Off-road mums - which pram?

mayday

Reaction score
My MIL has kindly offered to buy us a pram, now that I have announced I wil be producing her first granddaughter (this is, for her, my biggest achievement in life to date. Becoming an airline pilot and competing in my sport at a national level is just fluff!)

I need a pram which will be genuinely used off road, not just the prammy version of a Chelsea tractor, and have been advised to get a 3-wheeler. We live down a dirt track and have a small-holding which is located on a hillside - I expect that in order to inspect the more remote parts of the land I will have to take baby with me across a muddy slope. I can't be expected to never venture outside at home until baby can walk with me! I also go to lots of county shows so would need something that baby can be comfortable in for a day in the sunshine, and will have space for evrything I might need to carry with me. While my baby is very small I would like to be able to see her as I push her around.

I have noticed that not all 3-wheelers are the same; some have big wheels, some have big back wheels and little front wheels, on some all the wheels are small. Some have a separate carry-cot which makes it lok like a traditional pram, some click down to lie the baby flat. Does anyone who regularly goes off-road have any suggestions for pram models I should look at?

have you thought about getting a sling/ baby carrier of some sort for when you are at home, might be easier than pushing a push chair.

Not sure other than that - one with good suspension and chunky tyres I would imagine!

You could get a Jeep pram/pushchair?! after all they are offroad vehicles.

quinny buzz has great suspension

Hiya

I got a Urban Detour from mothercare for my first it was great bit heavy though it is a 3 wheeler with air tyres so great for off roading i live inthe country and was always out walking it's a really comfy ride for her and i still use it now sometimes if my DH is with me to push my son in his, comes with a car seat that clips in.

Heather

lozzijane said:
quinny buzz has great suspension

We have the Buzz...and I love it. We used the carrycot when she was tiny, so she could lie flat, tend to use the maxi cozy car seat on the Buzz frame for walks at the mo,its more open and I can still look at her facing me. its very lightweight and easy to push. I Love how easy it is to use. Its good on most ground except sand!!! We tried on beach and ground to a halt!!! :shock: We tend to use a baby carrier now for long/bumpy walks and the Buzz for everything else

Hope this helps xxxx

Brilliant - thanks everyone. We've decided to go for the Quinny Speedi, which seems like the Buzz but with one big front wheel instead of 2 little ones. It still takes the same carry cot and car seat. Only problem is it doesn't come in such cool colours, but hey! Glad to hear those with Quinny prams like them. We have bought a sling too.

:cheer: Good choice!! We got black-its practical and keeps cleaner!!! We will go for the Quinny Zapp stroller when she is bigger for hols etc xxx

h33 said:
Hiya

I got a Urban Detour from mothercare for my first it was great bit heavy though it is a 3 wheeler with air tyres so great for off roading i live inthe country and was always out walking it's a really comfy ride for her and i still use it now sometimes if my DH is with me to push my son in his, comes with a car seat that clips in.

Heather

we have one too and i agree -we live in the counrty and i do a 2 1/4 mile walk everyday with alex in ours (and now he is 16 months thats about 3-4 stone of baby and pushchair!!) and apart from the uphill bit its a dream to push. it is heavy - not one for the bus but i had a carrier when he was wee and a light stroller now he is older.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

mayday said:
Brilliant - thanks everyone. We've decided to go for the Quinny Speedi, which seems like the Buzz but with one big front wheel instead of 2 little ones. It still takes the same carry cot and car seat. Only problem is it doesn't come in such cool colours, but hey! Glad to hear those with Quinny prams like them. We have bought a sling too.

I was away to say we have the Quinny Speedi and it is great!!

This is our one
speedi.jpg

speedi2.jpg

We have tried Ruby in the pushchair part of the Buzz today, we are going away tomorrow and the carrycot is too bulky to take, she LOVES it, its more enclosed than the car seat on the chassis, and nice and roomy for her, it reclines and she looks so comfy and happy in it!!! I am delighted!!! :cheer: A real charriot for my Princess :lol: xxx

Twice in the space of 2 weeks I have seen "broken down" 3 wheeler prams that have the type of wheels you pump up so if I lived down a track like that I'd go for solid rubber ones. I saw an old couple with 2 little ones on the canal towpath completely stranded as the tyres were flat and a dad frantically pumping the tyres up again on the canal towpath. Its not got glass but is a bit rocky in places.

When I go to my Dad's our one stands up no problem and he lives on a farm with a dirt-track road up to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back