toilet anyway though :lol:

I didn't move off the settee while I was in labour though, I had all these plans before about how I would move around in labour etc but when it actually happened I just wanted to sit on the settee and be left alone :lol:

Igonre your in-laws, when I was pregnant I had people saying 'Ohh you shouldn't have a homebirth, it's dangerous, hospital is much safer' I just told them that it was my choice, I was low risk and it's none of their business anyway where I have my baby :lol:. The midwifes are well trained to spot and deal with problems and will transfer you to hospital if needed.

I loved my homebirth and would definately have another one :D

trixipaws said:
i had a home birth last year and i got sick to death of people criticising me when i was pregnant (i found it was more "ooh gosh, what if something goes wrong" like i was taking reckless risks grrrr :roll:

I was kind of that way before I had the homebirth but a few years ago my cousin had a baby and was seriously ill when she was born so I was a bit wary of what could happen. I wanted to be in hospital in case anything went wrong and I was ready for every single pain relief option going and was really proud of myself that I managed to do it with out anything except a tiny bit of gas & air (didn't like it tho'). Plus my baby was healthy and well (he came quickly 3 weeks early hence the HB).

Would deffo recommend it - my mum and dad could have a cuddle of their new grandson about an hour after he was born and we had chinese for tea! :rotfl:

Thanks for all of your replies, it means a lot!

It definately seems like there is less mess than I imagined (by about a billion times!) and really good to hear all your positive homebirth stories.

I know a homebirth is not for everyone and I respect that but what what i was finding difficult at first was people forming opinions without knowing the facts first! I already love our baby so much and (like you girls say) why would I put her at risk if a HB was dangerous? Ive only ever been to hospital a couple of times (when I was born and for my recent scans of baby) and I find them to be very daunting places. I will be much more comfortable at home and anyways i am only 5 mins from the hospital if I need to be transfered. :dance:

Hiya Sally, ive not experienced a homebirth... yet :wink: but im planning on having one HOPEFULLY within the next 10 days :lol: In my case its MY mum thats nervous, OH's parents etc are well up for it but thats because he's one of 4 & my Oh was born at home (all be it accidently hehehe). Ive explained to people that we live close to hospital & midwives are linked up to ambulance should we need one & we would have no concerns in being transfered if MW thought it was necessary. That usually puts peoples mind at ease. Most comments i get are "youre brave"... when its something ive never gone through before how on earth can i be brave? I just wanna try & do it in the comfort of my own home, rather than the hospital where i work!
I dont know if i would have been "brave" enough to pick it before reading things like sherlocks birth story & getting advice from here but Im DEF going to make every effort to stay at home now.
As for mess, my MW says they ensure everywhere is clean before they leave & take it all with them... we've just got some old bed sheets/towels to sit on & plastic dust sheets from asda for underneath...
Come on girl... lets stay at home :D

I had a homebirth and a birthing pool.

The pool was great because its a place where you can actually give birth and it contains everything :) and afterwards it can just be drained by your OH and midwives.

My waters broke upstairs but the midwives had put a pad under me so no mess!

After the birth I got out of the pool and yes there was blood in different areas of the lounge due to the placenta delivery etc. but honestly the midwives cleaned up and the house didn't look any different when I came downstairs!

They bring absorbent pads .with them and you can have towels / plastic sheeting.

See www.homebirth.org.uk for info on how safe home birth is - for your family. Show them the stats.

Dawn
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back