List of items needed for baby

flexilexi394

Reaction score
I have just read a rather helpful book, and it actually lists the minimal amount you will need for baby, so thought I'd make a note of all this stuff. I have and have found I will need around 42 items, some of them more than one of the item. This slightly worries me as I am skint, and nearly 12 weeks. I know I almost do have "ages" but I am thinking after my scan next week I should maybe start grabbing bits, as I am in no financial situation to go out and buy things all at once.

Has anyone else found this is a good way of being able to afford things? Help much appreciated. I don't want to get too over excited and stuff and tryin not to be, but I'm actually a bit worried about how much I need. X

What we are doing is creating a pot of money that we drop a bit into each time each of us gets paid. We will have enough to do most of the left over shopping before I get too far a long.

Ask any relatives that can to put some into the pot. I beleive that you are pg withing the limits to get your £190 from the government at 25 weeks so that will be good to throw into the pot. Also, keep your eye out in charity shops and any websites selling second hand suff and even your local paper. I havn't found Ebay too usefull but I know that some people have got some really good deals, especially on cots and prams. The last thing I can suggest is talk to any people who have little ones who may have just grown out of stuff or have things that you can borrow.

It will hopefully all work out, people around you wont let you go without. Also make sure you check out if you are eligable for any benefits. Every little bit helps.

xxx

I'm skint all the time but you will always find a way to buy baby stuff! It's really hard to explain but even though i haven't got alot of money atm due to car mot, tax and insurance ive still been able to buy stuff!
I buy a packet of nappies every week, asda have baby sales on nappies, wipes, clothes etc every few months, ebay is brilliant for bargains and ive brought completly new stuff from there and still found it very cheap!! Brought my moses babsket and stand for £30 and it's gorgous!!
Like shadow wolf said, you also get your £190 hip grant at 25 weeks and that comes in handy! :D

When i do my weekly food shop i have been throwing in some nappies and wipes, to stock up. So when bubba arrives your not having to go out and also spreading the costs out. Also the supermarket sleepsuits, your basic white kind are only about £3-4, so i have bought a couple of these during the occasional shop too.

We have just bought bits as we've shopped but the supermarkets have great cheap essentials!! Also keep an eye out on shops that have sales on baby stuff!! I got a load of toiletries when sainsbury's had their half price sale on toiletries!!!
Also you get the vouchers from the bounty pack for half price nappies!!

Gumtree and preloved could help you find stuff you need that is used but cheap. Friends who have kids may offer some bits of theirs or people you work with may offer stuff to you too!!

iv bought bits at car boot sales cloths have been gorgeous vests and babygrows i pick up as i go shopping plain ones are so cheap vesty things are 3 for 1 75 bargain! i bought bottles and steraliser when they were in a sale it just a case of looking round at whats on sale and joining all the pampers huggies etc websites as you can get lots of money off vouchers and freebies bought a lovely moses basket from carboot yesterday a 50quid one for 7 quid def worth having a look around

The HIP grant will help you out, and as the others have said buy bits and bobs each week. Have you looked at your outgoings and seen if you can cut things down? Do you have any friends who have children that can pass things on? xxx

Ive brought everything I need now (well getting the last few bits tonight) and Ive managed to buy everything, granted with help from family as well, while being a student at uni!

Best thing to do is keep looking out for deals as there'll be loads over the next few months and like everyone else has said, just put a few bits and bobs in your trolley each week at the supermarket.

For the big things like pram ect, it could be worth waiting until nearer christmas, as you'll probably get some fab bargins then! :D x

you guys are awesome. lol thanks for all the tips, im more thinking, shall i just start collecting? anyone else start collecting early on? x

i think i started after my first scan (but i found out i was actually 16 weeks not 12) and i am now 27wks and i have all the big things sorted so there is just the few bits i need to stock up on between now and when baby is due!!

i am quite lucky on this side of things as my OH's sister is a childminder so has EVERYTHING! :D And i know a few people who have had kids so have bits they have grown out of.

I am going to start collecting as i reach the safety stage. but earlier the better i think! :D

I am currently wondering how we are going to afford everything, even more worried about when I am matrnity leave.

I am 13 weeks tomorrow and although still have 6 months to go, that is only 6 more full pay months. I have therefore decided to start grabbing bits when I have the cash to help ease the hit of buying everything at once.

I am currently wondering how we are going to afford everything, even more worried about when I am matrnity leave.

I am 13 weeks tomorrow and although still have 6 months to go, that is only 6 more full pay months. I have therefore decided to start grabbing bits when I have the cash to help ease the hit of buying everything at once.

im with you on that! dont have a blooming clue how im going to survive on maternity pay either, bills and stuff are more than my income i think!! so going to be very interesting :shock:

so yeah i have like 5 pays left so going to get EVERYTHING ive decided! x

luckily i get paid weekly so can get bits every week xx

ask ppl you know that have children, they might have stuff left and go carboot sales. Ebay is good sometimes there is really cheap things on pick up only just cuz they want to get rid of it.
Buy something small like a pack of wipes, a pack of nappies, a cream, a bath oil, breastpads or nailklipper, cottonwool.. everytime you go shopping. its not much at the time but it would add up buying it all at the same time.
DONT buy too much clothes in smallest size, i only got some things in the smallest as they will grow out of it so quick and its better if its a little bit too big then too small.
Primark and H&M is cheap.
Only new thing of the "big" things we got is the changing table, cuz my mum bought it for us. Everything else is second hand. We have not spent alot so far maybe 300 in all and we got more or less everything (not finished paying the pram yet tho)
Your baby will not be more happy having the most expensive things, get the basics, love him/her, feed Him/her and be stocked up on nappies and you will be fine :love:

Your baby will not be more happy having the most expensive things, get the basics, love him/her, feed Him/her and be stocked up on nappies and you will be fine :love:

Agreed. as long as the baby is healthy and happy thats all i care about. xx

I have just read a rather helpful book, and it actually lists the minimal amount you will need for baby, so thought I'd make a note of all this stuff. I have and have found I will need around 42 items, some of them more than one of the item. This slightly worries me as I am skint, and nearly 12 weeks. I know I almost do have "ages" but I am thinking after my scan next week I should maybe start grabbing bits, as I am in no financial situation to go out and buy things all at once.

Has anyone else found this is a good way of being able to afford things? Help much appreciated. I don't want to get too over excited and stuff and tryin not to be, but I'm actually a bit worried about how much I need. X
Hi, this might help you out. Have you tried to go on the net, google Freecycle and the area where you live,register and then post an advert asking if anyone has any baby stuff they no longer need, you could be really lucky and pretty much kit out a nursery for free.
After all, babies outgrow everything so quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back