Menstrual Cups

mrsT

Reaction score
Anyone heard of these?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOONCUP-menstrual ... dZViewItem

Just heard about them on 'it's not easy being green'

Ian and I are about to go on a saving spree next month. I am not changing Ellie to cloth nappies at this late stage, but the next baby will be in them.
A lady on the aforementionned programme said she felt guilty using cloth nappies on her kid, but using tampons and pads herself that went to landfill. As much as I agree with that - its also the cost that gets me. I use loads when I get my period as I am the most paranoid person who changes every hour (apart from at night obviously!).

This looks interesting, and the idea is good, but I'm not sure how comfortable it would be (esp as I would need size A...!)

Anyone else heard of them - or used them, or would consider using them???
Interested in hearing your thoughts.

Ive not seen them but ive heard someone mention them. They look weird though lol :lol:

I've got one :D

They're pretty easy to use once you get the hang of them but I have to use a liner too. I use cloth liners too now as I can just throw them in with the nappies. :D

ok - thanks Minxy
Do you mind if I ask - how far up do you put them, sorry if a bit personal. I can't really suss it in my head.

mrsT said:
ok - thanks Minxy
Do you mind if I ask - how far up do you put them, sorry if a bit personal. I can't really suss it in my head.

:lol: I was kinda wondering the same!

:shock: really concerned...when I turn 30 next month I will be eligble for A cup...does that mean I develop a Wizard's Sleeve overnight? :rotfl:

lol - hey - that's insulting to my wizards sleeve!!! I'm only 21...
I'm going to need a husband with a bigger willy!!! :shock:

It sits sort of half way up.

You squeeze it and put it in then it 'boings' open (sorry TMI :oops: )

lol - ok
How much did you pay for yours (don't want to get ripped off)
I will definitely get one as next baby will probs be my last, if not for a very long time!!!
Might get one this month. ooo getting exciting about shopping, even though it's for something like this!!!!

thats wierd. but a good idea to save money.

i fear i wouldnt be able to use it properly though :?

They have disposable versions of these in the states but I can't for the life of me remember what they were called. Came in individual pink wrappers like a panty liner etc does...I never used them but heard they take practice to get right (mind you doesn't a tampax too!) I just think I'd prefere daily disposable ones to the ones you wash/sterilise and keep that we have over here.

I was thinking about ngetting these too but haven't got round to it yet.

The ones in the states are called instead cups

The disposable ones defeat the point for me as I'm doing it to be a bit greener (and save cash) I'd just use a tampon if I was going to chuck it? :?

Mine was aabout £18 I think :D

Cool - thanks for that.
I can see it taking a lot of getting used to - but I agree that I took ages to get used to Tampons (when I was younger I never used to put them in high enough :oops: and they would be really uncomfortable and would move down when I laughed or coughed :shock: :shock: :shock: ) - I got the hang of it eventually though :p!
I also like the fact that there is nothing to thrown away - once you have discarded the contents and rinsed you are good to go - I do wonder about public toilets though - ppl might look at you funny rinsing it in the sinks and them going back in the toilets to refit it...

fothers said:
The ones in the states are called instead cups

Ahh that's it! I think they are made by Playtex? Don't really know. But agreed on the whole re-usable/disposable thing on the greener issue. Hence another reason were using cotton nappies - same sorta thing really.

:think: Not sure I'd use them TBH. How do you take them out without ...erm....spilling the contents?

mrsT said:
ppl might look at you funny rinsing it in the sinks and them going back in the toilets to refit it...

:lol:

It's fine to wipe it out with loo roll as long as it gets washed once you're home.

SK, I find if you take it out over the loo there's no problem :D

OK - cool

Thanks for answering my q's by the way.
It's handy to speak to someone who's had experience of them!!

Just one more TMI question...
What do they feel like in? Can you feel them or is it like a tampon where it almost seems to disappear inside you?

I think you can FEEL it more than a tampon at certain angles, but it's certainly not uncomfortable and you get used to it being there :D

If you using cloth nappies I'd get some cloth pads as a backup too.

I've got Weenotions 'fairy hammocks' and Peeweez pads

OK - thanks for that
(just bought one... strange thing is - even though i'm TTC'ing I kinda want to come on this month to use it!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back