Nappies!

TashaWink

Reaction score
Hi ladies, been thinking about re-usable nappies for a while now (need to talk to OH about this) but i think it makes complete sense money wise and eco-friendly wise i recycle so why shouldn't i do this!

Just need some advice please! I have no idea about the nappies, no one i know has every used them.

With wet nappies do you just wash them and with solid do you dispose of the poo then wash?
how many nappies would one baby need?
do they leak?
do they smell? (my sister babysat a child who used these and he forever smelt)

I really have no clue about these so any information would be great!

I didn't want to trace through loads of websites when i could get hands on experience.

thanks

With wet nappies do you just wash them and with solid do you dispose of the poo then wash?
how many nappies would one baby need?
do they leak?
do they smell? (my sister babysat a child who used these and he forever smelt)

I soak my nappies before washing them but that's easily done in a bin with a lid. I only do that cos I don't do a wash every night, but you can dry pail if you've not got them sitting around for ages! While Lizzie's poo was still very runny I didn't bother trying to dispose of it, just held the top of the nappy, dipped the nappy in the loo and flushed most of it off, then straight in the wash/soak! Once your baby starts solid food and has 'proper' poo then you can catch it in a liner and dispose of it.

I didn't use reusables until Lou was at least 3 months because you get through A LOT when they are really little. Once we got into a decent routine with nappy changes she probably used 6 during the day. We still used disposables at night, just to have one less thing to worry about, but you can get extra boosters for night time.

We had a few leaks while trying out different brands - they've all got different shapes and it depends on the shape of your baby. Lizzie has quite little legs so some nappies are too wide round the legs. You really need to try a few brands/types before you buy a stash.

We've never had smells (apart from the usual). In fact, when I use a disposable on Lizzie now I think she stinks! I hate the smell of the gel inside them!

I posted this a while back..see if it helps :) http://www.pregnancyforum.co.uk/alternative-parenting/208822-nappy-pics.html

Last edited:
Hiya

It is a big confusing topic, so I would highly recommend finding a local nappucino (coffee morning for nappies!), advisors and mums using them will be on hand to give advice and demos too.

95% of nappies are only available online too, so by finding a demo you can have a play!

Also, check with your local council as some provide incentive schemes. If you are in London good place to find local events is the Real Nappies for London website, I'm not allowed to post the weblink as am a new user, but it is: www. realnappiesforlondon. org. uk/ scheme / eventsdiary . php - without any spaces :)

Thanks Beenz i signed up to that just need to send some info off to them then i'll get them! Will be talking to my midwife at next app to discuss too and she should be able to point me in the right direction of how to go about this! Asked my mum and she only knows about old fashioned Terrys. And my sister piped up about the little boy she babysat that stank and with the solids how it was disgusting (but that really doesn't bother me and OH)

i never soak them

they never leak (unless he hasnt been changed for ages by his father)

i use Boots nappy liners which collect all the poo and this goes in the bin, boots are the best ones, they are the widest so easier for nappies

I got a load of different types to try out, then i bought a bunch in the style i like the most

i use napisan, a bit of ecover and NO softener when i wash them

They dont smell

some types are really good and slim fitting (bum genius flips) and these are my favourite!

they save me Loads of money

I've seen a few on e-bay that are really cheap and that way i can try a few and see which i like best!

Yea they are secondhand- just confused with all the types! :) Need to find one i like! I just purchased (for £10.50):

4 Cotton Bottoms newborn nappy wraps
9 Snuggle Naps
14 Towelling inners (nappies)
10 cotton inners
16 fleece liners
3 Towelling/fleece liners
200 disposable one way nappy liners

nappies.png

Will see how these go. Are these the 2 part ones?

Last edited:
yes :) the wrap is the plastic bit you put over the nappy :) wool works really well too :)

Thank you So much! Haven't got a clue as you can tell! :) And can't really talk to any of my imidiate family about this as they don't know and just say i'm crazy for even thinking about it! :) Thank god for this forum! :)

West London hey! I am in Salisbury, which is pretty close to you!

If you ever find yourself in The West Country, i am right by Stonehenge, pop in for a cuppa! x

We do Sometimes visit London (its just So expensive though) but rarely. If we do i will let you know x

I agree with fi secondhand is definitely better than ebay cheapies i have to boost them which then makes them bulky! im going to have a bit of a destash of Nappies soon if your interested x

Bum, pardon the pun, they don't have a nappycino in my area in Bournemouth

Yeah but you have me in Salisbury! We can meet and talk about nappies, you can have a look at a few types that i have etc xx

Picked up my first lot of secondhand nappies! Love them already! :) They don't seem too bulky so heres hoping they fit well! Can't wait to use them! Will be buying some Bamboo inners as i've heard alot about these! The lady i got them off showed me how they go together and everything! Lovely!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back