Parenting and Birthing classes

Laura_James&Amber

Reaction score
We had our first class today and it was all about labour and birth. I can't make up my mind as to weather I enjoyed it or not! The M/W who did the class was really nice and very informative but it kind of scared me a bit! We had to watch a video of a woman giving birth, think thats what scared me! A lot of what she told us I already knew from being on here! It was ok though I guess. OH enjoyed it and he says he's feeling a lot more prepared about it all and he was able to ask the M/W questions about HIS concerns and it seems to have calmed him down a lot so it wasn't all bad! Any of you had your classes yet and how did you find them?

My first class is next week so not had this experience yet :roll: :D

I also hate movies of people giving birth...walking around naked etc :puke: so I hope they don't play us too many :lol:

Hubby is refusing to go to any of them. Partly because he's also worried about seeing any of the above and partly because it might not always fit in with his shift patterns. He reckons I can teach him everything he needs to know :shock: :talkhand: Cop out lol! :lol:

we've had our classes & we didnt get shown or talk about anything gorry (?spelling) at all. we all sat round a big table, talked about things that could help you relax, what is classes as 1st, 2nd & 3rd stage of labour... when to go into hospital (basically she said when we couldnt cope anymore but im hoping for homebirth anyway) & then the next class was what sort of interventions could take place if needed. All a bit dissappointing really but think my OH liked them as he doesnt DO reading :wink: so it helped him understand whats going to happen. We got asked what, is anything, we learnt... he only said that labour could be the quickest 3hr or the longest 3 days of his life :rotfl:

I did them with DS and was going to do then this time but to be honest MW never mentioned them and I cant be bothered now.

I avoid birth stories on here so bugger watching videos of women!! I remember at the last classes a woman that already had three kids came and just spent the whole time anxious and crying (especially at the mention of birth)and at the time DH and me thinking she was nuts, however Im slightly sympathetic now!

I will be sticking to moaning on here me thinks!!

We had all of ours but luckily didn't have to watch a video of a birth - I think I would have fainted as am rubbish with things like that!

Ours were much more chat based and I found ours quite helpful :) Glad your OH found it useful :D

I've got my first antenatal class at the end of this month, I hope it won't be too bad!!

Noor ~ul~usman - the video wasn't that bad and the woman in it wasn't naked! it wasn't even really gory or disgusting, the bit I didn't like was the head coming out because everything stretches so much!! Your OH might enjoy it, James really surprised me today, I thought he'd hate it but he was really interested!

Kerryp - Ours were very similar to yours, think my OH enjoyed them more than me too!

armintalovegrove - There was also a woman at ours who seemed really scared and said all she wants is drugs!! :lol: :lol:

Mildly - I found ours quite helpful too. At least you don't have to be down that end!! James really impressed me actually! He's really looking forward to the experience and actually wants to watch LO coming out, he didn't want to before!

AliCat - There not that bad, honest! they are really useful

we had our 3rd one of 4 last wednesday. We never saw a video of a birth, but then again we have watched alot of them on Discovery Health. We had a hospital tour on Wed and it was very quiet so we managed to see all the rooms. We have discussed pain relief and when to come into hospital. Last one next week is all about breathing and excerises.

There is a breastfeeding class but ive decided to wait until Matthew is born and will get some advice when im in the hospital.

We have had ours and we watched 2 videos which were made in the 70's 80's and sooo cheesy and the woman giving birth must of been the most chilled out person in labour ever so hardly felt realistic, they were almost skipping into the hospital lol!!
Learnt some things though and glad we went as put my mind at rest on a few things.
Looking round the hospital and knowing where i'm going has def helped as i worry about silly things like that!!! lol

Im not doing the parent education classes :oops: Ive signed up for the feeding workshop and relaxation/physiotherapy classes..
I cant be doing with having the heebie jeebies put up me :shock: (just from word of mouth on what they are like)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Currish
Back