More homework for children....

Kylie1007 said:
Nope. we're only after the easy life Lou :rotfl:

:rotfl: indeed! Kidding aside, it takes AGES to sort out homework and then mark it afterwards too. I wouldn't mind if it was a useful exercise. :roll:

On a more serious note, kids have a long enough day at school, without having to sit down afterwards and do extra maths etc. They need time to play and unwind - it's no wonder children are "turning into adults" at such a young age.

Kylie1007 said:

I'm sure you are :wink: Lets hope you teachers kick up a fuss about it then so more homework isn't given :D

Happybunny said:
Kylie1007 said:

:rotfl: indeed! Kidding aside, it takes AGES to sort out homework and then mark it afterwards too. I wouldn't mind if it was a useful exercise. :roll:

I agree - some parents expect it and so you're hunting around for something to give and end up copying a page from a book which is just pointless. I don't mind if they have to go home and do some research or something like that.

George is 12 and gets loads of homework although he is crafty and goes to the library and does some of it at lunchtime at school with his friends so they aren't spending most of the evening doing it.

I agree though they get too much and when they come home kids should be spending time with their parents and enjoying just being a kid. Most kids nowadays have hobbies and interests that take up a lot of their spare time.

I think they should have to do some homework especially if they struggle in a certain area like in George's case Maths. But when he has D&T homework or even PE homework I don't see the point.

I heard this morning they want to ban homework because it stresses our children too much :? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7287962.stm Can never see it happening though, unless they increased school hours, We have always done a lot with our two eldest, both were reading before they went to school, but they weren't pressured, they just picked it up. I too, wouldnt want to leave it to the state, and I think that there is such a lot of pressure on kids, what ever happend to kids playing? In other European countries, children dont start formal education until they are 6, some of our children start at 4. I think its quite sad really, they have to grow up so fast :(

Im dreading Stephen going to school alone let alone homework. I barely have time to do anything as its get in from pre school, have his snack, playtime, then I have to do dinner in between all of this and keep the baby entertained! and then its bath and bed by 7.30, by then im knackered!

How am i going to fit in homework>well the oh can do it with him as he does sweet FA around the house.

http://www.pregnancyforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=60626

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Tia gets way more homework than my friends little boy whos a year older and lives in the UK...British kids have it easy in comparison. Tia's school bag weighs about 15kg with all her books and has to lug it to and from school everyday. She also goes to school from 9am to 5pm...the does homework from 6pm till 9pm, even then she rarely finishes it, and gets a black mark the next day for not doing her homework...after homework she has dinner and goes to bed at 10pm... if shes lucky she will get a homework free day... but they are rare...

All her homework is due in the next day and she usually has language and maths that need to be completed. I rarely see her... and usually Saturday morning consists of doing the homework she didn't manage to finish on Friday night. It really gets my goat up that this is the image I have of my daughter... :wall: :wall: :wall: I want to spend more time with her and I don't want the only words spoken between us to be.... "have you finished your homework yet"

IMGP0143.jpg

Squiglet said:
http://www.pregnancyforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60626

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Tia gets way more homework than my friends little boy whos a year older and lives in the UK...British kids have it easy in comparison. Tia's school bag weighs about 15kg with all her books and has to lug it to and from school everyday. She also goes to school from 9am to 5pm...the does homework from 6pm till 9pm, even then she rarely finishes it, and gets a black mark the next day for not doing her homework...after homework she has dinner and goes to bed at 10pm... if shes lucky she will get a homework free day... but they are rare...

All her homework is due in the next day and she usually has language and maths that need to be completed. I rarely see her... and usually Saturday morning consists of doing the homework she didn't manage to finish on Friday night. It really gets my goat up that this is the image I have of my daughter... :wall: :wall: :wall: I want to spend more time with her and I don't want the only words spoken between us to be.... "have you finished your homework yet"

IMGP0143.jpg

aww bless her, she's lovely :D That is way too much homework!!!!! I'd look for another school if I were you :shock:

as a teaching assistant I can see argments for and against.i agree children spend a lot of time in school as it is and need time out for just being a child.one the other hand parents must accept some responsibilty for education.

As a parent I know how hard it is to try and fit everything in and still find quality time.However,as the mum of a dyslexic child I know that I need to do extra lessons with my 6 year old just for her to keep up with the class.She became very self conscious of the fact she couldnt keep up and became withdrawn but with the extra lessons we do outside school which is basically homework she keeps up and on occasion passes herclassmates.

We have reading of 15 minutes daily,spelling once a week that takes about 10 minutes and on a friday we have reading,maths,english and usally at least 2 other subjects.it takes about 2hours to do on a friday night.As I want her to still be a child homework is done on a friday night usally.homework is banned on a saturday and thats the day where she is basically allowed to play and run free as it were.She also gets to stay up late ona saturday which she loves of course.

She seems ok with the arrangement so far hopefully she will be ok if it does get to be more

Happybunny wrote quite rightly about parents maybe teaching their children in a different way than the school.

In our school they hold workshops, so far I have attended maths, science and Thrass workshops, they just show parents how teachers are teaching our children, so you can follow on through with this at home.

Some parents cannot make the workshops due to work, but can still pick up all the info they need from the teacher.

Some parents are just too lazy or cannot be bothered, the last workshop I attended there were only 3 of us.

I also have gone into school to help children read, and it is really easy to tell which children who get help at home from those who dont.

jue said:
Happybunny wrote quite rightly about parents maybe teaching their children in a different way than the school.

In our school they hold workshops, so far I have attended maths, science and Thrass workshops, they just show parents how teachers are teaching our children, so you can follow on through with this at home.

Some parents cannot make the workshops due to work, but can still pick up all the info they need from the teacher.

Some parents are just too lazy or cannot be bothered, the last workshop I attended there were only 3 of us.

I also have gone into school to help children read, and it is really easy to tell which children who get help at home from those who dont.

I don't think any of us would argue the case against more homework simply so parents who can't be bothered don't have to make an effort but thats not the case for every parent. I'm thinking more about parents who want their children to have other interests out of school and do other activities, like I said before, karate, football, dance etc. Also there are parents that work all hours just to pay a mortgage, put food on the table and clothes on their kids backs and finding time to do extra homework in the evenings is just going to stretch an already busy lifestyle and limit the amount of time doing what they want to do with their children. Really we shouldn't have to be told how to teach our children the same way as teachers as the teachers way isn't always the right way or the best way because all children are different and have different needs. As far as I am concerned the time Isaac will spend at school is for him to learn aswell as be cared for. When that bell rings at the end of the school day thats when I take over. Theres more to bloody life than school!

I agree there is more to life than school, I am not trying to be judgemental. I was just pointing out that there are ways of keeping up with what goes on in school. The workshops that I mentioned worked well for my me and my dd.

My daughter has a full life outside of school, swimming, karate and dance, not to mention her friends, so we are all pretty busy. I prefer it that way as it means less TV time :)

joshua is in year 1 and he gets 10 spellings on a monday to learn for Friday morning. He gets a book in his blue book bag that he has to read to us out loud, and then he gets a book in his yellow book that we read to him. it is far too much to cope with.

A lady i work with her children are at independant schools and they dont finish until 8.30 as thats when they do their homework.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back