My nightmare 48 hrs

mablestarr

Reaction score
As some of you know I went to have my 4d scan on wednesday after work and was slightly worried about baby's size being on the small side.
The 4d scan was amazing and we could see so much detail on the baby but ...

after about an hour of checking the sonographer said she was very concerned about the size of the baby as it measured about 23-24 weeks rather than the 27weeks + 5days. Also a major concern was that there did not appear to be good blood flow to the baby through the placenta. After telling me all this she took my blood pressure which was a shocking 156/110. The consultant was called in and he explained that he though I should go into hospital to be checked over. Fortunately the consultant works at the Leeds General Infermary and called them to arrange for me to go in. His main worry was that I had pre-eclampsia but my urine was clear so it was all a bit strange.
So went in to LGI and was monitored and my blood pressure was not comming down so was given some medication to lower it and was given a steroid injection for the baby, and had to stay in over night to be constantly monitored - resulting in no sleep.
Yesterday blood pressure was still a bit high but slightly lower so more medication. Had scan to check blood flow and that had improve probably due to the steroids. Consultant also suggested having an amnio to rule out all the chromosonal conditions, so decided to have that done. Finally by late afternoon yesterday my pressure was within the normal range but at the high end. Had to stay in to be monitored over night and to wait the amnio results and had another scan today.
Amnio has come back good for Patau and Edwards syndrome but will have to wait until Monday for the Downs results. So the consultant seemed slightly baffled, he said to take each week as it comes but also said to prepare for the chance that if the baby does not show any signs of growing then it will need to be delivered. I'm really hoping to be able to go a few more weeks as the baby currently weighs only 1 and a half pounds.
My blood glucose levels are also all over the place due to the steroids, and have been told that I'll probably need to be on insulin soon to control them.
So I'm home and trying to relax, but still a bit shakey.
Sorry for the long post. But I know that there others of you out there who have had gone through similar things so I know how supportive you all are. xxxx

oh gosh, sounds like a complete nightmare. I was admitted with high BP last week so know in some ways how you must be feeling. At least they are keeping a close eye on you now, if anything untoward does happen at least you know it will get picked up straight away x

Oh Mablestar, just searched high and low for your post on this- found it!

what a rougth time you have had hun, glad your BP is now down as that's not good, mind you to be honest all that news to process must take it's toll Hun. you were in the best place and that consultant sounded great that was also at the scan place- what a find!

I have everything crossed that baby has a spurt and catches up, and even if slower , justs keeps growing, good luck on the waiting for results , I had a cvs and so I know what that waiting is like, your in limbo till you know where you are. Just shout if you ever need a chat, we are all here for you X:hug:

Last edited:
Oh how scary for you. Sorry you've had to be in hospital and go through all of this. Fingers crossed LO has a growth spurt and you can carry on with pregnancy for a while yet. :hug:

:hugs: Hope the Downs results come back ok and bubs starts growing faster soon x

Massive hugs x what an awful time you've had of it! Wouldn't downs be picked up on a 4D scan? x hope all comes back clear x thinking of you x

The consultant is pretty certain that they baby doesn't have Downs as in all the scans and the 4d scan everything looks normal apart from the size. I'm taking confort in the fact that it looks like the baby has my big nose!!

what an awful time, I hope the results come back fine for you and that this gets controlled so baby does not come too early xx

*hugs* sorry you're having to go through this hunni! Hope baby catches up!

wow thats a scary thing to be told, so well done for dealing with it and stuff! i hope your baby does do some catching up and its nothing too serious, and if bubs does have to be delivered youve had the necessary treatment and youre in the best hands. really hope your ok and you always have our support :) :hugs: xxxx

hope all is well mablestar and your feeling a bit better after the nasty 48 hours xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hope all goes well. Am sure you and baby will be ok... Keep us posted. Hugsxxxxx

I hope everything will be fine for you, what were the steriod injections for? where they to mature the baby's lungs? I have not experienced high bp, but I have had a pregnancy from hell where the odds where not good, my waters broke at 22 weeks and they told me i would go into labour within 48 hours and there was nothing they could do because i was too early and my little boy would die, well i am happy to report when i hit 30 weeks my waters came back more, and i was allowed weekend leave i finally went into labour at 33 weeks whilst on weekend leave and h was fine and healthy weighing a good 4lb 6 breathing on his own which I think is down to the steriod injections after them telling me at scan 2 days before he was too small and only weighing 3lb so the scan was out by nearly a pound and a half. I met alot of women in there wt allsots of problems one girl had similar to you baby measuring tiny for date and blood flow from placenta wasn't very good and they were keeping an eye on her because the thought baby woul be better out than in, she was allowed home a few weeks late she was back in and ended up after a few days stay having her baby he was small but healthy, i hope you too have a miracle story to tell

Thanks ladies for all your support - its all taking a bit of time to sink in but all I can do is carry on as normal and hope for the best. Back in hospital this morning for a scan to check the blood flow so I'm hoping its good news. Its just all a bit uncertain about what they will do and how often they will need to monitor the baby etc, but that can be discussed today.

MOM - yes the steroids are to strengthen the baby's lungs, but it also seems to have improve the blood flow in the placenta and has done something to by boobs as they have gone massive over the weekend and are leaking a lot more. So perhaps my whole body just needed a a little kick to keep things going.

Its a comfort to know that there are so many babies who are growing up healthily after having a difficult time before and during birth.
xxxxxxxxxx

I'm glad things seem to be improving for you! Keep us updated!
XxX

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back