MEDISED AND DOCTORS OPINION

rhian85

Reaction score
OKAY...i was just thinking back to when christopher was ill a few weeks ago he had a very very high temp and was on nurofen/medised (at night only) i told the doctor that saw him that he was having medised at night so that he could get to sleep (without it he was having ma 4 hours a night as he was so hot.

the doctor told me that he would have medised banned if it was down o him as most parents use it for peace during the night AND day and that i shouldnt give it to him .

i mean he only had one dose and that was at bed time..other thanthat he had plain calpol with nurofen

i would NEVER give it to him in thw day time anyway but id like to know what u all think to it.... :think:

do u use it ? how many doses do u give in 24 hours and should it be banned ?

(doctor was a twat by the way only left pre school last week) :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I think its useful to have a pain relief product that can help the child sleep. That way the child can get the rest they need, which is helpful for both the child and parents. As long as it's only given on a short-term basis and that the instructions are fully adhered to, I don't see any problems with Medised being available for purchase over-the-counter.

Personally, I have only given Medised to my LO the once, and that was at night to soothe her teething symptoms. Will probably be relying on it more in the near future, but plan to only give it at night.

I dunno cos I've never used it. I went to Boots the other week when Ryan was poorly and asked the pharmacist for some and she wouldn't give me any so I got Calpol Night instead, only after explaining exactly why I needed it.

If they're gonna be so arsey about it they may as well make it prescription only. I was pissed off that it's an over the counter medicine but I still wasn't allowed to get it, even though Ryan had bronchiolitis and was suffering really badly!

OopsyDaisy said:
I think its useful to have a pain relief product that can help the child sleep. That way the child can get the rest they need, which is helpful for both the child and parents. As long as it's only given on a short-term basis and that the instructions are fully adhered to, I don't see any problems with Medised being available for purchase over-the-counter.

Personally, I have only given Medised to my LO the once, and that was at night to soothe her teething symptoms. Will probably be relying on it more in the near future, but plan to only give it at night.

we only use it when needed and i told the doctor this..he said i still should not use it WTF? he had one does at bed time for 2 nights - i agree with u children need slepp in ordr to get over what ever it is they are suffering with.

i have also given him a dose at night when teethignhas been bad...but only ever used it may be /5 times in 15 months 2 of thwm being for very high fevers .

i just felt like i was a bad mother for "sedating " him as the doctor put it :roll:

medised and calpol night are EXACTLY the same! just different boxes and flavourings.

basically calpol (normal) is paracetamol - so therefore good to give if pain or fever.

calpol night and medised both contain paracetamol and an antihistamine - it was found out long ago that antihistamines make you sleepy as a side effect so they are added to paracetamol to make babies sleep. It is a fine line between using medicine to settle a baby down and "doping" them by using the side effect of a medication they don't need.

I have nothin against either of them in moderation but I do think the manufactorers should be honest about them so parents can make the choice.

x-kirsty-x said:
I dunno cos I've never used it. I went to Boots the other week when Ryan was poorly and asked the pharmacist for some and she wouldn't give me any so I got Calpol Night instead, only after explaining exactly why I needed it.

If they're gonna be so arsey about it they may as well make it prescription only. I was p*ssed off that it's an over the counter medicine but I still wasn't allowed to get it, even though Ryan had bronchiolitis and was suffering really badly!

But Calpol Night and Medised contain exactly the same ingredients at exactly the same strengths!!! Did the pharmacist give an explanation as to why they were willing to sell the Calpol Night rather than the Medised?

OopsyDaisy said:
x-kirsty-x said:

If they're gonna be so arsey about it they may as well make it prescription only. I was p*ssed off that it's an over the counter medicine but I still wasn't allowed to get it, even though Ryan had bronchiolitis and was suffering really badly!

But Calpol Night and Medised contain exactly the same ingredients at exactly the same strengths!!! Did the pharmacist give an explanation as to why they were willing to sell the Calpol Night rather than the Medised?

She looked at both the boxes and told me they were the same sort of thing and I refused to leave until she let me have one or the other, so the Calpol Night is the one I ended up with. I only wanted it cos Ryan had been really really bad, so much so that we had him in hospital, and he needed something to help him get some rest. The doctor at the hospital was the one who recommended it!

I always feel like a bad mother when I buy medised, especially when I went for the big bottle of it last time at the chemist as it was loads cheaper per ml than the small one. :rotfl:

I was giving it to Ella when she was teething badly at 14 months, but I didn't like how drowsy it made her. I can remember giving it to her in the day once and she slept for over 3 hours and through my smoke detector going off twice.

