Making a Birthday Cake .. Help!

Foxxi

Reaction score
Up until last week I'd never made a cake in my life.. last week I made a chocolate cake, and even tho I say so myself.. it was lush!

Next week is Fynns 1st Birthday ..and I'v got the cake making bug! I'm gonna make 2 cakes.. one for nursery cos they're gonna have a little party there and one for home.

I wanna make a sponge cake one and Iv never done one of those before.. with icing and stuff on it.. Im not too bothered about cocking the one for home up... but dont really wanna cock the nursery one up... Iv searched google and photobucket for tips on decorating it.. but am still a bit stuck when it comes to icing it.. any ideas!!???

Iv got the recipe on how to make the sponge off google.. Its the icing bit that Im stuck on!! :?

Arrrggghhhh help... my heads bashed in!

Well done on getting the baking bug i love baking and then eating the cake is even better than the actual baking. There will be instructions on how to make icing on the packet. The key with icing it to add a tiny bit me water at a time till you get the right consistency. A little water goes a long way. If you do put too much in or your icing is too runny then add more icing sugar. You can flavour it with say lemon juice just use this instead of water and you can colour it too with food colouring. You can also cover the cake with ready rolled icing but you must cover the cake with a thin layer of jam first to help the icing stick, i use apricot. You can decorate with almost anything. If you use ready made icing then you will need to make up some icing to use to help stick on stuff. You can buy icing pens that are really good and easy to use if you want to write on the cake. You could decorate with buttons, dolly mixtures, smarties anything really. Good luck and post a pic when you have done so we can all drool!

you can by the coloured icing tubes or make buttercream (instructions on pack of icing) and pipe it through greaseproof paper - you can colour it and then design whatever you want on it...

you could do a coloured frosting/icing and then loads of smarties/jelly fruits for bright colours

:)

Thanx girls... great help.. cant wait to get cracking now! :D

removed photos & personal info

Last edited:
I'm in the middle of making my neice's 1st birthday cake. It's all cooked just got to ice it tonight.

I'm using Betty Crocker's premium icing for the filling (cheating here!) & roll out icing on the cake. It's a #1 shape. I'm writing her name in icing down the main body of the 1 and then decorating with suger flowers. I'm edging the bottom of the cake (half cake, half board iykwim) with icing blobs & wrapping a ribbon around the middle.

It's pretty much exactly the same as I did for dd's 1st birthday & I was really pleased with it, so fingers crossed this one goes ok!

Good luck with yours chick!

maybebaby said:
Cake 1:
100_1869.jpg

Cake 2:
100_1890.jpg

Wow they look fab! Your first time making a cake too?? Well done you... right thats it... I cant let you do a better job than me... let the cake war begin!!
:wink: :D

I love baking cakes :)

Get yourself down to tesco/asdas and have a looky in the baking section, there are so many fab things to decorate a cake with, which really make cake decorating so easy :)
I would ice it with the ready roll stuff then decorate however you want.

Remember to show us piccies :)

The best site I found for help and tips was

www.cakecentral.com

their is also a ladys website I used that was a great help - its on my favourites on my laptop so will update this post tom (as at work.

Also search you tube for anything their is videos on their. like I wanted to cover the square cake in fondant but have it all smooth etc on the corners and it showed me how to do it.

Here is my first proper effor at a cake. I made the cake, did the icing, made the bear, made the blocks and did the writing and made the little balls (obviously easy but time consuming lol)

n500714498_873042_1321.jpg

Few tips for you

* Dont roll the ready icing too thin
* Dont put anything with the ready icing on/made in the fridge or it will go all shiny wet looking like my teddy did!
* for the writing print of what you want and font in word, place it on the cake and go over it quite hard with a metal squewer (fook knows how to spell that lol) so it indents the fondant icing then go over it with your royal icing
* use lots of icing sugar when handling the icing so it doesnt get sticky!!
* leave lots of time, but relax when your doing it!

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back