Let's get this party started ;)

kizzibea

Reaction score
I've been unsure about posting in here because it seems a bit quiet and I wasn't sure if it was really the place where I belonged, but I've been thinking about it and you know what, I'm on cycle 12 and that's a pretty long time so I think I'll come on over here and join in. :)

We've given ourselves two more cycles and then we're going to go see OH's GP in January (because she's nicer than mine). OH & I had a little chat the other night and he admitted that he's worried that some pills he took for a medical condition might have caused problems, he's also worried about the fact that he's 16 years older than me and doesn't want his age to cause problems for TTC.

Of course, I'm worrying about whether it's me that's the reason for us not getting anywhere yet. I've really upped my game and we're going all out with everything for these last two months, just in case we can get there before we go to see the doctor.

Wow January isn't far off :)

Do the pills say that they might effect male fertility? That's crazy :shock:

My hubby is 10 years older than me and we was worried about it. I know they say that male fertility tends to be alright, but it does make you wonder when they have a bit of a medical history what effect it might have.

I'm sure you'll be alright - were you using contraception before you started ttc?

I know! January is scarily close now. When we first started talking about it it was about October and it seemed close enough to be significant but far enough away that we could just ignore it. :lol: Now it's looming closer!

The pills he was on before caused problems with dry ejaculation where basically he couldn't cum, so I don't know if maybe they stopped sperm production or something. The ones he's on now have something about pregnant women taking them but nothing about them affecting male fertility. I'm fairly certain he's spoken to the doctor about the ones he's on now.

He's quite keen to have kids sooner rather than later because of his age. His Dad was about the same age as he is now when he was born & he says he doesn't want to be 'an old dad'.

The only contraception we used before TTC was condoms (and we weren't always too religious about using them, so it was that & pulling out). I never liked the idea of going on the pill because I know my Mum was on it & it took them a couple of years to get pregnant after that & she was always worried it had been because of the pill. & I'm too much of a chicken to go to the doctor to talk about coils & implants, lol.

I am sure it will happen one day for you soon, patience is all that matters lol

All you need to do is go to your GP as soon as possible, there's no need to wait because it is clear you are having trouble concieveing

I do hope you get the pill thing sorted for your hubby, even though I think it may have not caused him to have dry ejaculation? But I am not a doctor though, it may be that he was still producing sperm with his dry ejaculation, because the 'white' stuff that comes out is just the fluid and not alway sperm...

I wish you all the luck. Me and Louise are in the same boat, but we have been TTC longer, I have been TTC for over 4 years, coming up to 5 years soon

Donna x

Kizzi - I was just thinking that if you mentioned you'd been having unprotected sex for longer that they might take you more seriously.

That said, my hubby got his test without grovelling about how long we'd been trying so maybe they did take his age and medical history into consideration... or Maybe it's just a man thing, he had a male GP.

Donna - everytime you mention that you've been trying for so long i always think "omg how was you trying for soooooo long!?" :shock:

Thanks Donna, OH is scheduled for a regular appointment in January so that's why we've set the date for then. We're just relaxing into these last two cycles & seeing how they go before pushing for tests. It's been quite a stressful year & so we thought we'd wait until the major stresses had gone (OH's father had cancer & so OH was dealing with taking him for chemo & things), we didn't want the doctor to put us off by saying that it was probably why we hadn't conceived.

Thankfully he doesn't have the dry ejaculation any more, that was long before I met him. But I think we'll push for him to have some tests done as well as me because like you said, it could be connected to something else.

I can't imagine how hard it must be to be trying for so long, all through school we were told that it was so easy to get pregnant & it really isn't always!

Louise, you're thinking along the same lines as me. I've already got it planned that when they ask how long we've been trying I'll say 14 months, but we weren't that careful before we started properly.

We've decided we'll go and see OH's GP because she's the only woman in the practise and she's lovely. My GP is a man & isn't always sympathetic to 'woman's problems' like one time I was on some medication that started messing up my periods and he was like "and is that a problem?" :rolleyes:

Louise, you're thinking along the same lines as me. I've already got it planned that when they ask how long we've been trying I'll say 14 months, but we weren't that careful before we started properly.

I'd go all out and say you didn't use anything at all, but you weren't actually ttc. The problem is that they give you one chance to convince them and if you don't manage it then your in limbo.

I have only been to the doctor very rarely and never about girly stuff but when i did had a male GP as a child he was one of those where you tell him you had a really sore tummy and he's take his finger and poke you as hard as he coul and ask if it hurt lol

I'll remember that Louise. I think I'll have to coach OH before we go. Is it just him, or is it a man thing? He always downplays things, he could chop his arm off and would tell the doctor it was just a scratch! :lol:

I think some doctors just like causing pain. :lol:

Louise - We weren't careful for the first 2 years, we just didn't think or it and was not bothered if I fell pregnant or not...the other 2 years we started to TTC properly and do all the temperature charting etc...and nothing worked and went to the doctors and they said you have to come back after 2 years of TTC, so we did because we didn't think of it as a major thing or anything could be wrong.

Kizzibea - I do hope everything get's sorted soon and I suppose like you said stuff going in your life can always make it hard to go to the doctors straight the way. You will get there in the end

Donna x

Thanks Donna. :)

It seems like you get two different sorts of doctors, the ones who leap into action and try to find out exactly how they can help you to conceive, and the ones who insist you're doing something wrong or you've not been trying long enough. I know that one of the doctors at our surgery's wife had twins with IVF, so he would be my second choice with we don't get anywhere with OH's GP.

I think time can get away from you as well. This year has gone so quickly. I was so surprised when I suddenly realised how many cycles we'd been through.

exactly! we have a brilliant lady GP and she is brilliant...I wouldn't go to any other doctor and I always wait for appointments with her, even if it is a 2 week wait to see her, as she is a very popular doctor.

The other doctor we have at the same surgery was not very good and blamed everything on my weight! Well he got that wrong because it is my partner who is the problem, so to speak and has low sperm, not my weight...in which I have lost over 7 stones and still not made a difference, so yea I know what you mean about the different sort of doctors.

Donna x

I think January is not too far from now...and it's actually important to check what is wrong instead of guessing or being worried. Really it calls for worry but then, both of you should believe that all will soon be ok. Again, here am not trying to be religious so to say, but have it in mind that there is nothing God cannot do. To me, I don't think age could be a factor...but rather may want to suggest he sort out like both of you have planned to do, if the pill he took on medical condition may be the problem. However, be calm and be hopeful that you'll soon smile!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back