If Alex is really suffering with a cold/cough then I will give it to him at night as he's asthmatic, and that on top of a cold means he will be awake every 40 minutes, so it helps him to get some rest.

In moderation I think it's ok to use. But I think the the advertising for Calpol Night is awful as I can see some mums using it on very young babies to make them sleep.

is it ok to give them normal calpol anytime? (obviously for a temp or if teething etc) I don't often give him it but if he's grumbly with his teething i do. is that ok? its normal calpol?

Kina said:
I can remember giving it to her in the day once and she slept for over 3 hours and through my smoke detector going off twice.

Wow, is it that good? :shock:

I could definitely do with some of that :think:

Don't worry, I'm kidding :lol:

Sweetcheeks24 said:
is it ok to give them normal calpol anytime? (obviously for a temp or if teething etc) I don't often give him it but if he's grumbly with his teething i do. is that ok? its normal calpol?

yes hun normal calpol is fine to give any time (leave 4 hours betwen each dose tho) that wont do him any harm at all. :hug:

ahh thanks.. worries me when you hear loadsa different info :doh:

thanks for answering :hug:

Kina said:
I always feel like a bad mother when I buy medised, especially when I went for the big bottle of it last time at the chemist as it was loads cheaper per ml than the small one. :rotfl:

:rotfl: :rotfl: i found this too - the big bottle cheaper than the tiy one..i was in boots and the pharmacist was explaining to me loudly...

"that it wil make him go to sleeep and did i want the bigger bottle as it was better value"

there was a massive que behind e but two old ladies who were stood behind me were "tutting" so there was me quietly almost whispering asking for the big bottle.... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

i felt so ashamed tat id asked for the big bottle - i felt so bad :oops:

Medised is a medicine and has its place. I personally have never used it, but as to parents who use it to make their LO's sleep, they are bad parents, its not medised's fault :roll: If Isaac is in pain I will do and use anything to stop that, I will not feel bad for using a medicine, its such a silly thing to make parents feel :x

I think Medised is really good but I would only ever use it if Jake was ill never just to get him to sleep.

rhian85 said:
Kina said:

:rotfl: :rotfl: i found this too - the big bottle cheaper than the tiy one..i was in boots and the pharmacist was explaining to me loudly...

"that it wil make him go to sleeep and did i want the bigger bottle as it was better value"

there was a massive que behind e but two old ladies who were stood behind me were "tutting" so there was me quietly almost whispering asking for the big bottle.... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

i felt so ashamed tat id asked for the big bottle - i felt so bad :oops:

:rotfl: Did you sneak out of the chemist with it in a brown paper bag?

Kirsty I couldn't believe it! After a few times of using it I realised that the vacant look in her eyes after napping for that long wasn't good, so I started using calpol in the day and medised at night if she needed it. That period of teething at 14 months was awful, it was just as DS arrived aswell, so we'd be up all night going between a teething toddler and a very unsettled newborn (who slept in our bed so was disturbed everytime DD woke up).

Apparently some children aren't as affected by it as others though, I know a friend of mine says it has no effect on her LO :?

I was too scared to use it on DS til after he was 6 months+ as I was worried he wouldn't wake up or something awful :shock:

i use medised at night instead of calpol when luke is poorly or under the weather. i never use any medicines just for the hell of it, thats not what they are for.

I have to hold my hand up and say that I used medised when Ella wasn't ill :eek:ops We were on a long haul flight and had been waiting on the plane for a hour before take off (she was kicking the old ladies seat in front aswell, how embarassed was I when the old dear kept turning around and tutting). The flight was 9.5 hours long, plus that hour on the ground meant that we were in for the flight from hell. I'd exhausted every new toy in my bag by one hour into the flight and she was literally bouncing off the walls, so I gave her medised. After a while it kicked in and she had a much needed nap (she'd had 5 hours sleep the night before and was up at 5am). This was in December, just before her 2nd birthday.
*Awaits the lynching* :rotfl:

rhian85 said:
the doctor told me that he would have medised banned if it was down o him as most parents use it for peace during the night AND day and that i shouldnt give it to him .

I'm guessing the Doctor in question doesn't have any children?!

Maia has had quite a bit of medised lately. I don't relish giving to her, but it is an excellent decongestant and so helps babies sleep when they have a cold.

No need to feel guilty.

Kina said:
I have to hold my hand up and say that I used medised when Ella wasn't ill :eek:ops *Awaits the lynching* :rotfl:

FIND HER, HUNT HER DOWN :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back